PDA

View Full Version : Why am I not surprised?

Redwolf8812
03-08-2013, 05:07 AM
A couple of days after my most recent chemo, my face broke out in acne but went away after a few days. It was not bothersome, just ugly. But now all my skin is itchy. My research on this chemo drug (taxotere) tells me that these are common side effects but, given my notorious reactions to meds & chemos, I just had bloodwork to determine if this is yet another allergic reaction. I'm not sure if the oncologist will keep me on this regime or not. If it's just a side effect, they may try to treat the itchiness but if it's an allergic reaction, they may want me off it (allergic reactions can get worse, such as breathing issues). I am slowly but surely exhausting all my options. I sure wish God's Will wasn't always so tough. I will post an update when I know more. Please keep praying for me and mine. Thanks.

Penny
http://www.carepages.com/carepages/PennyKnowles
July 2010 IDC grade 3 stage 3 er-/pr-/her2+++, BRCA2
Skin mets 11/10
1/12/11 Surgery path - complete response
Rads 2/11-4/11
Liver mets 11/11 now stage IV
Xeloda & Tykerb 12/11
Allergic reaction to Tykerb 12/11
Xeloda only 12/11
Added herceptin January 2012
Progression February 2012.
Started Veliparib (parp inhibitor) trial 3/5/12.
4/30/12 Liver met shrunk in half! Praise Jesus!
6/18/12 another 25% shrinkage, down to @3x3. Thank you, God!
8/8/12 Brain MRI - clear! Praise to You, Lord Jesus Christ!
8/27/12 Thank You, God - another 20% decrease in liver met! Now @ 3.2x1.9.
10/5/12 stable-ish
11/21/12 allergic reaction to carboplatin
12/10/12 stable & progression
12/31/12 liver ablation
2/6/13 ablation successful but new tiny mets in liver.
Another ablation scheduled 2/28/13. Cancelled.
2/20/13 started Taxotere & Herceptin. Insurance denied perjeta.

NEDenise
03-08-2013, 06:14 AM
Oh Penny!
I'm so sorry you have yet one more BS&*^% side effect to cope with. I personally don't buy into the "God doesn't give us more than we can handle" thing 100% of the time. Sometimes I look heavenward and inform Him, in all seriousness, that He has VASTLY overestimated me. I bet you're starting to feel a little of that today too.

I'm no expert on taxotere...but I seem to recall several others complaining about the rash...but being able to continue treatment. I hope they chime in to confirm that.

I'm also no TDM-1 expert, but might that be a future option? I just can't believe that someone like you...so strong, so caring, so full of the love of life and family...is abandoned in the "wilderness". I don't claim to understand why these trials are yours...but I know in my heart, you're not alone. Only one set of fooprints in the sand today, my friend...but He's strong...He can handle it.

Thinking of you...sending prayers, and warm healing hugs your way.
With love,
Denise

Jackie07
03-08-2013, 07:25 AM
Penny,

Seems I remember getting a lot of 'pretreatment' (benedryl+?) before the TCH infusion. Check with your doctor/infusion room technician if you are getting proper pretreatment for allergy reaction to Taxotere...

It could be a good reason to receive Perjeta - you might try to make a petition based on the fact (if) that you can not tolerate Taxotere.

Sending you good vibes.

LeahM
03-08-2013, 07:46 AM
Ugh...the taxotere did funky things to my skin too..acne...extreme dryness. I had rashes to but my onc said it was from the Decadron steroid...once I scratched an itch on my back and ripped off the skin, I wasn't even scratching hard!

And I hate to say it but even 4 months post taxotere my skin is still funky. Very dry...especially around my nails (which, btw, are as soft and pliable as a newborns nails).

Prayers to you...as Denise said...there is one set of footprints today.

Leah

Redwolf8812
03-08-2013, 01:47 PM
Bloodwork indicates that the itchiness is not an allergic reaction so I'll still receive treatment this Wednesday. Thank the Lord for small gifts! It's just another side effect so we have to treat the symptoms. I think I can officially call myself a "druggie". LOL. Thank you all for your continued prayers!

tricia keegan
03-08-2013, 05:40 PM
Penny, sending prayers and good wishes to you!