PDA

View Full Version : Adding Carboplatin to Perjeta and Herceptin

Sheila
08-04-2012, 10:36 AM
Tomorrow, I will be getting Carboplatin to my Perjeta and Herceptin as I continue to progress without a chemo, and since I progressed on Taxotere recently, Carbo is the drug of choice, and one of the few I have not had.

It has been a rough week as I am now having a problem using or lifting my left arm due to nerve involvement. The pain has been severe in my neck, arm, shoulder. Imhave spent the past week unable to do much of anything. I was taking Tramadol for the pain with no relief. I am now on Lyrica for the nerve pain and Tylenol with Codiene ever 4 hours for pain. This is the first time I truly feel like a cancer Patient in ten years....the pain and inability to do things has really been a rude awakening. I will start the new regimen Monday...praying I get a response. I will say the Lyrica is making the nerve pain more bearable. trying to remain strong and positive....I am getting so much beauty sleep I should look 10 years younger.

rhondalea
08-04-2012, 10:57 AM
I am so sorry that you're in pain. I've never had any luck with Tramadol, and Tylenol 3 isn't much better. Like tamoxifen, they are metabolized by CYP2D6 (for which I am an intermediate metabolizer, and it may be that you are too). I'm glad the Lyrica is helping, but I hope your doctor can find a better pain reliever for you.

Of course, what I really hope is that the addition of carboplatin will kick the cancer into oblivion so you don't need any pain medicine at all.

Jackie07
08-04-2012, 01:31 PM
Sheila,

The abstract below sounds very encouraging:

Anticancer Agents Med Chem. (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22583420#) 2012 May 2. [Epub ahead of print]
Platinum Compounds: A Hope for Future Cancer Chemotherapy.

Ali I (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?term=Ali%20I%5BAuthor%5D&cauthor=true&cauthor_uid=22583420), Wani WA (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?term=Wani%20WA%5BAuthor%5D&cauthor=true&cauthor_uid=22583420), Saleem K (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?term=Saleem%20K%5BAuthor%5D&cauthor=true&cauthor_uid=22583420), Haque A (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?term=Haque%20A%5BAuthor%5D&cauthor=true&cauthor_uid=22583420).
Source

Department of Chemistry, Jamia Millia Islamia (Central University), New Delhi-110025, INDIA. drimran_ali@yahoo.com.

Abstract

The discovery of cis-platin and its second and third generation analogues created a hope in cancer chemotherapy. Cis-platin and its second generation analogue carboplatin have been used for the treatment of some cancers. The third generation analogues have superior anti-cancer profiles for curing a few cancers.

Unfortunately, certain side effects such as renal impairment, neurotoxicity and ototoxicity etc. are associated with these drugs. But, combination therapy makes these analogues more effective with fewer side effects. In addition, the results of some ongoing clinical trials will make the safety profile clear in near future.

The present article describes the current status of cis-platin and its analogues in cancer chemotherapy. The special emphasis has been made on cis-platin discovery, development of second (carboplatin, oxaliplatin, nedaplatin) and third (lobaplatin, heptalatin) generation analogues, comparison of their chemotherapies, mechanism of action, therapeutic status, recent developments and chronology.

Moreover, attempts have been made to describe the future perspectives of these drugs in the cancer treatment.

chrisy
08-04-2012, 02:09 PM
Sheila,
Sorry you are having such a rough time. Carboplatin is a good chemo, I had it with taxol/herceptin in 2004. I hope it will be a rude shock to that cancer!

Hang in there my friend.

KDR
08-04-2012, 02:30 PM
Sheila,
Wishing that this new addition will get you into optimum shape and that you are back to yourself soonest.
Warmly,
Karen

Andrea Barnett Budin
08-04-2012, 02:37 PM
Dear Sheila,

You are a shero for sure. Your avatar reads like a novel. But you are so strong and brave and determined, I always think of you in uber laudatory terms! Plus through it allllllllllllllllllll -- you have that quick sense of humor that never fails to make me smile. Thank you for all you do and give of yourself, my Sister!

My husband is having major nerve pain (from his eye to his thigh) and they have him on Neurontin (Gabapentin). He takes 300 mg and it is mildly helping. He can't really handle a higher dosage, but it is a drug that can be given up to 1800 mg. You might be a good candidate for that. I pray you get some relief. Please ask your doctor.

I am over here in your corner, rooting for you and sending you loving, healing energy, my Friend!

Big gentle hugs,

Andi

NEDenise
08-04-2012, 09:19 PM
Sheila,
I'm so sorry you are in so much pain! I'll be praying extra fervently that the docs have come up with just the right combo to kick this cancer's ass!

I saw in Andi's post that she mentioned Neurontin. I took that for neuropathy, and my mom took it for nerve pain in her legs when her cancer started to effect her legs. Neither one of us had any side effects...but it did help with the pain. Maybe something to hold in reserve...in case Lyrica needs some help.

Hoping to read about your pain relief soon...and a return to the wonderful, beautiful, happy Sheila we all love so much!

Denise

ElaineM
08-04-2012, 10:09 PM
I am so sorry about the pain.
I hope the addition of Carboplatin will help.
Hang in there Sheila. Please know we are all thinking of you and hoping you are feeling better soon.
Special vibes are coming to you from the middle of the Pacific Ocean. I have my fingers crossed for you as I type. Hopefully I am not making mistakes by doing that.
It would be nice if you can read this post.

Redwolf8812
08-05-2012, 04:24 AM
Sheila, I'm on carboplatin also. The oncologist put me on Vitamin B6 for neuropathy and it made a world of difference.

Prayer going up for you.

- Penny

Mary Anne in TX
08-05-2012, 09:11 AM
Hi Sheila! the carboplatin surely worked for me. It's what finally started the tumor marker numbers to really go down. Cheering for you every day!

Paty
08-05-2012, 11:06 AM
Sheila,

Tinking of you and sending you good wishes with the new drug. I am so sorry you are not feeling that well, but there has to be a drug for that pain. Love you Sheila, you are my hero!! Hugs, hugs, hugs!

Paty

NEDenise
08-16-2012, 05:03 AM
Hi Sheila,
Thinking of you this morning and sending tons of prayers, love and positive, healing energy your way!

Close your eyes, my friend, and feel it all wash over you!
Love,
Denise

Mtngrl
08-16-2012, 07:16 AM
Dear Sheila,

So sorry you're disabled, in pain, and experiencing progression. I pray that the new regimen is your ticket out.

I love you.

Andrea Barnett Budin
08-16-2012, 08:33 AM
Dearest Sheila,

Always always always thinking of you. You are one of the most remarkable women I've ever had the pleasure to know. (Even if it is a cyberspace love affair...)

My husband is diabetic and having major nerve issues (eye and thigh, ulna). The doc has recommended just what I've been pleading with him to take. He's not a supplement person. But since the endocrin lady told him, he's added some.

B12 (helps energy as well as nerve repair) and B6. Also Alpha Lipoic Acid (600 mg), L-Carnitine 500 x 2 and Co-enzyme Q-10 -- 150 X 2.

I pray these will help you get some relief. And, of course, that your new recipe will be effective and kick canser's butt!

Much love, as always, always, always,

Andi

Lani
08-16-2012, 10:59 AM
not saying it will help, but doubt it could hurt:

have you ever tried TENS--transcutaneous electronic nerve stimulation

Non invasive, it uses gel pad electrodes attached by wires to a machine smaller than a transistor radio
(really dating mysel!!!)

It works on the prinicipal that if you place the ekectrodes between the pain and the brain that it will interfere with the gating mechanism of incoming pain messages to the spinal cord and brain.

It sort of mildly tickles the nerve above where the pain is and works similarly to biting your finger when you stub your toe. The brain doesn't seem to be able to process two pain messages coming at the same time, so by biting your finger your toe pain seems less.

I knew a breast cancer patient who tried this 20 years ago, long before bisphosphonates were used, for pain from multiple mets in her thighs and pelvis and it seemed to help her.

Was it the placebo effect? Maybe. Was it coincidence? Perhaps. The devices are usually free to try from physical therapists, may be available to rent rather than buy and have come way down in price over the years as I understand it.

Perhaps asking your doctor for a referral to a pain doctor early on before things get out of hand would be useful---or at least ask if your doctor thinks this might be worth a try on the theory that there is no reason it should hurt.(you don't put it over the site of the pain but proximal to it so no strong electric fields near the tumor (it only uses pocket batteries anyway)and nothing is invasive, just skin pads with gel.) and it might possibly help.

As you know I ALMOST never make suggestions(I am not qualified to do so), just post info. Don't know if my suggestion is pertinent or advisable, but from what I have read and heard, it is unlikely it could hurt.

Best of luck

Andrea Barnett Budin
08-16-2012, 12:00 PM
In '01 I fell in a pothole and broke my ankle in 3 places, tore tendons and muscle and required surgery. After the 3 mnths of terrible pain they removed the cast and I was allowed to go for physical therapy. I did so 3 days a wk for mnths.

After phys therapy they put ice on the ankle and then the TENS machine. It vibrated little tiny tickles and after a while it lessened, so I asked them to turn the machine up. They did. And it was great for a while, but I needed to crank it up again. And again and again. They finally moved the machine next to me so I could do it myself.

I swear it's electronic nerve stimulation helped me heal and lessened the severe pain. I love that machine. And would recommend it to everyone! It was miraculous in helping me heal and experience far less pain.

Laurel
08-16-2012, 07:26 PM
Sheila,

I was off the boards for a time and missed your update. I am so sorry to hear you are suffering and will pray you find relief and that the Carboplatin is a wonder drug for you. I know you are not one to complain so my guess is this nerve pain has you pretty low. Prayers coming your way. Hang in there and please update when you are up to it. Love to you!

mmoons
08-16-2012, 07:56 PM
Sheila-

I too was off the internet for a while, but immediately clicked on the post from you...and was so sad to hear of your pain.

I hope you feel all the love and support coming you way from all of us, Sheila. Please let us know how you feel - when you are up to it.

Love, love, love you and pray you feel better. I will eagerly watch for the post that the next cocktail has kicked this stupid beast far into oblivion.

XOXOXO

Maureen

Pray
08-16-2012, 09:04 PM
Dearest Sheila,

I too am hoping and praying this new treatment for you works! My heart aches knowing you are in pain. Gods blessings to you Wonderful women. I hope we hear some good news from you soon. Peace my friend, Nancy

ammebarb
08-17-2012, 07:36 AM
I am also thinking about you and praying that you are getting some relief from pain and a good response to the carboplatin. Gentle hugs, dear Sheila.

Barb A.

Sheila
08-17-2012, 10:27 AM
Sorry I have been MIA for a couple weeks...I had scans and a cardiologist appt Tuesday...the scans are a staging scan more or less, then we will see how the Carbo does on these nasty mets. I am still struggling a bit, but down to 1 pain pill a day at night, the Lyrica has been a godsend. I also was having a hard time moving my left arm probably due to brachial plexus nerve involvement again. Anyway, it is slightly better...still having a hard time even getting dressed which is a pain! Also, unable to tie my scarfs on my scraggly haired head, and I have learned quickly that this is not a job for my husband....needless to say, my sister who is a whiz at the scarves, lives an hour away, so I have learned to embrace my baldness and run with it! Funny thing, I got a lot more doores opened and smiles than usual with my new bald look.

Wishing the lesions on my left breast would quit draining....they dont hurt but look awful....I am still wondering if by chance they could be shingles, since I had the vaccine right before they appeared. They just dont look like the breast cancer lesions I have had on my neck ind that are on the back of my neck.

Lani, I did actually try the TENS unit...since I own one from a back pain thing I was having...it did not bring me relief...I do remember using a TENs on post surgicals whio could not take pain meds years ago and it worked well. As far as some recommending Neurontin, i was on that before without much relief.

So, in the long run, I have only seen a slight increase in resolution of the areas on my neck and really no change on the left breast...which I am still unsure of it being cancerous...especially since the outbreak and lesions follow the exact pattern on my bra and bra strap...maybe my doc will cave in and biopsy it!

The quick read on the scan showed some shrinkage and some growth...especially in the right axilla which is the opposite side of my mastectomy. I notice that the lump on the right side of my neck has decreased so i am hoping the Carbo/Perjeta/Herceptin will be a WINNER!!!! Hoping the right arm starts moving better as they do not want be driving do to lack of mobility...and that is truly taking the wind out of my sails....so, taking one day at a time and praying for the best

Thank you all for your concern , love and support...you are my rocks!

lkc Gumby
08-17-2012, 11:14 AM
Dear Sheila,
I don't post very often, but am always touched by your tenacity , spirit and wonderful attitude. It is difficult to be in pain. I think all the above recomendations are good ones. You know as a nurse, you should not have to experience pain. Please tell your Docs to find a solution for you.
and good luck with the Carbo. It sounds like a great combo you're getting .

Mary Anne in TX
08-17-2012, 11:14 AM
Big hugs and lots of love to ya, Sheila. ma

yanyan
08-17-2012, 02:53 PM
Dear Sheila, thank you for the update ! Hang in there !! I am praying that you would resume your engery and health very soon !

NEDenise
08-17-2012, 03:11 PM
Sending tons of love! Loads of prayers!
And a gentle cyber-hug.

Glad the Lyrica is helping...but still anxious to hear even more good things for you soon. Go perjeta/carbo/vitamin H!!!

Love you, Sheila!
Denise

KristinSchwick
08-17-2012, 06:20 PM
Sheila,
I want to throw my support out there too! You have such an amazing spirit and I pray that you can hang in there through the pain until the carbo kicks in. I was on carbo for 3 cycles and had no problems with it. God speed.

SoCalGal
08-20-2012, 06:36 PM
Gosh Sheila, so sorry to hear of your struggles...hoping that you turn the corner very soon and the trio combo smashes some mets! Big hugs...Flori

Mtngrl
08-21-2012, 09:15 PM
Sheila,

You are one of my heroes. Thanks for checking in.

Love,

KsGal
08-22-2012, 01:24 AM
Sheila..I had been MIA for a bit and didn't see this thread before, but I am sure sending you lots of prayers and positive energy. You are such an inspiration to everyone, and I am constantly in awe of your positive attitude and strength. Hoping this will be your miracle combination!!!

Sheila
08-22-2012, 07:01 AM
Thank you all for all the encouragement, I am feeling stronger each day....hoping my arm will start to co operate....I see the Onc. Next week and hoping to get round 2 of the Carbo with the Perjeta and Herceptin.....you all are MY ROCKS!!!!!!

NEDenise
08-22-2012, 07:13 AM
Sheila,
We are YOUR rocks!?? Really? .

I think you might have that switched up a little bit, my friend! I check in here every single day, to see how YOU are.
Your unrelenting fight...
your refusal to give in...
your concern for others, no matter how you're feeling...
your sense of humor...
your offer of prayers, and support...
your real world wisdom...

Sheesh! I could go on and on! YOU are the rock, my dear! A diamond, in fact!

Hoping and praying for that stubborn arm to get back in gear. You NEED to get behind the wheel of that car again!
Gentle hugs, prayers, and love, flowing out to you!
Denise

karen z
08-22-2012, 10:30 AM
Sheila,
Glad you have started the carboplatin and sorry to hear you have not felt well. I am thinking of you and sending best wishes for some relief.
Karen Z

Mtngrl
08-23-2012, 07:48 AM
I second what Denise said. Sheila, you are a blessing to so many people.

caya
08-23-2012, 05:31 PM
Sending good wishes your way Sheila dear!
Keep up the good fight, you are one brave Warrior Woman!

all the best
caya

DeenaH
08-23-2012, 08:38 PM
Some shrinkage is good!! I'm hoping you get even more shrinkage by your next scan. How often are the scanning you? I think about you all the time. Hang in there!

Mandamoo
08-24-2012, 08:08 AM
You are an amazing woman and inspiration to all of us. I too hope your pain eases soon.

Pray
08-25-2012, 05:03 PM
I also pray your pain subsides. Gods blessings Sheila.

Jean
08-30-2012, 01:42 PM
Dear Sheila,
I have been MIA due to personal family responsibilities.
I am sorry you have been in pain...for you to mention that you are in pain it must be high level....as you are such a strong fighter.

I am praying that your next treatment will bring the results we all want for you. I am glad that you are able to rest - that will help bring back your strength as pain is so draining.

Thinking of you and sending you a huge hug.
Jean

KsGal
09-01-2012, 01:44 AM
Dear Sheila..I hope you are feeling better today. Thinking of you this morning and praying for you.

NEDenise
09-01-2012, 09:06 AM
Sheila,
Thinking of you too...sending love and prayers. :)
Denise

jml
09-03-2012, 05:58 AM
Sheila~
Oh I hope you're feeling better, the carbo has kicked in & the cancer is taking a beating.
I've been off the boards for the past few weeks and missed your post. I'm so sorry for your pain & discomfort and hope they're able to find something for you to get in undercontrol.
Come on PCH- GET TO WORK!

Keep the Faith~

Jml

Mary Jo
09-03-2012, 10:28 AM
Hi Sheila.....praying for your today. Peace and healing.

Love to you my her2 sister.....

Mary Jo