PDA

View Full Version : Embarrassing question but necessary.......

kvogler
11-10-2012, 08:44 PM
Uh, just wondering.... I'm confused about what kind of birth control is best after being diagnosed for breast cancer. My tumor was only HER2 positive. Not the hormonal type. What are some of you gals using if you don't mind sharing. I was on low-dose birth control but went off that after diagnosis. Haven't felt like trying lately due to chemo and other treatment but in the future, I'll need something just in case chemo hasn't completely halted things. I'm scared to death whatever I use might make cancer come back. I plan on making an appointment with my gyn but I wanted to see what others are doing that are in the same boat as me.

BonnieR
11-11-2012, 12:48 AM
Well, I am WAY past having this concern but just wanted to comment that it is a good issue for discussion here and I trust you will get feedback from more knowledgable members. It's important stuff. Keep the faith.

rhondalea
11-11-2012, 08:42 AM
There aren't a lot of studies, but I found one from 2010 and another from 2012:

http://www.contraceptionjournal.org/article/S0010-7824(12)00253-3/abstract

http://www.asco.org/ASCOv2/Meetings/Abstracts?&vmview=abst_detail_view&confID=74&abstractID=47582

KDR
11-11-2012, 10:54 AM
Condoms and your calendar.

Karen

lasarles
11-12-2012, 09:32 PM
Hi Kvogler, while I am not one to answer this question, I haven't had to worry about birth control for many years...I am responding to the word "embarrassing". As much as our breasts, along with other parts have been exposed, scanned, x-rayed, poked, prodded, stabbed, cut, squeezed... you name it, checked out and handled by countless strangers...and let's not forget hair loss and hair growth in places we never wanted it....all our discussions on periods, sex, vomiting and bowel movements...we have no modesty left!! I recently went to a fall festival at a ski resort and purchased a lift ticket (the kind they scan with a scan gun) to ride the chairlift, guess where i put that sticker?...uh huh...right on my boob.....I told my friends it had been scanned so many times... what's one more. They got a kick outta that.