PDA

View Full Version : Mammagrams for stage 4 women?

Pamelamary
08-03-2012, 05:19 PM
Hi everybody,
I would appreciate some feedback on the medical establishment's attitude to mammograms for stage 4 women.
I was rediagnosed in February this year and my treating hospital has automatically churned out appointments for what should have been my routine 8 year mammogram and surgical review.
When I last saw my oncologist, I think I was told not to bother - distracted by other things, I didn't follow up at the time.
Does this mean the now routine CT scans, etc, would show up any problems? Or don't new breast tumours in advanced women get treated? Or what?
I would be interested in what happens in Australia and elsewhere.
Regards..... Pam

Sheila
08-04-2012, 10:21 AM
I no longer get mammograms....my oncologist said I don't need them....don't know why, maybe because I have so many other scans and tests

Bunty
08-07-2012, 04:56 AM
Hi Pamelamary,

I remember a couple of months after my lung mets diagnosis in October 07, I asked my onc would I have my annual mammogram/ultrasound. I'll never forget his answer, which was "that's the least of your worries, and no point" which of course I totally get now. However, about a year after finishing the 8 months of chemo for the lung mets, and everything staying stable he said it was probably a good idea to start having them again, as he said it would be a real shame (!) to get another primary BC! After the liver met presented last June 2011 I haven't had a mammo, but perhaps now that there is no active cancer anymore (recent PET/CT shows remission), he will recommence.

As you can see I am in Australia, but I'm not sure there is a protocol for Stage IV.

Best wishes
Marie