PDA

View Full Version : What is the follow up?

starwishn2
02-19-2013, 05:05 PM
Once the initial chemo treatment is over what does the follow up entail? Are there regularly scheduled scans or is this only done if the doc has concerns? I'm on Herceptin only right now and meet with my oncologist every other time. He does an exam but how do I know if I'm NED or not? (maybe this is a dumb question)

Jeri

chekmark
02-19-2013, 05:21 PM
For me they draw blood and look at my tumor markers. I am told this is pretty effective although I do worry about it. They tell me that no scans are done unless I have systems. They did do a bone scan and chest X-ray when I finished herceptin. At my follow up they ask me a few questions, do a breast exam and send me on my merry way. They listen to my lungs and feel around and that is it. I always wonder how that can be enough but I try to tell myself they are the professionals that do this every day so I try not to worry although I still do. It is scary not really feeling confident but we just try to move on. Scans are scary too so it's a no win situation. I ask what systems I am supposed to be looking for but never really get a good answer. Pain, lumps, fatigue. I get a blood draw a week before I see my oncologist and she recently bumped me to 6 months. Happy that I don't see her as often but concerned as well. Hope this helps. I only saw my oncologist about every 3 months while on herceptin only. I think it depends on your doc and what methods they use. i know others have had pet scans and brain MRI's but not me. Good luck to you.

starwishn2
02-19-2013, 08:15 PM
Chekmark - Thank you for your answer. This was pretty much what I was told. Just makes me nervous.