PDA

View Full Version : Port put in incorrectly

Kim H
03-07-2013, 07:34 PM
My mother had a tumor removed 4 weeks ago and a port was put in. Today was her first chemo session, when the nurses went to draw blood to test they couldnt get in the port. They came to the conclusion that the port was put in backwards. Has anyone heard of this happening before?? If so, how was this remedied? Next week and the week after she will only have herceptin appts, but in 3 weeks she will have another large dose of TCH.

We just got her calm enough to do a port and chemo but I feel this will set her back mentally.

Thanks!
Kim

Lauriesh
03-07-2013, 08:17 PM
It could have flipped. I was told it sits in a pocket and it can move around and sometimes it can flip. It happened to me twice. Sometimes they can manually flip it back, but usually they will have to go back in and readjust it.

Laurie

Kim H
03-07-2013, 08:34 PM
Thanks Laurie! I'm assuming they will have to go back in and adjust it. I'm just hoping that it wont be a large incision so she can start using the port instead of her arm.

Did you have any long down time when they had to fix your "flips"? I dont think the chemo Dr will allow her to use the port until the surgery is healed completely.