PDA

View Full Version : Decided to stay on Teresa...

Mandamoo
12-13-2012, 08:20 PM
Argh!what a week! Three differ radiologists look at the scans and I get three different views...

After much thought and discussion with those I trust I am staying on TDM1 and rescanning in three weeks.

I have not progressed according to trial criteria. The target lesions have grown 15%. So they are saying stable. My private oncologist feels result is borderline when entire view of lungs is taken into account. 2/3 say no new disease. The other issue is scan was on a different machine with higher resolution. Trial oncologist is also saying lung mets on TDM1 appear to respond slower and sometimes flare a little before reduction and that perhaps I haven't had full benefit of the drug yet. The radiologist I trust the most has looked at the 6 lesions that have changed the most and they are around the 20- 25% mark but there are numerous unchanged or just marginally changed lesions.

So...I don't want to jump off this horse that is so low toxic until I have to so we are ridding TDM1 a little longer with full understanding that it may not be doing much for me but maybe it is keeping me relatively stable. It seems lung mets are difficult to measure too.

I'm in the chair waiting and happy with my decision.
Here's to me simply being a slow responder rather than a non responder!

Bunty
12-13-2012, 10:30 PM
Amanda, here's to you being a slow responder as well! It all sounds OK to me (for what that's worth!). But if they were very concerned, they would be rushing you into another therapy. So put your feet up and take some deep breaths. I bet you'll sleep well tonight - it's so exhausting all of this.

Sending you loads of positive thoughts down the Hume Highway, or the Princes, if you prefer the more picturesque route.

Cheers Marie

michka
12-14-2012, 02:50 AM
Amanda I believe it is the right decision. It is worth waiting 3 weeks to really understand what is happening. You may be another slow responder and it is a little early to "jump off the horse". I also was destabilized when some reports were unclear and I had good surprises so I hope it will be the same for you. Hugs. Michka

KsGal
12-14-2012, 04:10 AM
I agree with your decision as well. Here's to the next set of scans showing marked improvement. ((hugs))

Mtngrl
12-14-2012, 04:38 AM
Amanda,

I'm adding my vote, for what it's worth, that your response is real, just slow.

Visualize the lesions shrinking. I'm doing it with you. (It couldn't hurt!)

'lizbeth
12-14-2012, 12:42 PM
Slow responder . . . my immune system feels slow to me too. Tell those immune cells to get on the ball and start kicking those cancer cells butts!

So glad you are on TDM1 and am hoping it does the job of eliminating those lesions.

phil
12-14-2012, 01:01 PM
Wow, you have a very thorough team, sometimes thorough can be extra stressful , but lets hope for the best , lots of strong prayers coming your way !!

dawny
12-14-2012, 03:55 PM
Amanda, nothing wrong with being a slow responder! Let's hope the sons in three weeks show a good response. Look forward to hearing that. Thinking of you
Dawn x

Pamelamary
12-14-2012, 05:39 PM
Amanda,
Seems to me that it would never be a good idea to abandon a relatively gentle treatment unless you are sure it isn't working. So take it slowly and enjoy the Xmas season.
Best wishes.... Pam

Redwolf8812
12-14-2012, 10:04 PM
Slow and steady is good. Remember the tortoise beat the hare! The trials allow for 20% as a margin of error due to several factors, such as machine, the angle of the view, the size of the slices, etc. Sounds like you're stable! Thank You, God!

chrisy
12-15-2012, 02:12 PM
Good, giving the TDM1 a full chance. It doesn't always work overnight! Praying that your response, while maybe a bit slow out of the gate, will be robust once it gets going!

Sounds like you ave a great team

NEDenise
12-16-2012, 09:57 PM
Amanda,
I have absolutely nothing to base this opinion on...
except a gut feeling...
and a firm belief that YOU know how you feel, better than anyone.
I think it's a perfectly reasonable decision to give TDM-1 a little longer to work its magic.
I hope this decision allows you to really, truly relax, and enjoy the holidays with that beautiful family of yours!!
Good for you!
Denise