PDA

View Full Version : Lymphocele?

MJsHusband
06-23-2012, 10:20 AM
(reposting from another thread)

MJ had a CT scan this morning and they found a 3 x 2 inch cyst. It was in the location of the pain she has been having just inside her right hip bone area. It "may" be a lymphocele, which is a condition involving lymph fluid build up due to lymph node damage that can occur during a major surgery, such as her hysterectomy. The plan is for her to go in next Friday to have the cyst biopsied to ensure there is no spreading of cancer involved and possibly drained. There were a lot of malignant tumors removed during her hysterectomy, in the uterus, cervix, fallopian tubes and quite a few in lymph nodes so we want to be on the safe side.

Has anyone had a lympocele diagnosis?

Joan M
06-24-2012, 08:25 AM
I never had this condition and really don't know anything about it, but would it be possible to remove the whole cyst rather than just to biopsy it? Why not get rid of it, just in case there is a problem? Or perhaps, removing the cyst would make the condition worse. I don't know, but I would probably ask about removing the whole cyst.

Hopefully, there will not be any problem and the cyst will reveal only lymph.

Joan

MJsHusband
06-24-2012, 09:18 AM
Thanks Joan.
If it's a lymphocele (like I hope), the standard treatment it is to drain it if it is causing pain, which is MJ's case. If no pain, they sometimes let it go away by itself. I've done a little reading about it but have limited knowledge of them.
I believe the plan will be to biopsy it and then drain it if it is a lymphocele. If it is another kind of cyst, I'm sure the plan will be to remove it as well. It's just that we don't know what it is right now. ~Greg

Joan M
06-25-2012, 06:34 AM
Greg,

Thanks for explaining lymphoceles, and, again, I'm hoping it will not cause additional worry once biopsied.

Joan

MJsHusband
06-27-2012, 08:39 AM
Ugh, they can't do the biopsy until next Tuesday. And, they want to do more blood work on Friday. I'm not really sure what other blood testing they need to do for this. The blood test they did last wee showed normal white/red cell counts and normal liver enzymes, etc.. Why now a pre-biopsy blood test? Does anyone have any idea why?

Thanks,
Greg

Vicki revised
06-27-2012, 12:58 PM
Omg--why make you two wait?

Who is doing the biopsy? Her surgeon? Will it be done in a hospital and if so, on an outpatient basis? If MJ's regular medical team is involved I recommend you ask them--I would and have. Since it's MY body and my LIFE I have the right to know whatever I want to and have input if warranted.

We are not the run of the mill patient having a basic procedure with a standard outcome. :(

I've never heard of this condition but it sounds similar to lymphedema.

Hang in there!

MJsHusband
06-27-2012, 01:23 PM
Thanks for the comments Vicki.

Tuesday is the earliest they can get her on the schedule at the hospital. Yes, it will be an outpatient procedure. I just found out the blood test is actually to test for coagulation to ensure there won't be any infections or blood-clotting issues with the biopsy.

I don't think most people experiencing breast cancer have to deal with lymphoceles. It's just because MJ was one of the rare cases with endometrial mets that required a hysterectomy. I've read that renal transplant patients can get those too. I just hope it is a lymphocele at this point.

Greg