PDA

View Full Version : Cancelled brain MRI due to tissue expanders

yanyan
06-12-2012, 09:20 AM
My brain MRI was cancelled today due the tissue expanders i have. As soon as the tech put me in the tube, I felt a strong suction on my expanders. The tech didn't feel comfortable proceeding with the scan. It made sense that they reacted as i remember the plastic surgeon used a magnet to locate the port on those expanders.

Has anyone had similiar problem? It looks like i can't have any MRI as long as those expanders are in. I have expanders in both breasts and one of which will be removed due to local recurrence. Should i proceed with the reconstruction on the non cancerous side and have the implant exchanged? I am still debating if i should go flat on both sides. I did call my doctor if he could prescribe a brain CT instead.

The good thing is i will be on vacation without having to worry about the scan result :)

KristinSchwick
06-12-2012, 12:23 PM
Yanyan,
I had a tissue expander in when my doc ordered a brain MRI, but they cancelled it as soon as they learned of the expander. I went ahead with a CT- and they were satisfied with that.

I remember thinking that they were going way overboard by denying me the MRI, now I know that it could have not been a nice experience.

Later, after my expander got infected and I got nasty cellulitis from it, they removed it and we gave up on reconstruction- in which case I now get my MRIs every 6 months.

No advice on what to do- someday I'd like to be symmetrical again, but I think I will have a future filled with scans so I'm not even thinking about it now.

yanyan
06-12-2012, 01:57 PM
Hi Kristen,
Thanks for your input. How is everything going with you? My onco is going to order a brain CT instead. The tech would have continued if i hadn't told him the funny suction feeling as soon as he put me in the tube. I am glad i did.

KristinSchwick
06-12-2012, 07:18 PM
Yanyan,
I am good! Staying positive and even started jogging again- I figure I'll live long enough to see the benefit.

My brain MRI/CT's have all been fine- but we still get them every 6 months. Is that what your onc does too? Hope your CT goes well.
Kristin

Mandamoo
06-12-2012, 07:43 PM
I was told I couldn't have MRI because of the magnet in the tissue expanders. I haven't had any head scanning and my one said if I wanted it I could have a CT. So far I've decided not to as my current treatment wouldn't change and I have no symptoms.
My surgeon said it was day surgery to have the tissue expander removed if I wanted to so I could have an MRI.
Glad to hear you are doing well Kristin.

Mtngrl
06-12-2012, 07:51 PM
For my first MRI when I filled out the form I said I had had eye surgery to repair a detached retina. They didn't know exactly what material was used for the "scleral buckle," so they x-rayed my eye to determine whether or not it was metal. That made me wonder about the fillings in my teeth! But I've had one other MRI since then.

yanyan
06-13-2012, 10:28 AM
I feel like i have been having heaches,not bad headaches for still not very usual for me. I don't know if i am really having headches or it is just in my mind... you know what i mean :)
Brain scan is not a routine diagnostic procedure unless there are syptoms. but i remember what Paul said in another post that all with 3+ positive nodes should have a brain scan every 6 months. I am hoping i will have a clean scan.