PDA

View Full Version : Its spread to my port!

Delaney
08-08-2012, 08:53 PM
I'm due to start a new chemo (Myocet) on Friday as I have a skin lesion on my chest that has been growing. My Port is on the other side of my chest. On Tuesday of this week I went to see the emergency room Oncologist as the port was inflamed and weeping. I was given anti biotics. This morning my whole chest is red and it looks as if its all one wound. Has anyone had this happen? I dont know what, if anything, can be done about this. I think I have entered a very serious stage, if anyone can help I would appreciate it.

dchips1
08-08-2012, 09:57 PM
Prayers of healing coming your way. I am sorry I do not have any solutions or ideas but know I will add you to my prayer list.

Darita

JennyB
08-09-2012, 01:57 AM
Delaney do try not to think the worst it could be that the infection has spread rather than the met growing you start the new chemo tomorrow ask the docs and nurses then.

Your in my prayers sorry I don't have any useful suggestions.

Jenny

Ellie F
08-09-2012, 02:32 AM
Hi Delaney
Hang on in there until you know for sure. It does sound more like a spread of the infection and/or a reaction to the antibiotics.
In January I was hospitalised due to a similar infection. I woke up to find a red rash all over my chest. Turns out to be a severe allergy.
Please let us know how you go.
Ellie

Forgot to add that I'm so glad T-DM1 is on its way to Ireland as we only have trials here.

Redwolf8812
08-09-2012, 05:03 AM
Betcha it's an infection. Keep us posted. Prayer going up....

- Penny

NEDenise
08-09-2012, 05:15 AM
Helen,
Hang in there. I'm no doctor...don't even play one on TV...but this sounds much more like an infection, or allergy, than like mets. Take a deep breath...be kind to yourself...and definitely, be the "squeaky wheel" until you get some relief.
Even a minor infection can get serious quickly when we're already fighting the beast.
Hoping and praying for quick relief from the worry, and the problem itself!
Sending a gentle hug your way...
Denise

tricia keegan
08-09-2012, 05:46 AM
Helen I agree its more likely the port infection has spread and will be thinking of you.

'lizbeth
08-09-2012, 06:36 AM
I had cellulitis that started at my drain site. I felt great at 7am, by 9am I didn't feel good and my entire breast was a light pink. By 11am I had a 102 fever and the breast was bright red.

By 2pm I was admitted to the hospital and given and infusion of 3 different IV antibiotics twice daily for 5 days. I'm Lucky to still be here.

What does your medical team say? I don't want it to be skin mets either - I hope you get better news soon.

'lizbeth
08-09-2012, 06:42 AM
Oh, I forgot to mention from the cancer experience I discovered I'm allergic to almost every antibiotic out there. Rashes, swelling, etc. Maybe it is partly the antibiotic as well. I hope you find out what's going on soon, and it is very treatable.

Let us know!

snolan
08-09-2012, 06:56 AM
Sounds like an infection, they may delay your chemo start until it clears since it is harder for your body to fight infection once on chemo. I had an infection after my mast and tried to fight it throughout chemo but ended up having to remove my expander and it cleared up. Good luck.

yanyan
08-09-2012, 10:18 AM
Hi Delaney ! I don't think skin mets can spread all over in one night. I hope it is just an infection like other sisters suggested. Skin mets are hard to treat, although they are not life threatening. My oncologist warned me of this. Thinking of you and sending you positive thoughts !

KDR
08-09-2012, 04:44 PM
Hi, Delaney,
I had an allergic reaction to an antibiotic recently and the rash spread everywhere. I saw the dermatologist at my facility and he prescribed Clobex. It worked so well. It is a fast-drying spray. Wondering if that might help you. Don't think the worst.
Karen

Mtngrl
08-09-2012, 07:05 PM
Hang in there!

Laurel
08-10-2012, 05:52 PM
Helen, how are you doing? We are here for you.

NEDenise
08-16-2012, 04:56 AM
Helen,
Thinking of you!
How are you feeling?
Denise

Delaney
08-25-2012, 06:49 AM
Thank you all for your replies (and top marks to everyone who was correct - it was an infection. I am in the hospital for almost 3 weeks, being treated with aggressive anit biotics via iv. I am allowed out in the afternoons for 'healthy air' and its lovely. So I took a look at the message page today to catch up. I will get a new port in on Monday and come home Tuesday. Hopefully I never have to be admitted again.

'lizbeth
08-25-2012, 08:05 AM
That is what is so great about this site. Usually someone has had a similar experience - so when the stuff hits the fan, we can benefit from their experience.

I'm sorry you had such a nasty infection. On the other hand, remember the folks who went in remission because they were sick with a high fever? You might have inadvertently kicked some cancer cell's butts!!! That is a nice thought. :)

NEDenise
08-25-2012, 08:16 AM
Oh my!!
So glad to hear from you! And even more happy to hear that you are on the mend!

Enjoy that healthy air my friend!
Denise

yanyan
08-25-2012, 08:20 AM
What a relief to hear its just an infection!! Thanks for the update and I hope you will get better soon!