PDA

View Full Version : walking in memory of courtney - 9/9/12

v-ness
09-05-2012, 07:37 PM
the other night i used magic marker to write the names of everyone i am 'walking for' on sunday, 9/9, in the Boston Marathon Jimmy Fund Walk. it came to WAY too many names. i had to start writing smaller. i thought i'd share it with you guys because one of those i walk in memory and honor of is Courtney L, who meant so much to many here and who was so inspiring and kind to me. i wanted to show you my t-shirt, which is in the album in the link below. if you click on it, you can see it big enough to read all the names. another person on it is vicky, VLCARR, whom i met here and who became a good friend. as you can see by the stars and the RIP's beside names, too many are gone.

my friend stacy's name has 2 stars because a month after she joined my team BRAVE, she was diagnosed with breast cancer too. she's in chemo now and can't do the 13.1 half-marathon, but a friend is coming to do it for her. BRAVE is not because i think i'm brave, but is made up of initials (and now it's become BRAVES to include Stacy). B is for my mom, barbara (ovarian cancer '10), R is for my husband robert (esophageal cancer '07), A is for his niece aimee (stage 4 breast cancer diagnosed in april), V is for me, E is for Everyone touched in any way by cancer.

the Walk raises millions for the Jimmy Fund which funds research and patient care at Dana Farber Cancer Institute. so often in dealing with cancer we are left feeling so helpless. you can say "let me know what i can do" and all that - but this way i get to also DO something concrete without being asked. instead i asked a bunch of people to support me and my team, and they came through. :) we're up to more than $7700 and our goal was $7500.

apparently our story is so unusual that the Jimmy Fund media people emailed today because the Boston Globe wants to interview me at the Finish Line and a Boston TV station wants to film Team BRAVE. :) i will have to pack a compact and lip gloss in my fanny pack. ha! and kleenex, because i am sure to be in tears.

so i hope courtney will smile upon me that day and use any influence to bring us sunshine and cool weather to keep my hot flashes at bay. and know that by doing this, i'm also walking for all of you because their research (and DF is a great hospital) helps us all.

valerie

http://her2support.org/vbulletin/album.php?albumid=63

radiant
09-05-2012, 08:01 PM
Spectacular Valerie!

Kim

Pray
09-05-2012, 09:12 PM
Great job Valerie! I think you will feel like its a beautiful sunny day even if its not! Let me be the first to thank you for doing this for such a great cause! Thank you! Gods blessings to team brave!

Paula O
09-06-2012, 04:02 AM
Thank you for sharing!

You go, girl!

Paula

lkc Gumby
09-06-2012, 11:34 AM
Thank you valerie!! Wonderful tribute.

jellybean
09-06-2012, 11:47 AM
The link doesn't work for me, and I would like to send it and your post to Courtney's husband.

JB

suzan w
09-06-2012, 07:31 PM
What a wonderful tribute

v-ness
09-06-2012, 07:43 PM
hmm.... how odd. let me try again.

http://www.jimmyfundwalk.org/faf/donorReg/donorPledge.asp?ievent=1000775&lis=1&kntae1000775=83EA8D16222F47ACA61ECE898E934CF1&supId=361455122

that is the link to my personal Jimmy Fund page where courtney's name is listed at the bottom. could you all see my photo album with the t-shirt demo all right? what better way to celebrate such an active soul than to put miles and miles beneath my feet.

there was an article on the local web news today about western mass people taking part (43 of us) and i'll share that link here too.

http://www.masslive.com/news/index.ssf/2012/09/43_western_massachusetts_resid.html

i feel like i have risen from the ashes, in a way. i see my husband and i lying in his hospital bed the night before he died and how gaunt he was and how bloated and horrible i looked from stress. i saw the scale crawl up too high for me to tolerate during chemo. and then now it's like being given my life back. with a dose of Motrin. :) i added a pic of bob and i on his last night. his smile genuine, even though he knew what was coming. the best thing that ever happened to me, that man. i am sure jay feels the same about courtney.

valerie

v-ness
09-06-2012, 08:00 PM
could someone PM me jay's email address? he made a donation in memory of courtney, but the blasted software only tells me who and how much and i want to write him a thank you. i had his address at one time in my own email on my mac, but it crashed once and i seemed to have lost all my folders where i kept my cancer emails in a group. thanks, valerie

Mary Anne in TX
09-07-2012, 02:45 PM
You Rock, Valerie Girl!

Jean
09-10-2012, 09:32 PM
Valerie,
Beautiful post....
Thank you.

Jean

jellybean
09-10-2012, 10:32 PM
I sent you a PM with Jay's e-mail address.

Ellie F
09-11-2012, 07:13 AM
Hi Valerie
Thank you so much for doing this tribute. I always joked with Courtney about being her surrogate mum and was heartbroken when she died. Even though I'm in England I always feel a really strong connection with my sisters in the States and other parts of the world and remain grateful for help at times when I've needed it so much.
Hope you have a great day
Ellie