PDA

View Full Version : from a PM I received re: Gamma knife...

SoCalGal
03-27-2013, 11:15 AM
This is from a PM I received, am posting to share info and so it's searchable...

QUESTION TO SoCalGal:
"I see you had a gamma knife procedure for a 13mm spot in the brain, I would like to ask if you had any side effects from the procedure."

MY REPLY:
Sorry to hear about the met. I always say, that of all treatments I've had, the gamma zappa was impressively easy and efficient. I went in at 7:00 AM and was literally home by 11:00 AM. The only side effect was a numb feeling where the halo is drilled in to the scalp - there are 4 points of "drilling". The drilling is not deep at all - it is all much weirder and scarier sounding than the actual experience. I did not use any pre-meds or sedation. They give you a tiny numbing shot where each screw for the halo goes, the rest is crazy sound effects and the weird feeling of having a contraption screwed to your head - there is a slight pressure - my brain surgeon did all the drilling, right in a normal room - my girlfriend and boyfriend were right there the whole time. They left me with the halo on and then I waited about 45 min while the physicists plotted and planned the final gamma set up. Then the actual gamma zap was only a few minutes. You lay on the table and the halo is "clicked" into place to hold your head 100% still so they can zap only the met and nothing else. There was no pain from the gamma knife. Then the Halo was removed and I was sent home. I think the surgeon had me take a 10 mg prednisone that night and maybe again the next morning, but knowing me, I probably didn't follow that advice. So, I've been lucky and fine ever since. The brain scans following showed no activity, then reduction, then no sign of anything and then at about the 3 year mark, necrosis showed up. So now, I have an unchanged area of necrosis (dead tissue) that shows on my brain mri for over a year. No one is concerned. Hope this helps you move thru the procedure! Modern medicine can be so miraculous. Stay strong!

yanyan
03-27-2013, 01:45 PM
Hi Flori ! Thanks for sharing with us your gamma experience. It reminded me of the eye lasik procedure i went through 3 years ago only that was not a had to be done procedure. They did give me a big teddy bear to cuddle with !
Very happy for you that you have remained NED in the brain. Hoping Perjeta is bringing you good news !