PDA

View Full Version : It's national dog day

chekmark
08-26-2012, 09:51 AM
so treat your beloved pet extra special today. Wow they have a day for everything these days. My pets bring me laughter everyday. They heal the heart and are so devoted to us. My dog may get a trip to McDonalds today and get a burger. lol. She will get her frosty paws treat for sure. She loves those, especially the peanut butter ones. ( Actually everyday is national dog day at my house, she is pretty spoiled). So hug your pet today.

carolanno
08-26-2012, 10:12 AM
Yea for our dogs! I just went through a scare w/my border collie--she needed a biopsy for a lump on her leg--50% chance it was cancer. i almost died from the anxiety...it was good news though--just hardened scar tissue...that really would have put me over the edge since she has helped me through my fight...

chekmark
08-26-2012, 10:33 AM
I had to put 2 down 3 months apart while I was going thru treatment. As if I wasn't going thru enough. It was so hard so I got a rescue, she was abused horribly and needed some work. I thought this would be good for me, a new focus. It didn't take her long to realize that she was in a good home now and that we were not going to hurt her. I don't understand why people feel the need to hurt an animal. She has come along way and is my girl. So glad I found her.

carolanno
08-26-2012, 11:08 AM
How awful to lose 2 animals when you need them the most. Sounds like you and the new one rescued each other...

sarah
08-26-2012, 11:11 AM
Hello,
Yes thank goodness for our 4 paws friends! Our lovely, smart Border Collie girl saw me through the first time with cancer and moved from Southern California to France with us, she couldn't understand why we hadn't moved sooner since you can take your dog to restaurants and hotels! Sadly she left us at 13 due to a heart aliment. And now Tania, who's photo is my signature, a lovely rescue Griffon, is seeing me through this time around. She was abandoned at 3 years of age, don't know why. She's so sweet and gentle and calm and funny. She's traveled to Italy, Corsica and many places in France with us.
Can you believe that you can only take an animal into the Basilica of St Francis of Assisi in Assisi once a year!!! seems like he would want them in more than people but....
Nothing like a dog's hello to make you feel loved when you return home!
Woof from Tania
Sarah

sarah
08-26-2012, 11:12 AM
Hello,
Yes thank goodness for our 4 paws friends! Our lovely, smart Border Collie girl saw me through the first time with cancer and moved from Southern California to France with us, she couldn't understand why we hadn't moved sooner since you can take your dog to restaurants and hotels! Sadly she left us at 13 due to a heart aliment. And now Tania, whose photo is my signature, a lovely rescue Griffon, is seeing me through this time around. She was abandoned at 3 years of age, don't know why. She's so sweet and gentle and calm and funny. She's traveled to Italy, Corsica and many places in France with us.
Can you believe that you can only take an animal into the Basilica of St Francis of Assisi in Assisi once a year!!! seems like he would want them in more than people but....
Nothing like a dog's hello to make you feel loved when you return home!
Woof from Tania
Sarah

BonnieR
08-26-2012, 01:11 PM
Yes, they are by our side in the darkest moments. And bring such joy.
My husband and I (mostly HIM!) are a Therapy Dog team with our Porter. Visiting nursing homes and hospitals. I appreciated the impact these visits make when I was first diagnosed myself and sitting scared in waiting rooms. It helped so much when another dog team came around to offer distraction and affection.

LeahM
08-26-2012, 02:29 PM
Well, we don't have a dog but tomorrow I will be adopting two kitties! Is there a national cat day??

BonnieR
08-26-2012, 03:25 PM
Every day is cat day! Just ask one!

StephN
08-26-2012, 09:20 PM
Ho! Bonnie, you crack me up! I had cats to see me thought all my roughtest days (there were a LOT!) and they always thought they were Queen of the House.

Jackie07
08-26-2012, 11:53 PM
"October 29, 2012 is
National Cat Day

Today is National Cat Day! Send a free cat eCard (http://www.punchbowl.com/ecards/for-cat-lovers) to spread the word about this unique holiday! “What greater gift than the love of a cat?” Charles Dickens once mused. Cats are one of the most beloved human companions of all time. They were first domesticated in the Middle East’s Fertile Crescent as early as 12,000 years ago. When humans relied on hunting as their main source of food, dogs were most useful, but when the first agricultural societies emerged, cats became invaluable. Domesticated cats became responsible for keeping grain stores free of mice and other rodents. Today, cats can be found in 34% of American households, making them the most popular house pet in the United States.

Pet lifestyle expert and animal welfare advocate Colleen Paige established National Cat Day (http://www.nationalcatday.com/) in 2005. The day serves as a reminder to the public about the number of cats that need to be rescued. Approximately 4 million cats enter animal shelters each year and 1-2 million of them are euthanized.

In honor of National Cat Day, celebrate cats and the unconditional love and companionship they give to their owners. If you don't own a cat, volunteer at your local animal shelter or make a donation. It’s the purrrrfect way to show you care!" http://www.punchbowl.com/holidays/national-cat-day

Jackie07
08-27-2012, 12:14 AM
My 'Puppydog' came to our doorstep in 2004, just 4 years after my first major surgery - a 23-hour craniotomy! After spending 4 hours pulling all the grass burrs off her fur/hair, I (we) took her to a local Vet's office when nobody in our neighborhood would claim her.

Turned out she's a toy poodle! She weighed 4 1/2 lbs - must have been hungry for several days because she soon gained weight and eventually reached six pounds.

I fully believed that she had been sent to me as a messenger. Our auto mechanic friend told us that 'Dog is the reflection of God'...

She helped me connect with my new neighbors (kids would knock on my door asking to play with 'Puppy') She helped smooth up my relationship with my husband before the '7 years itch'! She's the beloved 'grand doggy' of my In-laws as I can not bear children...

Hubby purchased a fuzzy toy dog for me when I woke up from the Gamma-knife Radiosurgery in 2001. Two years later, I was diagnosed with breast cancer! Unemployed and depressed, 'Puppy' became a source of joy ...

Then I was diagnosed with breast cancer - again! She stayed with me all the way till I was done with all the treatment (had 18 weeks of TCH + 4 weekly Herceptin) in spring, 2008. And then she fell asleep peacefully (and permanently) one day on our kitchen floor...

The Vet sent us a poem about the 'Rainbow Bridge'... Yes, I believe my 'Puppy' will be waiting for me at the Rainbow Bridge ...

sarah
08-27-2012, 08:03 AM
Cats rule, dogs worship! I think dogs and cats should be allowed in certain areas of all hospitals, rehabilition, retirement, orphanages etc because it has been shown that a person's stress level decreases when stroking an animal and they give so much unselfish love.
Bonnie I think it's great that you take Porter as a therapy dog to homes. This is great to read about. We have a friend and neighbor who works for a charity training dogs for the handicapped = I must admit that his Labradoodle is the smartest, sweetest dog I've ever looked after, sorry Tania - you've got the looks and the sweetness but...100 commands!!!
Everyone should have an animal = they would be so much happier and less depressed and particularly children to give them someone to look after and adore them!!! I couldn't imagine not having a dog or cat. I tend to dogs more because I like to go on walks but all animals are great - horses, donkeys, elephants!, etc Also dogs are more open to staying with other people or traveling.
Only warning to beginners, adopt an older animal not a puppy or kitten only because they can be ramunctious and destroy things!! especially shoes! I feel I've reached an age that even my husband and I, pros at dogs and cats, would only consider slightly older animals.
Stay well
Woof and meoew!
Sarah

Jean
08-29-2012, 08:27 PM
Everyday at my house is dog day!!!
Love my fur child.

Jean