PDA

View Full Version : WBR for Schoolteacher

StephN
06-12-2012, 11:16 AM
Noticed a post at the end of Jessica's One Decade thread, where Schoolteacher mentions the following:

Jessica,

I really needed to see this post today. I found out Thursday I have some brain mets. You have offered me some hope this morning.

There were too many mets to treat any other way than WBR, so Schoolteacher is finishing her treatment this week.

My prayers and best wishes are going her way for success in eradicating those buggers.

michka
06-12-2012, 12:19 PM
Oh no! I hope you are OK Schoolteacher and that the WBR is doing the job. Stay strong, try to tell us how you feel. We love you here. Michka

NEDenise
06-12-2012, 03:23 PM
Sending my prayers and good wishes too...from one teacher to another.

Looking forward to hearing from you soon. Take good care of yourself.
Denise

yanyan
06-12-2012, 04:37 PM
Best wishes to schoolteacher ! It seems quite a few women were struck by brain mets. We should all watch out for it!

Sheila
06-12-2012, 05:56 PM
Thinking of Amelia and hoping the mets will be obliterated and she will recover quickly.....lots of positive thoughts and prayers Amelia!!!

Mandamoo
06-12-2012, 07:50 PM
sending love and healing thoughts.
Amanda

Mtngrl
06-12-2012, 08:16 PM
Steph--You're my shining example of the possibility of beating brain mets. Let's hope Schoolteacher can follow in your footsteps. Love and cyber-hugs to her.

hutchibk
06-12-2012, 10:43 PM
Best wishes to Schoolteacher! It's tough, as Steph and I know! I hope the WBR does it's work and those mets are gone forever...

Ellie F
06-13-2012, 01:26 PM
Hi Amelia
Just wanted you to know that my thoughts are with you.I am so sorry you are having to embark on another round in this fight.Please let us know how you are when you get chance
Hugs
Ellie

jml
06-13-2012, 02:26 PM
Thanks Steph for alerting us about Amelia...

Amelia~ hoping you're managing to maneuver through WBR without too many complications and that the steroids aren't making you feel to weird. That decadron is some powerful stuff, but we weather through it. I hope you're able to rest and give your body the time & space it needs to heal.

Keep the Faith~
Jessica

karen z
06-15-2012, 07:36 PM
Amelia,
My thoughts and prayers are with you.
Karen

schoolteacher
06-16-2012, 04:58 AM
Glad to hear from all of you. I think of all of you every day.

I finished my last WBR yesterday. I tried not to take the decadron, but had to after 3 treatments. I will wean off the medicine the next three weeks. He will check my brain in 2 or 3 months. The radiologist oncologist gave me a good prognosis.

I worked 3 days last week for 3 hours. I will work for 2 more weeks the same schedule. Now, I have to give my body a chance to recover from the radiation. School starts back on August 15th. I would like to teach for one more year.

I don't have a hard copy of my PET from last Friday, but the radiologist oncologist said the Abraxane has worked, and the places in my lungs and neck have gone done. I hope most of them are gone. Nothing in my liver. I have a place at the upper part of my right leg and a place in my lower back. The concern now are the bone mets.

My HER2 level was 195.5 almost 3 or4 weeks ago. No, this is not a typigraphical error. My estrogen level is now down to 34. When one goes up, the other goes down. To bad, a mathematical model can not be developed that helps the doctors to balance these two out.

I hope to get Pertuzumuab next week when I go to infusion to bring the HER2 down. I have been on Abraxane 4 1/2 months.

I am so glad to hear from all of you. If any of you have any suggestions about treatment or what to do for the fatique that is going to follow please let me know.

Amelia

Ceesun
06-16-2012, 07:40 AM
Amelia, Wishing you a speedy and complete recovery. Fondly, Ceesun

Laurel
06-17-2012, 05:42 AM
Amelia,

I do not know how to address the post radiation fatigue you mentioned, but i am sure Brenda or some of the radiated members will chime in. I do know allowing oneself the luxury of rest and being patient with your own body and self goes a long way to restoring your well being.

I am in your corner and praying this WBR has KO'd those nasty mets and this will all be one of those bad memories.

Many thanks to our intrepid Steph for noting your comment and allowing us all the opportunity to support you in your time of trial.

hutchibk
06-17-2012, 09:31 AM
Just FYI, rest for the body/brain is huge. Laurel is right!

StephN
06-17-2012, 12:29 PM
Very glad to log on and see the report from you Amelia! Sounds like the intention of reducing the tumor load with Abraxane was a good idea for you!

Weaning off the decadron will bring on the fatigue as the drug level recedes. It is masking some of that right now, so timing is good for giving yourself a bit of a rest during July and part of August.

Keep doing things that cause you to think and use your brain, the fog of fatigue can make you want to shut down. I found that crosswords and anything to challenge my memory was good therapy.

tricia keegan
06-17-2012, 01:28 PM
I'm late seeing this Amelia but my thoughts are with you! ((((hugs)))

Mary Jo
06-17-2012, 06:11 PM
Hi Amelia....just saw Stephs post for the first time. Imagine my thankfulness when I saw your post late in the thread. I am happy the WBR is over and healing and rest are on your agenda. Prayers for peace and healing Amelia.

Love,

Mary Jo

Pray
06-18-2012, 05:10 AM
Hope you are doing well Amelia! You are in my prayers.

jml
06-19-2012, 06:54 AM
Hi Amelia~

Hope you're feeling well. Weening will help you feel less wacky, but it's a long process, and as Steph says, the fatigue will start to reveal itself. And the fatigue is such that lying down to rest doesn't rejuvenate you.
So I just laid down with The Hunger Games Trilogy and read and read and read.
Time is what you need. Time will heal and restore you~

Jessica

schoolteacher
06-19-2012, 05:24 PM
Thanks for posting, Jessica, Stephanie, and all of you. I did work for three hours this morning. Afterwards, I did an hour of physical therapy my shoulders have been frozen since last November, so I am trying to loosen them up some.

I got home about 3 p.m. and slept for over an hour and a half. I would like to read the Hunger Games, so maybe I will go by the bookstore and get them.

I have not had any decadron in two days.

Amelia

Jackie07
06-19-2012, 06:50 PM
Amelia,

So glad to read your posting. Be sure to rest well. [I did not have WBR, but I do remember the fatigue following three shots of GKRS.]

caya
06-19-2012, 06:56 PM
Get well soon Amelia! Try to relax and rest as much as possible.

all the best
caya

KDR
06-19-2012, 07:53 PM
Amelia,
Best wishes for a speedy recovery!
Karen