PDA

View Full Version : OY! I Forgot neulasta injection!!! (NOT)

chrisy
11-08-2012, 08:37 PM
Am I the only one who's such a big kitty head? I was supposed to take it on day 2 which was nov 1. Yes, over a week ago! In my defense, I had a bunch of appts that day, was trying to manage all the other new prescriptions (and what to take to counter the side effects from those). The 24 hour point was like 3 or 4 pm and all I can think is I just fell asleep and forgot!

Found it in the fridge tonight (naturally, just after office hours!). Could explain a lot - like the persistence of painful intestinal problems and horrible horrible mouth sores. Fortunately I have not had any fevers. I talked to the on call Dr who decided overnight wouldn't make a difference and wants dr Rugo to make the call on what to do.

I feel like such an idiot! In theory, I'm 2 days past the nadir so should be starting to recover, but as I'm getting on a plane Saturday to go on vacation, this couldn't have been a dumber time to have this happen. Last time my WBC got whacked down to 1000, so at best I'm still about a quart low.

Anybody else ever do anything so stupid? Or even this particular thing so you might have ideas:)

caya
11-08-2012, 09:17 PM
Chrisy sweetie, don't beat yourself up over this - you are definitely NOT an idiot!!
Chemo brain, maybe (I use this excuse for almost everything). And you certainly have a lot on your plate.

One suggestion - use your phone as your calendar. I mark everything down on my iPhone - all appointments and "reminders" - i.e. Vitamin B12 shot due next week, call Dr. X to make an appointment etc. It's great, I have it all broken down every day/hour.

Have a great vacation. The DH and I are heading to California on Tuesday for 12 days - fitting in a Bar Mitzvah, visiting my BIL and SIL in San Fran - it was our 30th anniversary in Oct., and we went to California on our honeymoon.

all the best
caya

chrisy
11-08-2012, 09:34 PM
Ha Caya, WE went to Canada (ok, western Canada) on our honeymoon!

Supposed to be nice weather here next week, but you just never know what to expect in SF! I live about 75 miles south of SF (UCSF specifically, my favorite reference point) and when I go up for tx I never know what to expect so have a back seat full of multiple coats and umbrellas!

The killer on the neulasta snafu was I thought about it multiple times during the day. I like the idea of adding it to the other various alarms I have on my phone.

lasarles
11-08-2012, 09:37 PM
Hi Caya, you are the first person I have seen on the boards that take vitamin b-12 shots. I also do, and have for about 3 years now. Do you find it helps you and is it a common thing?

NanaJoni
11-08-2012, 10:39 PM
I also have to do B-12 injections for myself once a month. I developed pernicious anemia during chemo and now will be taking the B-12 for life. Just another one of those little long-term side effects of chemo that no one mentions til it happens. It's not too big a deal for me - some fatigue but as long as I do the shots I'm good.

Pray
11-08-2012, 11:03 PM
I too get B-12 shot once a month for life. My stomach stopped producing it during last round of chemo. No biggie.

Paula O
11-09-2012, 04:55 AM
Hi Chris,

I bet every one of us has had memory lapses, important stuff we wish we didn't forget but we did and we can't do much about. "Kitty Head" is a new expression for me--it's a funny mental picture, huh? You are doing what you can do by consulting with Dr Rugo today, he'll have insight on this, am sure you aren't his first patient to forget Neulasta.

Hope you guys have a fantastic vacation--full of all you want it to be. You might want to ask the oncologist if wearing a mask on the flight might be a good idea with that recirculated air, your immunity down, and accidently no neulasta. Remember frequent hand washing throughout your trip, using a paper towel to shut off the faucet in public restrooms, and keeping your hands away from your face to reduce germ exposure.

I wonder if yogurt or probiotics might be helpful with the intestinal discomfort. Hope the horrible mouth sores resolve quickly--if you don't have stuff to treat that, ask your doc while you have him on the phone--really can help. I disliked the numb mouth from "Magic Mouthwash" with lidocaine but found another perscription oncology mouthwash in a blue bottle whose name eludes me ("Kittyheaditis"?) cleared up my mouth sores fairly quickly.

Enjoy every minute of your vacation!

Paula
P.S. You might want to clear out your Her2 Support inbox, won't accept messages because it's full.

Kim in CA
11-09-2012, 11:11 AM
Dear Chrisy...errr Kittyhead,

Even in times of distress you manage to make us laugh!

Hoping Doc Rugo has some good advice for you, and this doesn't put a kink in your vacation fun.

Just take lots of precautions when in public, as I'm sure you will.

Big Hugs,
Kim

chrisy
11-09-2012, 11:14 AM
HA HA HAHA

Well, either way I'm and idiot, but I didn't forget to take the Neulasta. What I forgot was that last week I picked up a new refill so we wouldn't be scrambling next time, and that was what I "found" in the fridge.

By the time I woke up, I already had instructions from Dr. Rugo (she's a she - you'll see her at SABCS) on what to do. But I had also planned to double check with the pharmacy first and get my counts checked just to confirm where I was. My WBC is 17.8, so I think we can safely say I don't need any more Neulasta today!

Good thing I've known Dr. Rugo so long, hopefully I have enough credits in the intelligence bank account with her that she'll excuse this kittyhead moment!

StephN
11-09-2012, 11:51 AM
Hey Chris -
My cats were smarter than the average human. So, you are bringing yourself up a level (you are beyond smarter than average anyway!).

Maybe we can address you as "Hello Kitty" from now on?

Bill
11-09-2012, 05:54 PM
Hello There, Young Lady! Hey we all get forgetful now and then, don't sweat it. Heck, once I wanted to take an Ativan and accidentally took an Ambien. Luckily I was at home and realized what I had done and got ready for a nap real quick. Where are you going on vacation?

caya
11-09-2012, 07:56 PM
lasarales -

yes I get a Vit. B12 shot every 6 weeks. My brother and first cousin have pernicious anemia, so they also take shots.
My levels were low, so my GP began giving me the shots about 2 years ago. I noticed I had more energy, but I have to admit that since being off Femara since mid-July, my energy levels have soared. I get really POed thinking how tired I was while on Tamoxifen and then the Femara - but it is what it is.

all the best
caya

Redwolf8812
11-10-2012, 04:45 AM
Been there, done that, Chrisy. It's now a permanent alarm on my iPhone. :-)

sassy
11-11-2012, 11:21 AM
Hey Chrissy,

FYI when I was on Neulasta 7 years ago, I actually took the injection on the second day after chemo. It just worked better for me scheduling wise because at that point I had to travel back to the cancer center to take it. My onc was OK with that. He said it had to be no sooner than 24 hours and no later than 48--so we kept it in that window.

Have fun on vacation!

karen z
11-12-2012, 09:05 AM
o.k., Chrissy.........you are human (although super human I know) and have memory lapses like the rest of us. I don't even want to go into some stuff I have forgotten to do.
Love,
K

BonnieR
11-12-2012, 05:05 PM
I need you to stop calling yourself names and hammering on yourself! All is well. Keep the faith.

chrisy
11-12-2012, 09:42 PM
Don't worry girls...kitty head is an affectionate term in our house... Idiot was a wee bit strong I admit.

mmoons
11-14-2012, 07:30 AM
Hello Kitty-

I adore you. Thinking of you every day!

Maureen

chrisy
11-14-2012, 10:41 AM
Maureen you made me laugh

Laurel
11-21-2012, 07:17 PM
Chrissy,

I was off-boards for a bit due to a downed computer so was just getting caught up on old posts. First, let me say that I belly-laughed at your plight! As you are younger than me I will not suggest this is chemo-brain-mixed-with-a-shake-or-two-of-old-age (as it would be with moi).

The kitty-cat on my lap (Meow-Meow at the moment) wants you to know that she takes deep umbrage at your kitty head reference and feels it is insensitive of you to disparage felines of the world in such a manner. She further asserts that kitty-cats are brilliantly clever creatures far exceeding the abilities of the average human and so therefore she is not at all surprised that you would forget something and then blame it on the innocent cat. She added peevishly (did I mention Meow-Meow is a drama queen?) that she would not be shocked to hear you fart and pass it off on the poor canine in your mist! She is also insisting that I inform you for the record that CATS DO NOT FART!. Dogs do and they are disgusting (for the record, naturally). Sorry, but she is just so lathered up at the moment. I fear it is time to pull out the catnip! I keep a ready supply for times such as these.

Now do not feel too badly, Chris. Meow-Meow tends to get on her high horse about kitty-bashing in America. I think it was the 101 Uses For A Dead Cat book that got her rolling a few years ago and she has been insufferable ever since. Please also forgive the vulgarity. I am sorry to say my cats are not pure-breeds, but rescued strays, who are not of the upper crust of kittydom and therefore use such offensive terms as "farts." Again, please accept my apologies for my kitty-cat and do know I would never engage in the usage of such uncouth and foul language.

Well now that we have that all established and properly sorted I shall sign off and fill Meow-Meow's catnip toy before she starts up about the great cat-abuse being perpetuated in the country and around the world. Meow-Meow insists the world would be a far better place if ruled by felines and on that I quite agree.

chrisy
11-21-2012, 08:34 PM
May I say again, I LOVE cats. I find them wise, compassionate, always there when needed. On many occasions I have come home, sat in the garage removing my shoes after having a stressful day, or somebody being mean to me, or getting bad news about a scan. The kitty (one of the several in my life) would come into the garage from the back door, walk right up to me, and either climb my lap or roll around on his/her back purring and begging to be petted. Which was always incredibly healing for me, and apparently nice for the kitty too.

Kitty head has been a term of endearment I our family for over 20 years, in recognition of our wonderful but occasionally absentminded kitty. She would runout into the yard chasing something and then suddenly stop and look around as if without the slightest idea why she was there.

Of course I do that too...so maybe it should be chrisyhead all along.

StephN
11-21-2012, 11:21 PM
Well, Chris - THAT explains it!

We call that "cat Martians." Things only they see and dither about. Just looks like "forgetfullness" to us lowly humans who can't see those Martians!

Midwest Alice
11-23-2012, 10:45 AM
Hey, Chrisy, You are always sunny side up and make me smile.