PDA

View Full Version : Zometa side effects

Adriana Mangus
04-27-2013, 08:13 PM
Hi Everyone,

I'd like to know if any of you has had any side effects with Zometa. I had an infusion about a week ago and got real sick with chills, fever and a headache. Is this something any of you experienced with the first treatment? Any other side effects besides these? Is it common to have these side effects with each infusion or just the first time?

I appreciate your response. Thank you.

Adriana

Jackie07
04-27-2013, 11:46 PM
So sorry for the side effects you are experiencing. Below is a WebMD link on the side effects caused by Zometa:

http://www.webmd.com/drugs/drug-21757-Zometa+IV.aspx?drugid=21757&drugname=Zometa+IV

Becky
04-28-2013, 04:59 AM
I took Zometa and the same thing happened to me but only for the first infusion and never during any other. I know this is common to happen this way and I am sure others on this board will say the same.

sassy
04-28-2013, 02:35 PM
I had the same side effects the first time and subsequently only feel very tired the evening/night of the infusion. Next day I'm fine. Also, my infusions are only every six months, so the time between did not engender any side effects.

Adriana Mangus
04-28-2013, 06:58 PM
Sassy, Becky and Jackie,

Thank you so much for your response.

Now I feel much better!!!

Love,

Adriana

caya
04-29-2013, 06:48 AM
Hi Adriana,

I had my first Reclast infusion (same class of drug as Zometa) about 15 months ago - I also experienced the same symptoms as you and the others did. I am scheduled to have my second infusion this summer.

Glad to hear that it's a first time s.e. (hopefully!)

all the best
caya

dchips1
04-29-2013, 03:57 PM
yup 1rst time felt like the worst flu body aching mess for about 36 hours after. The rest were ok and just took tylenol before and after. Just a little achy

Peace and prayers
Darita

tricia keegan
06-04-2013, 04:01 PM
I had this too but only on the first infusion and any others were fine!

Gaver
07-20-2013, 01:31 AM
hey,

my mom also just had her 1st infusion of Zoldonast or Zometa as u locally call it and she also had fever and chills.It has become better on the second day...Fever has become less, no chills n getting better...it only happens after the first infusion.

My mom s oncologist prescribed it for her osteoporosis once every six months.

turtle
07-20-2013, 07:09 AM
hi everyone- I have had one Zometa infusion- my doc had me load up on calcium for a few days before, and continue for a few days after- I had almost no side effects- maybe a little bit achy, but the calcium seemed to help tremendously-

good luck to all !

CoolBreeze
08-11-2013, 05:35 PM
I've been on Zometa for four years. Only had the flu-ish feeling once. My first dose was a year before my second and even though it had been all that time, I didn't have any issues with infusion #2. Now I get it monthly and don't even notice it.

And, based on my knowledge and what my doctor sai turtle's comment about the calcium is helpful. He said that all of us on Zometa should be on calcium - not because it will help with side effects but it helps with the bone strengthening. Without calcium, it is hard to build bone. Of course, we should be taking it every day.

Unfortunately, I keep forgetting to take mine. I MUST get better!

Good luck to all newbies who are starting it. Most people I've heard report the first one is slightly difficult and the rest are okay so I hope that is everybody's experience. :)