PDA

View Full Version : Fruit Vegetable Juice Smoothies for your health.

Joanne S
02-06-2013, 09:02 PM
I highly recommend juice smoothies for everyone who wants to eat healthier and consume more nutrients. Ever since I purchased a VitaMix 6 months ago, I use it 1 to 3 times everyday. I absolutely love it!!! I eat much healthier now than ever---I know I could never eat this many fruits, vegetables daily without my juicer. The juice smoothie is very refreshing and I feel better too.

This morning I made a smoothie using : banana, apricot, apple, frozen blueberries, baby spinach, broccoli including stems, carrots, cabbage, tomato and water. No - it doesn’t sound very appetizing, but surprisingly- it really is. I try to use organic foods as much as possible. Every time I make a smoothie, I use different ingredients. One of my desert favorites is simply: apple, pear, pineapple, cottage cheese, cinnamon and water. Yummy!

I have even made pure vegetable smoothies and used them as a soup base with beans or rice or meat/chicken. You can add just about anything to your recipes; for example, Boost, Ensure, Protein Powder, Almond Milk, Cocoa Powder, Hemp Seed, Flax seed, Hemp Oil, Olive Oil, cheese, nuts, seeds, spices, cooked rice, cooked beans, and even cooked meat. Avocados are the only thing I’ve tried that did not work well for juice. So I'll stick to using them in salads and guacamole.
You can even make sherbet, ice cream, soup, daquiries, peanut butter….in the Vitamix. The more you use it, the more you realize what combinations of fruits/vegetables go together well and which taste better to you. And an extra bonus is, the clean-up is easy with the Vitamix. Using only fruits is not recommended ---too much sugar, but lots of green vegetables are highly recommended. Here are a few video examples:

Vitamix and Blentec
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsxH1weVf-0

Vitamix
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5Qq6YcCk8o

Ninja Mega Kitchen System
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0u3vccUrof8

http://www.ninjakitchen.com/products/ninja-mega-kitchen-system-bl770/cpc/ogviiia/ogviiiabundcpc.shtml?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Offer8FreeBookNoFSHBL7701594Pay&utm_term=%2Bkitchen%20%2Bninja%20%2Bmega&utm_content={campaign}

https://www.vitamix.com/Discover-Vitamix/What-You-Can-Make

NOTE: There are many juicers/smoothie makers available. Some juicers take out all the pulp and fiber so make sure to determine which type you want. And not all of them work as well as others, so I suggest you do your research before deciding on which one to buy. Again, I have the Vitamix that I purchased from QVC for $400. (I wasn't sure if I was going to like it - with QVC I had four easy monthly payments and knew I could return it within 30 days for a refund if I don't like it). My daughter has the Ninja Mega Kitchen System which costs about $175. She purchased at Target, and she is satisfied with it. She thought the Vitamix was a little better than the Mega System, but didn't want to spend more than $200. There are so many different brands available that you can shop for and research online too. Additionally, you can find many juicer reviews and recipes on youtube.com , as well as, customer comments on Amazon.com.

Wondering if you already juice or if you're considering it?
Eat healthy---Hugs, Joanne

IrvineFriend
02-06-2013, 10:15 PM
Joanne, your timing is perfect! I'm so on the fence beteen the Omego Juicer (Nutrition Center) and the Vitamix. I like the Omega's slow speed cold press so enzymes, vitamins and antioxidants are maintained and for longer storage but not sure I want to give up the pulp and fiber the Vitamix offers. I think I heard that while I'm going through chemo all the fiber might not be such a good idea and go with a juicer to get the nutrients and eat the foods for fiber.

Here is the omega. Both my sisters use it daily and LOVE IT (but one has the Vitamixer as well).

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_4_12?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=omega+juicer+8005&sprefix=omega+juicer%2Caps%2C412

I'd love to have both but want to start somewhere. My diet is 180 degrees better and I want to keep improving my health - we are what we eat!

Joanne S
02-07-2013, 01:42 AM
Irvine Friend, Good for you! Let me know how you like it. I'd love to get a juicer too so I'll keep the Omega in mind. I wonder what's involved in the clean-up with the Omega. Thanks for sharing, Joanne

Joanne S
02-07-2013, 02:21 AM
Please be sure to check with your oncologist before changing your diet - especially if you are in treatment.

Juice or smoothies???

Both juicers and blenders are fantastic for different reasons.

When you juice, you drink the liquid nutrients of fruits/vegetables, since the pulp/fiber is left behind it's lighter and less filling than a smoothie. Since juices are cleansing/detoxing, your digestive system gets a break because there are no solids to break down.

Smoothies leave nothing behind – you drink the whole food. Smoothies are more filling than juices, but not as filling as normal meals. While smoothies are easier on your digestion than solid foods, they are not quite as cleansing/detoxing as juices.

If you really feel your digestion needs a cleansing and you want to lots of nutrients, go with a juicer.

If you’re looking to incorporate all of the nutrients and fiber, go with a blender for smoothies.

ashleybrook05
03-09-2013, 05:48 AM
I love smoothies! Glad to know the beneficial effects of it in our body. Thanks!

sdstarfish
03-13-2013, 06:39 AM
Smoothies are definitely a good thing. I would just recommend putting a higher amount of veggies into the smoothie than fruit. Fruit is good for you in moderation, but remember that it contains much more sugar than most veggies. True, fructose is natural sugar, but it still affects our bodies the same way re: blood sugar level spikes/drops and pH acidity - whereas veggies are alkaline, which is great for keeping cancer away :)

One thing I add to my smoothies is chlorella powder - just a tablespoon. Chlorella is packed with cancer-fighting nutrients. I also like to use some coconut milk, which gives the smoothie a fluffier texture without adding sugar. And I generally throw in some chia seeds, too.

Jeepster
03-24-2013, 02:55 AM
I have a blendtec and love it! Use it two to three times daily, fresh organic produce delivered to my door every other week helps a lot!

Jackie07
03-24-2013, 08:45 AM
Purchased a blender several years ago after 2nd Sister came help with my recovery from the double mastectomy. Never used it very much as my brain does not encode well new tasks/procedures. So I just eat fresh ...

My breakfast usually include a big bowl of oatmeal topped with 1/4 chopped apple, 1/2 chopped orange, 1/2 sliced banana, 1 cup of sliced strawberry+blue berry, 3-4 pieces of black berry, 1/3 cup of raisins, 1/2 cup of chopped walnut, 1 Ts flax seeds, and 3 TS yogurt.

It's been doing the job as I don't experience much problem from the diverticulosis anymore.

The oatmeal diet also helped me to lose weight (involuntarily... :) [Gained about 10 lbs at Father-in-law's place as I continue to eat my oatmeal/fruit mix besides the regular meals FIL put on the table. I needed the weight (now 125 lb. for a 5'7" frame, yippy!)]

ElaineM
04-01-2013, 03:26 PM
Count me in among the juicers. I have 3 blenders and use them often.
I also eat healthy solid food.

DragonMom
06-20-2013, 12:09 PM
I'm not getting enough vitamins, as the pills make me violently sick and have since I was a kid. Know of a "recipe" that would get what I need that taste good to have 1-2 times a day? I have the NutraBullet and really like it.

Thanks-kelly

Jeepster
06-21-2013, 04:13 AM
I love to use lots of kale as the base of all my green shakes, then add fresh Ginger, a medule date, (adds sweetness) and what ever fruit I have either an apple, or pear, or banana.fill with filtered water or a treat coconut water. Blend and enjoy! I try to make sure that the portion of veggie is more than fruit.