PDA

View Full Version : Jackie's Father's Passing

NEDenise
06-15-2012, 07:25 PM
Friends,
I just saw Jackie's thread in the Events and Social Calendar thread. Her beloved father has passed away, at the age of 97.

I don't normally check that forum daily, so I nearly missed the post... In case that's true for any of you, I'm posting here to make sure you all have a chance to express your condolences to our good friend, Jackie.

Denise

Paty
06-15-2012, 08:57 PM
Jackie,

i am so sorry to hear about your dad. I keep you in my prayers and hope that you will soon find confort in God's hands.

Vicki revised
06-15-2012, 10:01 PM
Jackie, I am so sorry for your loss. You are in my prayers.

JennyB
06-15-2012, 11:25 PM
Jackie, very sorry for your loss, Jenny

cienna
06-16-2012, 01:11 AM
Hi Jackie

So sorry for your loss. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers. Take care. Cienna

Ellie F
06-16-2012, 02:10 AM
Jackie
So sorry to hear about the passing of your great dad.Hope you find comfort from your family and friends.
Ellie

BonnieR
06-16-2012, 10:16 AM
Jackie, I always liked seeing your father's photo on your posts. He looked like a noble and strong man who inspired you. Accept my sympathy.
Keep the faith

KDR
06-16-2012, 11:32 AM
Dear Jackie,
Wishing your father a most amazing journey. What an amazing life he has led! His wisdom will live on through you. Yet, I am sorry for the sorrow you will endure with his passing. I can't imagine it.
Love
Karen

Joan M
06-16-2012, 06:55 PM
Jackie,

My deepest sympathy to you and your family over the loss of your father.

Joan

karen z
06-16-2012, 08:50 PM
Jackie,
I was very sorry to hear about the loss of your father.
I am thinking about you.
Karen

chemteach
06-17-2012, 05:38 AM
Jackie, I am saddened by the news. My deepest sympathy. Janet

michka
06-17-2012, 05:48 AM
Jackie my thoughts are with you and your family. I loved his photo. We are never ready to loose the ones we love. Michka

tricia keegan
06-17-2012, 01:32 PM
Jackie my thoughts are with you and my sympathy on the loss of your Father:( xx

Mtngrl
06-17-2012, 01:52 PM
Jackie,

So sorry for your loss. My condolences to you and your family.

nsebesta
06-17-2012, 04:59 PM
Jackie - so sorry for your loss. So glad you got to have him for so long. Prayers coming your way.

caya
06-17-2012, 07:26 PM
Sorry for your loss Jackie. May his memory be a blessing to you and your family.

all the best
caya

KsGal
06-18-2012, 12:18 AM
Jackie...Im so sorry to hear of your fathers passing. (hugs) Im praying for you and your family.

Pray
06-18-2012, 05:02 AM
Jackie, I am so sorry for your loss of your father. 97 yrs. Amazing!

Pray
06-18-2012, 05:04 AM
I would love to hear your father's life story. I'm sure you have many great stories and memories to share!

roz123
06-18-2012, 05:23 PM
i am sorry for your loss...97 is truly amazing

Estelle
06-18-2012, 10:46 PM
Jackie,
I am so sorry to hear of your father's passing. Losing a parent is never easy, even at 97 years! So remember all of the good things you can carry in your heart. I too loved his picture. Deepest sympathy.

Jackie07
06-19-2012, 02:58 AM
Thank you all for the condolences. I wrote a long one about my Father yesterday, but lost it when I was ready to post (forgot to copy/paste/save before posting.) It happens whenever I write a long post. I'll try to post another one soon.

Oldest Brother just sent me a brief biography of Father in Chinese (probably is going to be printed in the program for the funeral.) Below is my English version:

Colonel Tan Mei-shu was born in Yung-shan County, Yunnan Province of China in August, 1915. For generations, the Tan family have been family-centered patriots well respected in their hometown. Colonel Tan joined the Army during World War II while a college-bound student. He graduated from the famed Chinese Army Academy (Huang-Pu 14th) and had been promoted to Company Commander, Battalion Commander, Regiment Commander, and general staff of the Army Headquarter.

He had participated in the India Expedition which led him to IndoChina. He attended the Ceremony of the Japanese surrender in Nanking, then Capital of China. He had also been in the battle field in Northeastern China against the Communist Rebellion in the late 1940's.

For his bravery and oustanding performance, he was awarded many medals including the prestigious Patriot/Diligent award. After his retirement, he taught junior high Chinese Literature and later served as the principal of an elementary school near the front line.

He was frugal and self-disciplined, and had been nominated and given the Model Father Award and the Model Family Award by the Premier of ROC. He went to Heaven at the age of 98*(97) - after a fulfilling life of good fortune and longivity. He will be remembered by all.

故譚美書上校,雲南允永善人.世以忠孝傳家.抗戰方興.投筆從戎.入黃埔14期.歷任連長,營長,團長,陸 總參謀等職.,
參加遠征軍,赴密支那.南京受降.並東北勘亂.獲頒忠勤勳章及各種獎章.退役後赴馬祖任教師,校長.為人自 份奉儉約.
曾獲模範父親,模範家庭,表彰,以,98高壽仙逝.福壽全歸.足堪永誌

* The Chinese have been pro-life since the ancient time. New borns are considered one year old because of the time spent in mothers' wombs. Many people (even my generation) still consult the Farmer's Calendar(Lunar Calendar) when setting important dates such as the funeral.

Jackie07
06-19-2012, 03:50 AM
When I read about how 'calorie restriction' prolongs life in mice experiements, I went 'Ah-ha!' because both Mother and Fahter have/had followed the practice.

Mother became a vegetarian after she had turned 60. It's a common practice for Buddhists to avoid 'killing' living creatures. She dropped 20 lbs and was slim and fit because she also practiced certain traditional exercise/western folk dance... She resumed normal diet after being diagnosed with NHL 14 years ago and will turn 89 late summer.

Father had always been lean and fit. He followed the Chinese 'mandarin' tradition which promotes self-discipline. When he gained weight while trying to quit smoking (eating chocolate as substitute), he abandoned the idea of quitting the habit he had picked up during the War. Instead, he gradually reduced the number of cigarettes and stayed with 4 a day (1 cigarette after each meal and before turning in). I was just told that he had completely quit the smoking habit about 12-15 years ago.

Father does have longivity genes - evidenced by his 7th Uncle who had lived to 99. [7 Uncle was a railroad engineer and was mistreated by the Chinese Communist because he had refused to join the Communist Party (they had hoped he would set a 'good example' for his kinfolks/neighbors/colleague)] He also practiced calorie restriction - following traditional Chinese teachings.

He never indulged himself and always reminded us the harm of 'over-sleeping', 'over-eating', 'over-joyful'... :)

Father had an 'innocent' flair of him - very straight-ward. He did not think 'flattering', 'painting a rosy picture', or 'putting on air' would do anybody any good. He does not believe in 'good-luck' - the 'General' put Father's regiment around the headquarter because Father had been known to be the lucky commander. While the other platoon had lost every soldier but 3 wounded ones in the very first battle (being ambushed when they were stepping off the airplane), the platoon led by Father only had three slightly wounded. No, it's not 'good-luck'. Father knew it, as did his superiors. Father had trained/drilled his soldiers well because he's the type that followed the book, followed his training, and followed good instinct.

And that's what he believed in raising kids. He had always stressed how we needed to be well prepared for life. He believed in hard work! He didn't believe in 'luck' because everything he had had, he had earned it himself!

[My Father-in-law, also a WWII veteran but 9 years younger than Father, has similar notion. It's amazing how much they are alike coming from the opposite sides of the Globe and of totally different cultures... But they both came from a poor region/background; both fought in WWII, both had worked as teacher/principal...]

jml
06-19-2012, 06:37 AM
Oh Jackie~I'm so sorry to hear of your father's passing.
What an amazing 97years he must have lived and what an
honor to have shared his world.
May sadness go quickly, replaced with comfort and happy loving thoughts of your sweet dad.
Keep the Faith~

Jessica

Jackie07
06-19-2012, 07:00 AM
O, forgot to mention:

Father was diagnosed with TB (Tuberculosis) around the time when I was born. Oldest Brother was also a carrier and had lived in a separate apartment for a while. Father had stayed in a rest home for over half a year for treatment. My 'skin test' had always been positive and still have several 'scars' showing on my chest x-rays.

Father also had contracted terrible athelete foot/hand during the war. Some of his fingernails were also infected. The two years he stayed home (before taking the teaching assignment) he used prescription liquid medicine - applying it diligently twice a day. He was able to completely rid of his skin problems!

I think Father's 'rational' approach to life/health problems has influenced me in my fight against the brain tumor (1990, 2001) and breast cancer(2003, 2007). There's simply no 'retreat' for a soldier's daughter!

Sheila
06-19-2012, 11:56 AM
Jackie
I am so sorry to read of your fathers passing....please accept my sympathy, what an amazing life your father must have lived and to be blessed with 97 years....although the loss is so recent, may each day bring you more joy

schoolteacher
06-19-2012, 05:29 PM
Jackie, I am so sorry about your father. You and your family are in my prayers.

I believe that I got my strength and courage from my father, and I am sure that is where you got yours.

Amelia

KDR
06-19-2012, 08:04 PM
Jackie,
Thank you for sharing the captivating details of your father's life. I imagined scenes from Ip Man when you invoked the Ceremony of the Japanese Surrender.
I am going to borrow a little from him and you: There's simply no retreat for a soldier's daughter. I really needed that.
Thank you.
Warmly
Karen

Pam P
06-23-2012, 05:55 AM
Jackie - So sorry to hear the sad news. 97 years - wow.

ammebarb
06-24-2012, 03:55 PM
Sending my most sincere sympathy to you Jackie.

BarbA

Bill
06-25-2012, 05:34 PM
Jackie, I'm sorry to hear of your loss. Your Father seems to have lead a full, well-rounded life. I know he will be missed by many. Please accept my sympathies.