PDA

View Full Version : Does your chemo nurse let you see the bag before she/he hangs it?

7andcounting
07-20-2012, 08:09 PM
Just wondering how many of you have your drug shown to you BEFORE it is hung on the pole. Where I used to have chemo they would always show me the bag first.

Where I go now, they never do, and even when I ask, they never remember so I feel like I am a pest always asking. I feel it is just a courtesy for me to see what they are sticking into my body. I'm sure the person giving the meds thinks I am wrong for asking b/c it shows that I don't trust them.

What do you all think?

Margaret Eleanor
07-20-2012, 10:20 PM
I think you are smart to check the bag before getting infused. I always asked to see the bag before I was infused. I even had a preference for the sequence of drugs. Taxol left a nasty taste in my mouth, so I never wanted it last. I'm sure I made more than one nurse mad, but bottom line, it's MY body that the toxin was being put into.

Sheila
07-21-2012, 06:32 AM
my nurse always has another nurse peer check what she is giving me, reads the name out loud and the dose and infusion time and also reads my name, birthdate and hospital number off the bag...never hurts to look at the bag, mistakes have been made! as far as the order the drugs are given, sometimes, they are ordered to be given in a certain sequence by Pharmacy or the Dr.

Andrea Barnett Budin
07-21-2012, 08:23 AM
Yes, Sheila! Same. Exactly. And on the odd occasion I had to ask and apologized for being a pest, I was ALWAYS told, No, you're not being a pest. You're smart. That's what you have to do.

So 7andcounting -- you are a smart cookie. We must all be proactive, vigilant, on top of EVERYTHING. No one cares about you more than YOU. And it is the wise way to navigate in this world.

People are human. And humans make errors. You don't want to be on the wrong end of a mishap.

There was another Andrea in my chemo room, I noted on the sign in sheet (before they taped over her name). Then, I became uber diligent. It is rare that there's another with my first name. And I had no idea what chemo she was in for. I did know what I was in for...

YOU ARE NEVER A PEST! You're a wise consumer. What every patient aspires to be...

Andi

hutchibk
07-21-2012, 08:38 AM
Never had to ask... they have ALWAYS checked w/ 1. the pharmacy, 2. each other and 3. w/ me to verify name and birthdate.

NEDenise
07-21-2012, 08:39 AM
7!
I agree with Andi and Sheila 100%!!
Keep asking!
Denise

Yorkiegirl
07-21-2012, 04:37 PM
I was always shown my bag's and had to verify the personnal information on it and they also showed me the name of drug being infused and how much was being given.

So, yes ask to see the bag.

suzan w
07-21-2012, 08:26 PM
I was always shown the bags. They would read my name, and what was in the bag. In my case, I had A/C and it used to come fresh from the "kitchen", they would not mix it up til I sat in the chair. And everything else I ever had was checked and double checked, and I watched!!!

pibikay
07-22-2012, 07:31 AM
Yes The Chmo nurses in Apollo Speciality hospital show the infusion. WE (or rather I ) buy the medicines from the hospital pharmacy attached to the Chemo part and give it to the nurse.She shows the same before she mixes it into the pouch

'lizbeth
07-22-2012, 07:44 AM
They always checked with me before each infusion with name, identifying information the drug and the dose.

It is a great idea and I would confirm before each infusion. My first oncologist thought it would be fine to switch taxanes before discussing it with me before my first infusion.

I had a cow. I had no way to read up on the treatment before receiving it and had no idea of the differences between the two. It was very upsetting as I had no way to check on it at the hospital.

I was very happy to switch doctors, but I'm pretty sure I got the difficult patient note on my records after that.

7andcounting
07-24-2012, 09:24 PM
Thanks to everyone for posting. Yes, it is never fun feeling like a pest, but nice to know I'm not the only one that thinks this is important.

Kellennea
07-25-2012, 11:58 AM
I not only saw it, but had to spell my last name & give my birth date to my chemo nurse in front of another nurse.

chemteach
07-26-2012, 04:57 AM
My people at JACC in Lubbock, TX always showed me every bag, checked my armband, and then asked me my name and birthdate before any infusion. I assumed that to be routine practice at any cancer center for patient safety and for the center's safety.

snolan
07-26-2012, 09:43 AM
I was always shown the bag. For most facillities that is a saftey policy helps show JACHO compliance for drug saftey.

BonnieR
07-26-2012, 10:43 AM
I think we should always be vigilant about our care. When I was first given Neulesta I asked to read the literature. It stated clearly that it is to be given 24 hours AFTER chemo. The nurse was preparing to give it to me immediatly, in the chemo room. I pointed out the literature and she insisted it meant to be given in the first 24 hours. I called over the nurse practictioner for support. She hedged and said that they sometimes give it the same day if a patient has to travel a long distance. Well, I live in walking distance of the hospital! And no one asked where I lived. I am certain that it was that nurses' routine practice to give the shot the same day. she is a veteran nurse and has worked there for years. How many shots has she given incorrectly? What else does she get wrong?? She begrudgingly agreed for me to come back the next day, but acted as though I was being a diva.
I spent my last 5 years being vigilant. It is exhausting sometimes.
Keep the faith.
ETA: It was because of THIS board that I got suspicious about the timing of the injection. I remembered reading abut the day after shot here.

KDR
07-26-2012, 11:08 AM
Our facility cross-checks any medicine being infused in a patient. It's good to know what you "should" hear: your name, date of birth, patient ID number, and, for example, "T-DM1, 2.4 kg per ml over 30 minutes." They check each other, you check them.
Karen

CoolBreeze
07-26-2012, 12:13 PM
They don't show me what's in the bag. But, with Abraxane, due to the color, it's pretty obvious. I guess I've been going there for so long and had the same nurse for over 2 year so there is trust between us. I go in my doctor's office, maybe it's less formal. At first, they always told me what they were doing but now....I'm one of the regulars. :) I hear them doing it with newbies though, and I'm sure if I asked they would.

I always get my bloodwork though, they have only forgotten that once.

Oh and Bonnie you were right to stick up for youself. Neulasta is 24 hours from chemo, I'm shocked a chemo nurse didn't know that automatically. Mine all know, and when I give it to myself, they all warn me I had to wait 24 hours.

NanaJoni
07-26-2012, 12:30 PM
Bonnie's right about the word "vigilance". We have a situation here in my home town - two oncologists were buying Avastin from a supplier in Montana who was selling it $400 cheaper per vial. Turns out the guy in Montana was getting the stuff from another guy in Cairo, Egypt - not Illinois -and it was counterfeit. Yup - just saline and some other useless stuff. The labels were in foreign languages and the lot numbers were fake. Sadly a lot of people will never know if they got this junk or not. Apparently with many of the infusion drugs, the drug itself is added to a bag of saline in the clinic's pharmacy and then brought to the patient. Still can't be too careful and we need to check that we are getting the right bag. The FDA is investigating 85 doctors across the US about this fraud and it may get worse. And, no, the doctors weren't passing the savings along to the patients - just getting more in profit.

chrisy
07-26-2012, 08:19 PM
Yes, I like to bless it.

Ellie F
07-27-2012, 03:37 AM
I am always asked to confirm name, address and dob here in England. I also read the label on the bag myself and then repeat to the nurse that I'm here for herceptin.
Mistakes do happen especially when it's busy and staff are hurried, I've seen it myself.
Totally agree with Bonnie about it being exhausting but don't think you can get round that.
Ellie

Andrea Barnett Budin
07-27-2012, 09:14 AM
I confirm. The nurse confirms with me. Asks another nurse to come and they verify my name, birth date, the chemo and the dosage.

We must reiterate everything with docs and nurses, every single one of them, every single time. I have caught huge mistakes for friends who relate info. Saved a few lives! Seriously. They called to thank me...

Chrisy, blessing the medication is brilliant! Wonder how I forgot to do that before. Always knew you were genius.

XXXOOO,
Andi

Rolepaul
07-27-2012, 09:36 AM
It is required by procedure in many places. It is how Nina was taught in 2008 while going through Nursing school. If the patient is unconscious, you cannot ask, otherwise you must. If they don't ask why not. You must protect yourself if you can. "I'm Sorry" does not make it any more. Nina was very busy with patients and was at risk of mistakes when she started working. Now she is on the other side of the handrail and she realizes the importance.

KDR
07-27-2012, 12:21 PM
I kiss the CEA tests before they are sent down!

XOXO
Karen

Karen

Andrea Barnett Budin
07-27-2012, 01:44 PM
Whenever my nurse called with CT scan results I would wait with baited breath. I found myself saying, every time, I love you. Bless you...

(This was every 8 wks for over a yr, then ev 3 mnths, then ev 4, then ev 6...) Now I am annual. I still react the same. Thrilling to hear -- STABLE. NOTHING HAS CHANGED.

I look up every day and say, Thank you for my life! I do this several times a day. Every day.

Mary Jo
07-27-2012, 07:20 PM
Yep same with me. The nurse always had another nurse check to see that I was being given the right drug and then I was asked for name and birthdate. Smart.