PDA

View Full Version : Cancer-related fatigue can be helped by aerobic exercise

News
11-14-2012, 05:51 AM
Aerobic exercise can help relieve the fatigue often associated with cancer and cancer treatment, according to Cochrane researchers. Their updated systematic review strengthens findings from an earlier version on cancer-related fatigue published in The Cochrane Library.

More... (http://www.news-medical.net/news/20121114/Cancer-related-fatigue-can-be-helped-by-aerobic-exercise.aspx)

'lizbeth
11-14-2012, 09:57 AM
My doctor, Joe Mondry, had me on the treadmill for 40 minutes three days a week. Plus an hour of lifting weights. My miracle worker - went from a shaky weak cancer survivor back to a high quality of life.

I had walked an hour per day, but had not been getting my heart rate high enough to be effective. I'm to get my bpm between 124 and 134 and to work up to 1 hour on the treadmill. I can go higher up to 173 bpm max.

It was terrible in the beginning, I was exhausted after my workouts and would go home and crash. But I stuck with it and it totally paid off. Another trick Dr. Joe used was to play music while I exercised, and he asked me a lot of questions and made me think to help with the cognitive issues.

Awesome, effective doctor and if you are in San Diego please check out him and his wife at New Horizon's physical therapy. They are also experienced lymphedema experts.

snolan
11-15-2012, 08:09 AM
I still road my mountain bike during chemo, I would take the week off right after chemo and then ride the next two weeks. I kept my HR under 160, didn't ride anything technical, had to watch not to get scratched by bushes and such but mentally and physcially it helped so much. Sometimes giving me time to reflect when I was out on the trails other times proving that cancer was not going to take away the things I enjoyed the most.