PDA

View Full Version : Am at a loss for words

Gaver
12-06-2012, 06:13 AM
hello everyone,

Mom s doing fine after her 1st chemo cycle the 2nd is due tomorrow.Its just that she started loosing her hair yesterday :( I do know its a very very very small price to pay for her recovery and cure but still.....

She is of course being very brave but she did call me in to say Geetu my hair is going...All I wanted to do was hug her....

Just wanted to share this...

hestko76
12-06-2012, 07:01 AM
Good luck with the second chemo. I, too, had 6 rounds of TCH. My hair started falling out between the lst and 2nd chemo. It was hard on me....... Give your mom a hug from me.
Now, my hair has grown back, very curly! I had always had straight hair, so it is very different for me..... but IT IS HAIR!
Helen

snolan
12-07-2012, 09:00 AM
I had a hard time with the hair loss at first. I felt as long as I had my hair no one would know I had cancer. But I made the trip to the hair dresser with my family and best friend and we made it an event when I shaved it off. I felt weird for the first few days, felt everyone was looking at me. But I soon got over it, and felt it was a badge of honor that I was winning the fight over cancer. It does make getting ready in the morning much easier, didn't have to shave anything:)
Good luck to your mom with the rest of the treatments.
Suzanne

starwishn2
12-11-2012, 07:26 PM
It was harder for me to have my hair come out in my comb then when I decided to shave it off. I'm actually ok about not having hair right now. Once you realize that losing your hair means the chemo is working - it's worth it! I have 2 wigs, a couple of hair pieces that velco to hats and quite a few hats. I actually prefer wearing the hats with no hair. I agree with Snolan - it is a badge of courage. I know your mother is absolutely beautiful without hair.

Good luck to her and you! (a daughter is such a gift during these times!)

Jeri

Gaver
12-13-2012, 08:52 AM
Dear Helen,Suzanne and Jeri !!!!!

Brave ladies thanku so much !!!!

yes i was a bit low that day but thats all water under the bridge now ... mom too found it a bit irritating having hair fall all over the place(Im shedding like a cat) so after her 2nd chemo on 07/12/12 she and my brother both went and got their heads shaved :D

and trust me she looks awesome !!! and then after that we went and got this amazing photoshoot done !!!

i so agree Jeri !!!! the hair loss just shows those cancer cells are simply being shot to death one by one !!

I shall post the pics here as soon as I figure out how :)

once again thanku ladies for all the support !!!!

Mtngrl
12-14-2012, 05:15 AM
To post pictures, click the "go advanced" button and you'll be given an option to include attachments. (Scroll down to look for it.)

Jackie07
12-14-2012, 05:48 AM
It's really up to the individual and depending on the point-of-view. I was quite happy when my hair started to fall before the 3rd treatment because that means the chemo is effective in destroying fast-dividing cells (such as the hair). I did use the wig because of the long scar on the left side of my head from the brain surgery in 1990. But whenever I'm not in public places, I'd take off the wig.

Nowadays I wear a baseball cap most of the time to hold the tiny 'bun' that cannot 'stand' by itself. :)

Sandra in GA
12-16-2012, 10:14 AM
I did find a website, headcovers.com, that was most helpful to me. They carry caps (also wigs and scarves) designed to cover the head more completely than the usual. I also liked a sleep cap to hold in my body heat at night.

Everyone is different. The wigs irritated my scalp and make me too hot. I found the caps much more comfortable and wearable. I keep my eyelashes and eyebrows until I began the Taxol and the lost those. For some reason, this caused me more saddness than losing the hair. I leaned to draw them on and used the cap to kind of hide behind.

Remember this is temporary for most people. When my hair came back, I finially had the curly hair I had always wanted. Now, after about a year, the durls have gone and my straight hair has returned.
Sandra

Gaver
12-19-2012, 06:40 AM
thank you ladies !!

yes Jackie,mom actually prefers to roam in the house au naturel,as we call it LOL...she says its more comfortable without a scarf or woolly hat(she hasnt got a wig...we do not get such good ones in our part of the world,Im afraid) but yes she has to wear one when it gets chilly in the evening and we make sure she wears her woolly hat when she sleeps so her head remains warm....

seems silly right...i was feeling bad over something which was handled so easily and in our stride that im used to seeing her like this already....:)