PDA

View Full Version : Cannabis and cancer

Jen
11-10-2012, 06:24 AM
http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/pdq/cam/cannabis/healthprofessional/page4

Has anyone else heard about this? Any thoughts?

Jen

europa
11-10-2012, 07:50 AM
I have read several studies and articles about this. It looks really promising. There is a company based in Colorado that sells medicinal THC. I can't remember the name. But if you google it, I'm sure you will find them. From my understanding, you would need a very high dose to see the effects that they did in rats. Not sure they have started testing on humans.

Jen
11-10-2012, 08:02 AM
Colorado and Washington State legalized small amounts of marijuana for RECREATIONAL use in adults over 21 on Nov 5th. I would pack and move IF I could!!!! I always knew marijuana was GOOD for you HAHA. But on a more serious note I have told Mom (Sheila) for YEARS now that there would come a time conventional tx would no longer HELP and unfortunately that time is NOW. I know my Mom is very anti-drug but IF that can't hurt it might just help. I am also looking into and researching other avenues as well.

Jen

Jen
11-10-2012, 09:23 AM
You cannot overdose on Marijuana even in "high"(no pun intended) doses.

sarah
11-10-2012, 09:31 AM
interesting. I know in California it was used for pain and glaucoma. Smoking of any kind though I would think is bad for the lungs so I guess it would have to be ingested - pot brownies!!!

Jen
11-10-2012, 09:42 AM
I have to admit I have never had hash brownies before but I am sure it would work the same as smoking marijuana which I have done.

rhondalea
11-10-2012, 10:48 AM
I have a very bad reaction to pot--I become nearly catatonic--so if it turns out to be the cure, I'm doomed.

StephN
11-10-2012, 11:14 AM
Jen - FYI, smoking a little marijuana and ingesting/smoking equal amount of hash are not the same.

From drugs.com:

Hashish is a potent form of cannabis produced by collecting and compressing trichomes, the most potent material from cannabis plants.
Trichomes are the fine growths on cannabis plants that produce a sticky resin.
Marijuana is a green, brown or gray mixture of dried, shredded leaves, stems, seeds and flowershttp://images.intellitxt.com/ast/adTypes/icon1.png (http://www.drugs.com/hashish.html#) of the hemp plant Cannabis sativa.

There are THC tablets that may be helpful against pain, but I am sure the new laws will sort out which forms of cannabis are allowed and which are not. The Feds may nix the whole thing, and in Washington state we await any backlash.

Jen
11-10-2012, 01:40 PM
Hashish is more potent is isn't like smoking leaves and "buds" it's more like smoking a resin ball. Definately higher concentrations of THC in hash but also more expensive....

lasarles
11-10-2012, 02:03 PM
Legalized in Washington State yes, but still against Federal law. In other words the person that opens shop to legally sell it, can be busted by the Feds. Be interesting to see how this plays out.

StephN
11-10-2012, 02:23 PM
There may be a talk or Poster given by a researcher at San Antonio next month. This is still early in the research stage as far as what chemically may be extracted from marijuana that may have any effect on BC mets.

Can't tell from the Symposium Program posted online, as these are the main presentations and nothing on this in that list.

Jen
11-10-2012, 03:11 PM
Here is a link from Fox news regarding the subject.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,312132,00.html

Jen
11-10-2012, 04:52 PM
Steph I can't tell you or anyone that this IS the CURE we have all been waiting because I simply do not know if it is or isn't but I can tell you what I do know all the chemo drugs my Mother has been on for years was not the cure. Some of the drugs helped (for awhile) while others she PROGRESSED on. ALL of these drugs were tested in clinical trials my Mom participated in clinical trials she failed on TDM1 just like others here on this site have. My Mom put her faith in medical science and right now that medical science is not able to help her that is why I am looking into "alternative treatments" for her and I hope I find it SOON!!

Ellie F
11-11-2012, 04:56 AM
My understanding is that it is the oil extracted from cannabis that is supposed to be therapeutic. Some time ago California Pacific medical centre published some early research which suggested this may be very effective against her 2 bc. Since there is no big profits to be made I wonder how far this research will get?
When I was diagnosed a friend told me to look on the Internet about Rick Simpson a Canadian who was growing, processing and giving away cannabis oil to cancer patients with reported good effects. I understand he is now to be prosecuted for this !
Interesting how these old plant remedies keep popping back up!
Ellie

Jen
11-11-2012, 07:04 AM
Thank you Ellie F for your candor and your thoughts on this subject. Although I started this thread here on Her2 I have held back because I wanted some of you (the ones with cancer who are fighting) to bring issues like these up. Ellie as you stated in your reply "Some time ago California Pacific medical centre published some early research which suggested this may be very effective against her 2 bc. Since there is no big profits to be made I wonder how far this research will get?" that is an excellent question. Is THIS possibly the CURE for cancer I don't know if it is or it isn't but I will tell what I do know companies like Genetech makers of drugs like Herceptin don't see cures they see customers they don't see people they see profits. Think about who stands to LOSE here if the "CURE" were as simple as this I will give you a hint it isn't YOU in the cancer patient....it is BIG PHARMA who stands to lose BIG BUCKS because cures would mean loss of customers and profits for them. I truly believe this.

Jen
11-11-2012, 07:41 AM
Like to share some things I found on the Genetech website:
"
To us, science is personal.

At Genentech, we're passionate about finding solutions for people facing the world's most difficult-to-treat conditions. That's why we use cutting-edge science to create and deliver innovative medicines around the globe."
"Genentech Medicine Significantly Extended Survival in People with an Aggressive Breast Cancer

On October 1, 2012, Genentech presented Phase III overall survival results for its investigational medicine for HER2-positive breast cancer at the ESMO 2012 Congress (European Society for Medical Oncology)."
"
DEVELOPMENT PIPELINE

http://www.gene.com/gene/home/images/pipeline_sm.jpg (http://www.gene.com/gene/gred/science/pipeline/) Our research and development activities are focused on applying excellent science to discover and develop potential new medicines."

Do you see the word CURE here anywhere I don't. My guess is because companies like Genetech would not profit if you are CURED they only profit if you are a customer still fighting cancer that will bleed your bank account and leave you to die when their "medicines" either no longer work or you are too sick to continue treatment.

rhondalea
11-11-2012, 08:18 AM
I think that the individuals who own, invest in and work for big pharma have a big stake in finding a cure. Not just for breast cancer, not just for cancer, but for any prevalent disease. The individuals who do this day after day, along with those who fund them, are well-aware that it could happen to them too.

I'm subscribed to several different medical news services, and it is clear that many treatment options are studied and evaluated daily. It is also clear that an effort is being made to pin down the various causes of deadly diseases.

I'll agree that drug companies are more likely to fund treatments that will return a profit. I've been hearing it for years from my fellow thyroid patients because we don't get any new and better treatments for our stupid, wonky endocrine glands. As a practical matter, though, the only way drug companies can stay in business and continue to do research is to turn a profit.

For potential cures that do not look profitable to the board of directors, it takes a governmental intervention to fund pure science, and we all know where that leads. Tax hikes. Followed by the taxed screaming bloody murder, even though it's likely that many of the objectors will be among those who benefit.

The bottom line is that it isn't the drug companies but the economic model (and in the case of cannibas, the drug laws) that must be blamed. Unfortunately, changing it is right up there with alleviating poverty and achieving world peace.

sarah
11-11-2012, 10:48 AM
Jen I can feel your frustration, anger and hurt. Your mom is very lucky to have you out there fighting for her.
I do agree that anything that may help but doesn't bring profit will not be promoted. ~While I hope that big pharma is not jsut looking for "addicts" but hoping to cure, we all know that business is business and ethics and morality are not a given.
Did you see Kim's tumor marker post? would that help your mom?
I know that marijuana/pot has been helpful for pain and if normal things aren't working for your mom, it's a definite possibility. Also it's good for the apetite and generally makes people happy although there are times people can become paranoid. It was a popular drug when I was young. I didn't like smoking so didn't get into it but no one I know who did, got addicted or crazy but I think back then it was much weaker and less expensive - of course now it's distributed by vicious criminals. It would be nice to get it out of their hands and get the taxes from it to use for good uses - like a cure. I've always felt it should be treated like alcohol. Personally I'm a wine drinker myself.

Jen, I send you love and take care of yourself. Find time for yourself.
hugs and love sarah

StephN
11-11-2012, 02:09 PM
Dear Tiger Daughter Jen -
It is easy to find an entity that is "too big to fail" to blame things on.

Have you ever ready the book, "HER-2, The Making of Herceptin" by Robert Bazell?

Or seen the movie based on this book called "Living Proof." You can see that on HULU and other web media. The movie leaves out a lot of interesting details, but the gist is there.
I mention these as it is the story of Dr. Denis Slamon's fight to keep on with his research that he felt opened a window to a new direction in drug development. You may know Dr. Slamon's name in connection with Herceptin.
Your mom and I have met and shared hugs with Dr. Slamon at the San Antonio Breast Cancer Symposium. Joe Druther, founder of this site, introduced us as "living proof" and that became a running quip every year when we would see Dr. Slamon again, that we were still "living proof."

I sure wish there was an answer for your mother; she has been a good friend of mine for many years now. When we met on this site in its infancy I was the one with the worst prognosis with mets all over my liver and on my sternum that had been treated, but were almost sure to come back. Sheila was a much earlier stage with no positive nodes. Her life was full and my energy level was low. SHE was MY role model!

Who would think at that time that I would be sitting here typing and she would be the person unable to take any treatment? NO ONE. It was not logical. But one thing I have learned for certain over these years is that LOGIC is no where to be found when it comes to cancer. This is one thing keeping the researchers in universities and institutes going - looking to find an iota of logic in the complexity of cancer proliferation. If not the logic, then how to follow the deer tracks in unfamiliar woods. Just when a research group thinks they have established a new pattern of down- and up- regulation in cells well enough to get a drug into trials, it may or may not pass the FDA. Maybe the one that did not pass was better, but we have laws and regulations and PEOPLE who can act as a god to decide these things.

And now we have "Death Boards" under Obamacare on top of the FDA. I know of a young family man who needs a bone marrow transplant, and is accepted here at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Center, but now his insurance provider is dragging its heels. His doctor has written letters to support the case, but still there is no approval. Yes, it is very costly, but his prognosis would be pretty good or the center would not have accepted him.

Jen, I know your frustration. I have felt it myself MANY times, but especially when I was told I would probably die. I felt it when my father was in the ICU and full care facilities for 8 months after his heart operation did not work well. I took my mother to see him every day, and that is where we spent our time. Mom was desperate for him to improve so he could get off the ventilator and come home, but he was never that strong again. She was so desperate that she was not really listening to what the docters were telling us. They tried to explain Dad's conditions in understandable language, but Mom could only keep tearfully asking her questions that had already been answered. My heart was breaking day after day after day. After Dad passed I plunged into the only real depression I have ever experienced.

None of this is helpful to your mother, because each of us only has one real mother. You are fortunate to have a mother who raised the bar of mother- and grandmotherhood. It was the same for my father. He also raised the bar and loved everyone so much. You and Sheila are in many constant prayers. Maybe you WILL stumble upon something, so keep sharing.

Pam P
11-11-2012, 03:16 PM
Jen - I know nothing about cannabis for these purposes. I just want to tell you how much I love Sheila. She has been a great supporter since I joined this site. I wish I could give her a hug. She is in my thoughts and prayers.

Barbara H.
11-11-2012, 07:48 PM
Hi Steph and Jen,
Steph, your letter to Jen is moving and from the heart. I also lost my father this past April, and am still having a hard time of it. He would have been 94 this past summer so I feel fortunate to have had him for so long.
Jen, both you and Sheila were inspirational to me and gave me a glimmer of hope when I found this site after progressing to stage 4. Sheila reached out to me and helped both my husband and me navigate the issues of my insurance company approving the Tykerb/Herceptin combination I needed. Both of you have such generous hearts, and not a day goes by that I don't log on to see how Sheila is doing.
My thoughts remain with you Jen, and I keep hoping for a miracle.
Barbara H.

Jen
11-11-2012, 08:38 PM
Thank you Steph for your heartfelt post. I cried as I read it. I know many of us on her2 have lost parents to something whether it be cancer, or another illness, or accident, etc.. and I realize that there are people out there younger than me that lose parents. Sometimes I feel selfish after I post on here knowing that I am not the one fighting cancer or dying. I am so full hurt and pain and rage over the things I know I cannot control. I feel so helpless and I HATE it!!!! I hope I have never offended anyone on here with anything I have ever posted as that was not my intent. Please know that I respect each and every one of you here even if I don't always agree with your point of you. I as well as my Mother Sheila have always felt like the people on this website were "family" because we all love and care and want the best for each other and that is familes do (or should do) in my opinion. Thank you everyone for being there for my Mother Sheila as well as her family. We truly appreciate it.

Love,
Jen

Jen
11-11-2012, 09:59 PM
Steph I have watched parts the movie "Living Proof" starring Harry Connick Jr about the drug Herceptin I believe it was on Lifetime. It made me cry and it was very educational as well as emotional as Herceptin helped my Mother for many years when she was healthy enough to take it. I wish Herceptin could have been her "cure" but it wasn't. I will continue my research I won't give up because my Mom is worth it!!!!

Jen
11-11-2012, 10:00 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdN5GyTl8K0

Patb
11-12-2012, 09:20 AM
Great song, with great message. Just my opinion but
I would eat brownies all day long if I thought they would
help and nothing else had. Remember only my thoughts. One day we all come to this point, be it
cancer or what else but we have the right to chose
how we treat it.
patb

conomyself
11-12-2012, 09:45 AM
Ellie had mentioned Rick Simpson...I have listened to an interview with him, and his work is compelling. If I remember correctly a course of treatment would be about a pound of bud, refined per the instructions on his website. A pound would be cost prohibitive (not to mention possibly felonious), but if you're in a legal or medical marijuana state you can grow it yourself much cheaper.

If you google Rick Simpson Interview, there are a lot that come up, and IMO they are worth a listen.

Jackie07
11-12-2012, 11:48 AM
I thought some of the very strong pain-killers I was prescribed after surgeries (the latest was hysterectomy in Jan., 2010) contain classified ingredients. They were very effective.

DanaRT
11-12-2012, 02:17 PM
Jen, I was honored with the chance to meet your mother at Breast Fest '09 in northern Indiana. Sheila made such a positive impression on all the survivors. She is a loving, strong, smart woman.

Interesting you should post about cannabis. My husband has been researching the positive effects of cannabis for several months now. Mostly, as a sleep aid (for me) since the doctor will no longer prescribe ambien.

karen z
11-12-2012, 05:14 PM
Three years ago I heard (twice) at SABCS that "the stupidest cancer cell is smarter than a room full of brilliant researchers" and I have never forgotten that line. Since that time I have almost viewed cancer cells (and their morphing ability) as villains in a science fiction movie- that can do almost anything- and often do. That is what scares me when I do get scared. Getting cancer at any age is not fair nor is having a loved one getting cancer. The same is true of many other diseases/situations.
I learned at eight years of age (when my father died of Lupus when no one- not even the great doctors at Cleveland Clinic knew how best to treat him) that life was not fair. I am 61 years old and think of my dad everyday and still cry most weeks. I was older when I lost my mom. She died at the age of 70 and started to develop dementia at age 63 so I lost her "slowly" and pretty early - as these things go. I understand how cheated many of us feel....how I feel. I would give anything (truly anything) to simply see my mom or dad one more time or be able to smile at them or talk to them one more time. Time hasn't really helped me. I learned early on that life dealt me some bad stuff and that is the way it was going to be. My dad was in his mid 30's when he died. After third grade...............I had no dad and I now do not have my mom. I feel (very much) like an orphan with a still broken heart. So, I don't know what to say except that life is often not fair and many of us have had things happen to us (personally and to our love ones) that are close to unbearable. Still, we must try to go on day by day. I honestly do not know what else to do.

Ellie F
11-13-2012, 03:57 AM
Hi Karen
I was so touched to read your post it brought tears to my eyes. I am not sure you ever really get over the loss of a parent no matter what age they or you are. I lost my mother and best friend suddenly and in very difficult circumstances twenty years ago. Not a day passes that I don't think about her and miss her. When I was a teenager a lady in her fifties told me that since losing her parents she felt like an orphan,how I recognise that feeling now. We bring our children up to believe in fairness and justice yet life is inherently unfair.As you say we just have to go on sometimes in unbearable situations.In terms of bc my onc says until we understand both sides of the coin, good medicine AND the intricate functioning of the immune system then we will not find our cure.
Ellie

karen z
11-13-2012, 04:59 AM
Hi Ellie,
It is true- we never get over the loss of a parent, no matter what the parent's age or our age. I have had a hole in my heart since I was eight and there is nothing that can be done to fill it- it only got larger when I lost my wonderful mom and saw her slip away from me day by day. I absolutely feel like an abandoned orphan and, again, would do anything to just be able to see (if even from afar- that is how bad it is) my mom and dad I have found that nothing can fill this particular void- years of therapy, an anti-depressant...........We do often have to go on sometimes in unbearable situations......and make choices about how we will/must handle. Things are a bit worse for me now.......divorced and about to have my daughter go off to college but if I am honest with myself- the parent-based hole in my heart (and inability to fill it) has really been there since my mom came home from the hospital and told me and my brother than our dad had died. I go on (as you do) the best I can. It is not often a pretty picture (!) but I try day by day. I feel best when I can do things for others- that is how I was raised and what the religion I was raised in taught me to do- to try and move forward and, especially, help others in even more pain than I am- and there are plenty out there to help. Your oncologist is correct.

sarah
11-13-2012, 10:59 AM
Stephanie, Jen, Karen, others,
It's so very hard to watch a loved one suffer. My mother was ill and in and out of hospitals for the last 4 plus years of her life. She had Apalstic anemia. I was 32 yrs old when she died, my father died quickly of a heart attack the year before so I didn't see him suffer but I did watch my sweet Mama. I miss her all the time. Soon after she died I went to a screening of the movie Terms of Endearment. I cried silently through it, I had been the Shirley MacClaine character, my Mama had been Debra Winger. I was angry, I was sad, I went through so many emotions during her illness. Like you, I fought for her. I still feel the pain. I slept on her hospital bed the last month, going home in the morning to shower and make phone calls.
I can't tell you how many times I was called over those years and told to come to the hospital that she was dying - sometimes that required a 5 hour plane flight. I'd arrive and she was fine and happy and surprised to see me so know that doctors aren't always right and that patients are stronger than we think.
Also like Stephanie, I received what I believed was a death sentence (invasive cancer recurrence) but here I am 8 years later. things can turn around.
Jen, you must remember to take care of yourself. Your mother would tell you that also.
I appreciated the time I had with mine to talk to her about how much I loved her and also to let her know I would be ok. I hope you have a good support group to help support you. Karen's right, helping others, helps also but we can't always save everyone we want to. In my local cancer support group, we have lost 3 young women (one aged 38) who were such lovely, caring people, it's been a hard year. We're a small group.
Your mom is very special and I know how much she has helped others. Why not try the cannabis and see if it helps at least with the pain.
hugs and love
sarah

Jen
11-13-2012, 03:13 PM
Thank you for your sharing your touching and heartfelt stories with me. I cried while I read your posts knowing that some of you have experienced the emotional pain and know the depths of despair that I am now in. I wish we lived in a more 420 friendly state as a pound of good Indica will cost at least $5 grand the felonious risk doesn't bother me as I would risk getting a million felonies if it meant saving my Mom. My Mom gave me life and I want to give her, her life back for everything she has done for me and my children. I am now going to look into raising money and procuring the "contrabud" I need to make the cure that my Mother's life depends on. Please Pray that time does not run out and I can "get er done".

Jen

Jen
11-13-2012, 04:07 PM
If I can pull this off and it WORKS it will give new meaning to the phrase "There is no hope without dope"

rhondalea
11-13-2012, 05:58 PM
Well, Jen, that made me laugh out loud.

More seriously, I hope it works.

Jen
11-13-2012, 06:30 PM
I hope it works too. I am afraid of my Mom objecting to this kind of thing tho. Sheila is very anti-drug and pot isn't legal for any reason here in IL....

sarah
11-14-2012, 03:09 AM
Good luck Jen and a big cyber hug.
love sarah

Pray
11-14-2012, 06:02 AM
Gods blessings to you and your Mom Jen. You are both always in my prayers. Peace my friend.

Jen
11-14-2012, 07:35 AM
DanaRT Cannabis indica may have a CBD (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannabidiol):THC (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetrahydrocannabinol) ratio 4–5 times that of Cannabis sativa (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannabis_sativa). The effects of indicas are predominantly physical and sedative. That is what you need.

CoolBreeze
11-17-2012, 03:48 PM
Very simplistically, you can't cure cancer, because cancer is not one disease. It is a constellation of a variety of things that go wrong in a human body that cause cell overgrowth, and pretty much every cancer is different than any other.

Now, cervical cancer is almost 100% curable but it wasn't always. Now, it is preventable with the HPV vaccine but it wasn't always. Nobody is keeping a cure from anybody and if there was one cure, it would be very profitable indeed.

Saying you found a cure for cancer would be like stepping on one ant and saying you've killed every one in the world. Not possible.

California has had legalized pot for several years. You have to get a doctor's note but anything qualifies you - back pain, headaches, etc. You go to pharmacy doctors and pick up your prescription right there, you don't get it from your own doctor. Then you can choose what you want. It is still against federal law so the growers get in trouble - you can only grow for personal use. It's kind of complicated and I don't smoke nor have interest so I don't pay much attention. But, there are a zillion potheads who also get cancer.

We won't see a cure in my lifetime and it's not because "big pharma" doesn't want a cure, it's because it's too complicated a disease.

Jen
11-17-2012, 10:14 PM
CoolBreeze first of all I never claimed to have "found the cure for cancer" if that were the case my Mother Sheila wouldn't be in the condition she is in right now. I am not saying that "Cannabis IS the cure" because I simply at this point in time do not have the proof to back it up but I can say that EVERY chemo drug and radiation treatment that my Mother Sheila has taken was NOT the cure and the proof I have to back that up is progression. Please don't condemn me for trying to pick up where "conventional chemo and cancer treatments" have ended.

Mary Jo
11-18-2012, 06:48 AM
Good Morning Jen.....and all the rest of my her2 family. Reading all the many posts I read one underlying theme. Love. Love for each other here at her2support. We are a family. A family that cares and wants what's best for each other. I also read of the love so many share of their departed loved ones.

The one thing I came away with after reading all these many posts is death comes to us all. I lost my mom at age 47 of pancreatic cancer. I lost my father, last August of congestive heart failure. No matter how much we come to understand whatever ails any of us, sadly, (at least from an earthly perspective) "death" will come. However, for those who trust and believe Jesus as Savior and Lord, they will live on forever. I know many don't believe that, but I know it to be true. I've felt the Hand of Peace....the Hand Of God.....I know He is real.

Finally, I'd like to say to you Jen.......my heart breaks for you as I see how much you are fighting to keep your mom here with you. Oh, I understand that pain. I know how painful it is to say good bye. It's the worst earthly experience for any of us. Please know that I care and my prayers are with you. You are an awesome daughter. AWESOME! I pray when my time comes, that my family will do all they can to make sure everything has been done to help me.

With much love and care in my heart.......

sarah
11-18-2012, 09:10 AM
Jen,
know that we all care about you and see how strongly you care about your mom and how hard you are fighting for her. You must take care of yourself. Have you talked to your doctor about taking anti-anxiety or anti depression pills? you are putting too much on your shoulders. I do hope you have in person people to support you.
hugs and love
sarah

AlaskaAngel
11-18-2012, 09:23 AM
Hi Jen,

I would be among the last people to disagree with you about the question of choosing chemotherapies. Sheila is a very intelligent woman as we know, and her decisions were somewhat different from mine about it, and different from your feelings about that. Given that there is no sure answer for treatment for her, whether or not she chooses other types of drugs now and/or hospice, try to advise her as best you can and then give her the comfort of your support with her decisions. We care a lot about you both and are sorry for every bit of this struggle you both are dealing with.

AlaskaAngel

kklouisiana
11-21-2012, 05:14 PM
I am wondering how many of you are pro medical marijuana. I asked my oncologist about smoking it today and he was shocked. He told me people who wanna smoke it try to defend it because they just want it. I am one who would love to smoke it and I have lately. It made me happy! He said it was worse than cigarettes for lung cancer, so now I am concerned...also, I want to get my breast scar tattooed but my BFF said tattoos don't look good when you grow older. Heck, we are 60 now , it would still be new in ten years so should I wait til I am older to get a tattoo?

Laurel
11-21-2012, 05:46 PM
As a child of the seventies I have absolutely no objection to marijuana, KKlousiana. In my opinion it is an innocuous drug, non-addicting, and should be legalized. I KNOW! Hey, I'm a conservative, too! Who says we are all a bunch of stuffed shirts! Ha! Hope I have not shocked anyone or offended. None intended.

As for tattoos I am not a fan, but to you I say, "why not?" Tattoos on skin that has lost its elasticity can look milky, but my bet is your newly tightened skin over your surgically altered breast is nice and taunt. I am a firm believer if something makes your feel better, or have an increased body image, then go for it!

Jen, there is a program tomorrow night (Thursday) on the Wealth network about marijuana and its "cure"for cancer. I will try to remember to tune in. It looks interesting. From the promos it appears there is a serum made from cannabis that arrests cancer. Wouldn't that be wonderful? Hope you have the opportunity to watch. Your mom is a wonderful lady. I can fully embrace your fervent desire to find something, anything, that sends this cancer crap back to hell where it belongs. There is no shame in this survival game. Good luck with your search.

karen z
11-21-2012, 05:47 PM
I do not have any "issues" with medical marihuana (although it was not available to me in 2005 in Georgia!). I have never heard that smoking grass is worse than smoking tobacco for lung cancer so that would certainly be an issue (but it wouldn't have to be smoked I don't think). I don't know about a tattoo. Personally I would be worried about the ink, etc. If I really wanted a tattoo (which I don't) I might try some other place........and small.......sort of a token tattoo. But I wouldn't do anything "spur of the moment" at the moment.......maybe go shopping.

karen z
11-21-2012, 05:49 PM
Laurel,
The Wealth network?
What is that? I am out of the loop!

europa
11-21-2012, 06:25 PM
kklouisiana:

Not sure about cannabis. I do know that every cancer patient I have come across that has used it, never regret it. I knew a man that went through pancreatic cancer and would smoke marijuana several times a day during his treatment and thereafter. That was almost 20 years ago and he is still with us and still enjoys the occasional joint.

As for the tattoo, go for it! Tattoos do need to get touched up every couple of years or they do tend to blur a bit. I believe it's every 5 years for color tattoos and longer for black tattoos. I have been thinking of getting one. Just haven't decided what and where I would put it. I did get one when I was 23 years old. But I had it removed because it was not exactly what I wanted. The tattoo artist got a little too creative. So if you don't like it, you can always have it removed.

Laurel
11-21-2012, 07:22 PM
Karen,

We just switched from Comcast (connection issues) to Verizon fios and that is where I have discovered the Wealth channel. Mostly it has interesting tales about Europeans, inventors, great historic homes, etc. However, apparently they do exposes about such things as the benefits of marijuana.

rhondalea
11-21-2012, 07:46 PM
As of early 2012, marijuana is not believed to increase lung cancer risk (at least not over the 20 year period of the study):

http://healthland.time.com/2012/01/10/study-smoking-marijuana-not-linked-with-lung-damage/

As of this week, however, it could cause psychosis in genetically vulnerable individuals:

http://www.biologicalpsychiatryjournal.com/article/PIIS0006322312005550/abstract

Based on a) my lack of this polymorphism, and b) my really bad reaction every time I've ever smoked a joint, I'd say these researchers have more work to do.

kklouisiana
11-21-2012, 10:09 PM
the tattoo can be put on the back burner..i am not ashamed of my scar that kicked out cancer. my plastic surgeon is amazing in his work. he did a lot of lipo everytime he did a procedure and then he did an awesome tummy tuck, threw in a nice facelift, and made me the most amazing nipple i've ever seen which he will duplicate on the right breast in January.

Jen
11-22-2012, 08:01 AM
I am PRO POT for EVERY adult that CHOOSES to smoke and or ingest it and that includes recreational use as well.

Ellie F
11-23-2012, 08:52 AM
I think the research that smoking it may increase the risk of lung cancer has some value.However there does not seem to be any credible evidence that ingesting it causes this sort of problem!
Ellie