PDA

View Full Version : Oh yeah, and about that bad leg...

chrisy
08-31-2012, 12:21 PM
Hi all,*
I never posted news about the MK2206 trial running out of steam for me, nor about the persistent leg injury (torn muscle/tendon in leg which over the past weeks, and past few days has grown increasingly alarming.

The trial failure, Perjeta issue and interim plans were to be the main topics of discussion at my office visit with Dr Rugo yesterday morning.

So the NP and Dr Rugo took one look at my leg and the acute issue is that, whether it is a blood clot (now ruled out) or an infection around the injury. Either thing lands me in the hospital with an IV drip. *Now we know it's an antibiotic to,hopefully fight the infections, plus a unit of blood just for kicks.*

Well the day took a major turn and has now ended up as a Labor Day weekend at the always luxurious UCSF Parnassas hospital! *Actually, this is the best place for me to be, one of the best hospitals in California.

I just hope I don't have to listen to a timeshare presentation. *

But it's probably a several day ( or more) stay.

I believe this is a blessing, not *even disguised. *I knew there was something terribly wrong with the leg; now I feel there is a competent team looking at it from all the necessary angles...or maybe angels. * No way I could have pulled that together. *

I am an interesting and unusual case (go figure!) and have already had 6 doctors/surgeons looking at it trying to figure out what to do. *More on the way, too. They are trying to decide whether or not do do surgery to clean out some of the fluid/blood/infection. And have me NPO which is Latin for no putting anything in your mouth.

So i hope they decide soon, although the surgery sounds scary and painful, too.

I've recently relearned from a dear friend how powerful prayer can be...so am boldly asking for as many as can be floated out there...

Thanks for the love, my friends

Redwolf8812
08-31-2012, 12:41 PM
Prayers, prayers, prayers....

Jeanette
08-31-2012, 12:50 PM
Prayers coming your way Chrisy, jeanette

BonnieR
08-31-2012, 01:02 PM
You have already paid more than enough for the Timeshare!! Seems like you might have signed up for a few. That happens when you get carried away.
Seriously, I am sorry to hear where you find yourself but glad that it is giving you comfort. It IS good to know that something is being done.
Keep the faith.

caya
08-31-2012, 01:35 PM
Sending you lots of hugs and prayers from Canada Chrisy.

Hope those docs can figure everything out for you!

all the best
caya

Lani
08-31-2012, 01:35 PM
Have you (before this even if the past few months/year) been given an antibiotic that ends in floxin or floxicillin? They have been known to predispose those taking them (even one dose) to tendon ruptures including biceps tendons, Achilles tendons, posterior tibialis tendons)

Are they planning an MRI or just ultrasound on your leg? The former would show a lot more from what I understand.

Hope this helps everyone get on board ie, doctors from lots of disciplines helping you get your perjeta.

KaiM
08-31-2012, 02:01 PM
lots of prayers coming your way. You are one of my inspirations on this board and I'm sure you will continue to be so.

jellybean
08-31-2012, 02:14 PM
Hey Chrisy,

I am sure you had better plans for the three day weekend.

If you need anything over the weekend, please let me know. I live in San Francisco, and could bring over food (when you are not NPO), reading materials, or whatever else you could use from the "outside." I will check this thread, and also my private messages, over the weekend. I know you didn't pack an overnight bag for your Thursday appointment.

Best,

JB

karen z
08-31-2012, 02:32 PM
Prayers are coming your way.
Please hang in there and be the toughie you are.
K

Becky
08-31-2012, 02:41 PM
Thoughts and best wishes for you always.

Pray
08-31-2012, 03:20 PM
More prayers coming. Gods blessings to you. Please keep us posted. feel free to chime in as often as you like. You know someone is always on here!

Mary Anne in TX
08-31-2012, 04:22 PM
It's so easy to pray for you, Chris! I'll even add a footnote prayer about the time share people. Although, one might be a past life insurance agent who knows the ropes. Tons of prayers and love I send. ma

Ceesun
08-31-2012, 05:42 PM
Chrissy, If you go for the timeshare, be sure to buy on the secondary market, not brand new like we did!!! Although, I loved every moment of having one...that was before BC, oh well. Seriously though, I am counting on a full recovery for the leg issue and a successful treatment option for you. Sincerely, Ceesun

chrisy
08-31-2012, 06:08 PM
Timeshare, shmimeshare. I (or maybe the insurance co) could have paid for the Perjeta by the time I get out of here. Insurance karma maybe.

Lani - you are on point. Prior the the initial muscle, tendon tear no such antibiotics. I did a short course of cipro in June and was a bit freaked by that side effect

The acute issue right noe is excessive bleeding and now abscess, which has to be drained tomorrow morning.

But yes, I will be demanding an MRI, I'm not buyin it's the same injury without proof.

In a way tho it doesn't matter in terms of treatment but it does impact Phys therapy so we need to know.

Will be busy tomorrow!

StephN
08-31-2012, 06:32 PM
Well, Chris, you are in OUR version of a "timeshare." Just that it is the kind where we want to spend as little of our time there as possible! And the daily rate is sky high ...

I am glad you are being put under watch, as I have a friend whose hubby almost died from a little scratch on his leg that ballooned up and he was then transported from his work to the hospital within TWO hours of getting to work.

You just need to make sure that everyone who touches you is as sterile as possible. Prayers now directed toward that leg problem.

JennyB
08-31-2012, 06:42 PM
Lots of prayers wishes and anything else that could possibly help!

Jenny

Mary Jo
08-31-2012, 07:28 PM
Lifting you up in prayer Chrisy! Love and hugs.

Mary Jo

Debbie L.
08-31-2012, 07:47 PM
Oh my, Chris!

I will take the good news first, that you are at UCSF and that many experts are taking an interest in solving your mysteries. Yay!

But dang! NPO, surgery worries, probably "some" pain that you neglected to mention, etc. I hear you and/or read between the lines on all of that, too -- and send lots of good and healing thoughts, and love.

Debbie Laxague

cheery
08-31-2012, 07:55 PM
Hi Chrisy

I've been following your posts quietly over the years (they're a great motivation to me,thanks!) but just felt that it's now time to pop in to offer my support.

Sorry to hear about the Pertuzumab and this additional side-track. Hope you'll get back on your feet soon and get that killer Pertuzumab combo!

I've got a prayer team behind me too, so yes, prayers are on the way for you! Take care

Rgds

Catherine

turtle
08-31-2012, 08:48 PM
Dr. Rugo is supposed to be one of if not "the" best- and her first name, Hope, is what we all have for you- plus all the prayers in our hearts.

Good luck and keep us posted if you can- hang on tight,

turtle.

NEDenise
08-31-2012, 08:58 PM
&%$#@!!!

It never rains...unless it pours! Geez Louise! And I thought I was having a run of bad luck! Like you didn't have enough on your plate without a nice juicy abscess that needs draining! Criminy!

I hope you know, you're in my prayers every day anyway...but I'll be adding a few extras tonight...and tomorrow...and every day, until you are firmly on the road to being happy, healthy Chris again.

I'm so sorry your long weekend is going to be spent feeling lousy. And...NPO?...that just sucks! Except that...on the bright side...hospital food isn't what one would call delicious anyway.

sending love and hugs your way
Denise

michka
08-31-2012, 11:53 PM
Chrisy, you are in my thoughts. You went through enough. You seem to have a very good team of Drs around you and I hope they can "fix" that leg real fast. I also hope that meanwhile, the path to Petuzumab is opening up for you. And fast also! Hugs, hugs. Michka

KsGal
09-01-2012, 01:17 AM
It's sad that we are in a situation where I am relieved to hear you have a giant cyst in your leg full of infection rather than something...else. Of course, I wish you had no problems with your leg whatsoever, but you know what I mean. Having said that..make the most of your stay. Get some rest. Somehow I picture you in my mind just going going going every day. Read, watch TV and RECOVER! You really are having a rough month here..Im sure sending you my prayers every day and lots of positive energy. Big cyber hugs to you, and please keep us updated.

Bunty
09-01-2012, 06:13 AM
Chrisy, I always love reading your posts - you have a wonderful spirit, and great sense of humour, even at times like these! Anyway, prayers going up from down under and sending you lots of good vibes....
Cheers Marie

Lori R
09-01-2012, 07:09 AM
Chris,
Certainly sending out a prayer for this difficult time.

I do, do, do believe in angels and the karma of the universe. You can count on them and they have already shown to you they exist.

A mantra that is comforting to me when slowly breathing in and out is that, "I am in his hands". It just says that things are how they are supposed to be. We don't have the full picture so we just have to trust that we are on our life's specific path, and all will be as it should be.

I will PM my prayer as I am not the most eloquent. A little shy for all you brainiacs on the site...but it will be heartfelt.

Keep up the fight...Love you.

Lani
09-01-2012, 08:45 AM
bit confused by the timing...

when was injury/what happened

did you take the cipro before or after the initial injury...did it get worse anytime after you took the cipro (can happen quickly or much later, I understand)

See if you can get lots of your doctors involved ("sign a petition") to help you get the Perjeta either from your insurance or from Genentech. Lots of doctors looking at Genentech's handling of this may help, but they are probably afraid to give it to someone whose history does not match its indications "It is not yet approved for that indication" I can already hear coming from their mouths.

If insurance won't come around and Genentech takes that position, kperhaps compassionate use may be the only way and I don't know if that allows those for whom the approved indication is not there ie, the legal implications.

Let's all keep brainstorming!

Ellie F
09-01-2012, 11:21 AM
Prayers being said and sent from across the pond, firstly for an accurate diagnosis, secondly for the right treatment plan and thirdly for a speedy and complete recovery.
Hugs
Ellie

Andrea Barnett Budin
09-01-2012, 11:29 AM
http://cdn-cf.aol.com/se/clip_art/peeps-emt/senti/clips/hands-clip http://cdn-cf.aol.com/se/clip_art/peeps-emt/senti/clips/godsmile-cliphttp://cdn-cf.aol.com/se/clip_art/peeps-emt/senti/clips/clip1-blessyouhttp://cdn-cf.aol.com/se/clip_art/peeps-emt/senti/clips/prayingforyou-clip

I am with you, Christika in California...

I believe in YOU and I thoroughly believe in PRAYER!!

Much love, Andi

SoCalGal
09-01-2012, 02:05 PM
Sending prayers, love, hugs...

kklouisiana
09-01-2012, 03:22 PM
Praying for you in Louisiana......
Ask, Believe Give, Thanks, Receive

Jackie07
09-01-2012, 03:28 PM
Sending prayers your way...

Jean
09-01-2012, 07:08 PM
You got em....healing prayers are being sent.
Hugs,
Jean

chemteach
09-01-2012, 08:22 PM
My prayers. Many many prayers!

chrisy
09-01-2012, 08:53 PM
Update, kinda long, some parts might be TMI so skip that part if you want. Basically things going in the right direction today, feeling better and they are letting me eat now. Seems the dinner menu so far is stew, white or brown every day.

A very fun day at Casa Parnassas! I've completely lost track of how many doctors I've seen now, but my favorite one has to be the anesthesiologist who, while discussing the risks, says that although theres the liver mets, I was very YOUNG and healthy my risks of anesth complications was really low. I want some of whatever he's juicing!

First, thank you so much for the prayers and messages of support. I feel awash in love, which always makes me cry.. The good way.

CAUTION, ICKY PART This morning I had a procedure where they drained a big abscess, which hopefully give the antibiotics and my own immune system more of a fighting chance. And reduce some of the pressure and related pain in my calf. Of course there is still a ton of inflammation in the tissue so lower leg still swollen and painful...before considering the actual original offending injury!

So will be more hospital days and long recovery but hopefully we can knock out the infection and get back to focusing on the cancer thing. Talk about one step at a time (for you, Flori!).

GOOD NEWSIES
In their test ordering frenzy, my oncologist ordered a brain MRI, the only thing they didn't have current. Looks like the MRI shows I still have nothing going on upstairs! And I have finally achieved a goal, actually falling asleep in the MRI, being jolted awake when the noise STOPPED! Strange days, indeed.

Lani - original injury, torn planaris muscle/tendon was around April 15. Stepping off a curb. Cipro was I think in last week in June. Reinjury was August 11, definitely plantari but as you know I do not yet have current MRI. So the reinjury, while having clear source event, might have been also fueled by the cipro

AND THE PERJETA OFFENSIVE IS STILL ON, JUST NEED TO FUEL THE TROOPS (ME). So thanks for the suggestions - I intend to load up the arsenal!

Love to all
Chris

KsGal
09-01-2012, 10:58 PM
A lot of your news was great!!! YAY!
Ummm..brown or white stew every meal? BOOOooooo. Two thumbs down. I feel like I need to ring up Pizza Hut and tell the delivery guy it's an emergency situation...Pepperoni STAT! :)
Im so glad you are feeling better today. Hopefully every day gets better and better. Lots of hugs and prayers to you.

Paula O
09-02-2012, 02:53 AM
Hooray for the good news and your progress, Chris!

Something that brings me comfort is to think about how God mentions in the Bible that He cares when sparrows fall out of trees and has counted every single hair on our head (and knows all about the losses from chemo too). He thought you up, designed beautiful you just exactly as you are, and knew every detail about you before you were ever even conceived in your mother's womb. He loves us all beyond our wildest dreams according to my lifesource--Scripture.

I am praying on your behalf to the One Who says He can do EXCEEDINGLY ABUNDANTLY ABOVE all we can ask or think. I know this is a really tough time and my heart goes out to you. Be watching for His Fingerprints. Sometimes extraordinary blessings come wrapped in packages that we don't immediately recognize as the good gifts that they are.

Hugs,

Paula
"Prayers are instantly noticed in Heaven. Wherever there's a heart big with sorrow. Or a lip quivering with agony. Or a deep groan of sadness, the heart of God is open." Charles Spurgeon

NEDenise
09-02-2012, 04:50 AM
Chris,
So glad to read good news! And...so glad to "hear" your voice when I read it too! I love that none of this crap has dampened your spirit!
Sending more prayers and love from my coast to yours,
Denise

Pray
09-02-2012, 07:05 AM
What an amazing trooper you are! Gods blessings to you and I'm praying for you.

Andrea Barnett Budin
09-02-2012, 11:00 AM
I hear you!

I remember one doc telling me about my recurrence. Slowly, morosely and stammering he said,What you have is inoperable. Incurable. And -- you will be on long term chemotherapy -- for the rest of your life. He was desolate and stricken by my turn of events. I thought he was going to cry.

Wereas, Doc #2 told me, You are young. I was then 53. I laughed. And in good health. I thought, Seriously? Except for the canser thing throughout my liver, I'm fresh as a daisy. Oh, and not having surgery is probably a good thing, he went on, cause then you'll be stronger to take the chemo. Incurable?, he proceeded. canser is a chronic disease, with occasional flare ups. We fix you up, and then you're good to go.

So, your anesthesiologist sounds like my kind of man!!!!Hold on to that one...

Storm the beach and get your Perjeta... Damn the insurance company. You are unstoppable.

Even with all your bad news (like white stew????) etc., you never fail to make me smile. You're full of Light. Divine!

I'd say, One step at a time, but with your leg, I am hoping you are a good hopper... Bet you are!
Andi

sassy
09-03-2012, 05:04 PM
Chrissy,

I haven't posted but I've been keeping up with you.

Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.

How about a little Tex-Mex with a side of Mole sauce to replace that stew thing you got going on?!!

Sheila
09-03-2012, 05:59 PM
I am just thinking, potato,balls, cream of potato ball soup, potato,ball leg packing, potato ball IV,, whatever it takes to get you out of that place!!
Sending healing vibes and lots of prayers!!!

chrisy
09-03-2012, 06:09 PM
Sassy - sign me up!

Last nights dinner, which I get to order off a menu now, was herbed chicken, vegetables, bulger wheat pilaf, plus chicken noodle soup and some pineapple chunks.

The chicken noodle soup, pineapple chunks, and veggies were very good.

The chicken was, I fact, a small portion of chicken breast which was quite tasty, a tad overcooked but definitely not stew and pretty good.

The bulger pilaf was...white rice

But overall quite acceptable.

radiant
09-03-2012, 08:24 PM
Chrisy -

U r doing great! Only natural however to feel
some battle fatigue. I would be feeling that, for
sure.

Hugs,

Kim

jellybean
09-03-2012, 10:34 PM
Chrisy,

Can someone bring you in food from the outside? It is a shame for you to suffer with hospital food when you are in San Francisco, a culinary mecca.

I hope your leg is doing better.

JB

Paula O
09-06-2012, 04:40 AM
Chris,

How's today going for you? I hope your leg is healing up well. Any new news on your progress and talk of heading home sweet home and outta that hospital soon?

I wish we were neighbors. I'd be over with a bouquet from my garden and a yummy meal. My girls and I could even clean your house when you got home and make it sparkle. It sure is nice to have a clean house when you don't feel well and have all that time to see the dust bunnies from a prone position. But alas--I'm all the way on the other coast so consider yourself ((cyberhugged))) from afar . :)

I was just looking at this list of war strategies again and think they apply so well to our battles with cancer:

1. “Wars are fought strategically. One battle at a time.
2 . Wars are fought on more than one front.
3. We must expect setbacks and defeats along the way.
4. When we lose a battle, we must get back on track immediately, so we don’t lose the war.
5. We will not win if we refuse to fight.”
——Carole Lewis

Take courage, friend. You can do this a day at a time. Sometimes a minute at a time is enough.

Paula

alicem
09-06-2012, 06:40 PM
Hey there,

I've been out of the country and away from the boards for awhile. I'm happy things are looking a bit better for you, but really, really ticked off about the insurance situation. I hope this gets resolved in your favor real soon! Just wanted you to know that you continue to be in my prayers. Cyber hugs coming your way my friend!!!

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

chrisy
09-07-2012, 05:42 PM
Quick update
Out of hospital late Tuesday. Still on antibiotics thru Sunday but hopefully infection will bstay gone.

Now I have an open wound that needs daily care, could take a month or more to heal. Complicates chemo decisions for sure.

Perjeta still in review, nothing to appeal, yet, since it hasn't been officially denied.

Paula, thanks for your post, I really needed that. Feeling overwhelmed with all the various battle fronts right now!

Love to all
Chris

Mandamoo
09-07-2012, 08:51 PM
Chrisy - so glad you are going home! It will feel wonderful to be home.
Just wondering if you have every done a Tykerb and Herceptin combo? Seems to be so much talk about it and I don't see it in your history as being used together - just thought its a chemo-less option that may help with stability?

BonnieR
09-07-2012, 09:17 PM
Glad you and your open wound are out of the hospital. Those places are full of terrible germs!
Paula's post was great. I guess this is where our "warrior" reputation comes from. Battles. Just take the most immediate one. And knock them back, one at a time. I like the saying "when you are going thru hell, keep going!" And you are just the gal to do it. Keep the faith.

Paula O
09-08-2012, 03:32 AM
Woooohoooooo! So glad you're home sweet home, Chrissy! No more stew in various hues for a LONG time! Enough of the wake ups in the middle of the night to check your vital signs, draw blood work, etc! Away from those creepy crawly hospital germies at last!

I bet getting back to your own bed felt really good to snuggle up into! If you haven't ever taken advantage of http://cleaningforareason.org/, it's an awesome free service perhaps you can use. Do you have some extra help as you recouperate? Remember, friends love to help friends--sometimes they just need to be asked. :)

Hope you heal up ASAP!

Paula

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/s480x480/557426_330885113672178_1110215743_n.jpg (http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=330885113672178&set=o.372637742809380&type=1&relevant_count=1&ref=nf)

Photo taken at a Relay For Life event by my friend.

Andrea Barnett Budin
09-08-2012, 12:39 PM
Just love your posts, Paula! (I watched a PBS special over many days and hours about WWII. Wars are not fought on only one front. And when you find yourself in hell, our soldiers just kept going! Setbacks and defeat occur, but we must move on anyway. We won that war against all odds, vividly and awesomely portrayed by that special. I hadn't realized how gloomy it got there.)

And your Survival picture -- fabulous. Every line! (Question -- that last line -- SURVIVAL ISN'T MEASURED IN TOMORROWS BUT IN THE ???? BLUE OF TODAY... (That's how I saw it, as I always have my head in the sky...)

Chrisy, you are such a stellar human being, I don't have adequate words. Your delightful take on Life just makes me glow. Thank you for being you.

HEAL! Be extra good to yourSelf. Love yourSelf. And get on with the next battle. One at a time.

Thinking of you. How could I not?! Cyberhugs galore...

ANDI

Paula O
09-08-2012, 12:57 PM
> (Question -- that last line -- SURVIVAL ISN'T MEASURED IN TOMORROWS BUT IN THE ???? BLUE OF TODAY... (That's how I saw it, as I always have my head in the sky...)

Andi, it's hard to read with the green pom-pom flower accent in the way but I'm thinking it says , "...but in the value of today". I really liked the message on that sign too.

Learning to "live my joy out loud", :)
Paula

Andrea Barnett Budin
09-08-2012, 01:05 PM
I believe posting on this site is a way of LIVING MY JOY OUT LOUD. Sharing it. It just feels so right...

NEDenise
09-08-2012, 02:50 PM
Yay Chris!
So glad to hear you are home!
Prayers going up for quick healing of that leg...and a new and wonderful chemo cocktail in your near future!
Hugs,
Denise

Becky
09-08-2012, 06:09 PM
I am glad you're home and healing! I think of you every day.