PDA

View Full Version : ever wondered what causes her2 overexpression/amplification?

Lani
05-19-2012, 12:02 AM
they are getting closer to finding out and this might really help find better drugs to stop/prevent her2+ breast cancer

This article shows that a histone (a covering of DNA which can hide the underlying DNA "genes" from being translated/made into proteins) may cover a suppressor of transcription(the reading of the DNA in a way to allow the making of a "negative"** copy which then allows the protein to be made from that -thus allowing gross overactivity of the her2 gene making many, too many, of the her2 receptor (the protein gene product)

Dr. Slamon usually says each cell makes about 2 million of them when a normal cell may have perhaps twenty!

** negative as in a negative of a photograph. the gene is what is photographed, the mRNA is the negative and the protein gene product (here the her2 receptor) is the finished photograph which is the opposite of the negative

J Biol Chem. 2012 May 14. [Epub ahead of print]
The atypical histone macroH2A1.2 interacts with HER-2 in cancer cells.
Li X, Kuang J, Shen Y, Majer MM, Nelson CC, Parsawar K, Heichman KA, Kuwada SK.
Source
U of Hawaii, United States;
Abstract
Since HER-2 has been demonstrated in the nuclei of cancer cells we hypothesized that it might interact with transcription factors that activate ERBB2 transcription. macroHistone 2A1 (H2AFY; mH2A1) was found to interact with HER-2 in cancer cells that overexpress HER-2. Of the two human mH2A1 isoforms, mH2A1.2, but not mH2A1.1, interacted with HER-2 in human cancer cell lines. Overexpression of mH2A1.2, but not mH2A1.1, in cancer cells significantly increased HER-2 expression and tumorigenicity. Inhibition of HER-2 kinase activity diminished mH2A1 expression and mH2A1.2-induced ERBB2 transcription in cancer cells. Chromatin immunoprecipitation of mH2A1.2 in cancer cells stably transfected with mH2A1.2 showed enrichment of mH2A1.2 at the HER-2 promoter suggesting a role for mH2A1.2 in driving HER-2 overexpression. The evolutionarily conserved macro domain of mH2A1.2 was sufficient for the interaction between HER-2 and mH2A1.2, and, for mH2A1.2-induced ERBB2 transcription. Within the macro domain of mH2A1.2, a trinucleotide insertion (-eis) sequence not found in mH2A1.1 was essential for the interaction between HER-2 and mH2A1.2 as well as mH2A1.2-induced HER-2 expression and cell proliferation.
PMID: 22589551

Ellie F
05-19-2012, 02:39 AM
Thanks for the explanation lani. I wish we better understood what makes these changes happen in the first place. Each piece of research seems to fit another piece into this massive jigsaw
Ellie

Jackie07
05-19-2012, 05:20 AM
Can't remember the name (Gonzales?) of the researcher who's treatment method has been controvercial but was granted a clinical trial last year. Didn't he uses something called ...plastone that has something to do with histone?

http://mct.aacrjournals.org/content/8/6/1409.full

Things (news) are getting more excited everyday...

ps. It's the 'Burzynski' Clinic using Antineoplastons to treat brain tumor.

Lani
05-20-2012, 11:38 AM
don't know what you are referring to but there are lots of trials involving HDAC inhibitors aka histone deacetylase inhibitors

Histones are like overcoats covering the DNA when parts of it are acetylated they cause epigenetic changes ie either causing the underlying gene to be read or not read Depending on whether the underlying gene is a regular gene or an oncogene or a tumor suppressor gene, the results can be quite different!

Hope this helps!

KDR
05-20-2012, 12:24 PM
Lani,
I'd like to know more about you. Where do you find these abstracts? Do you have a medical background? You are a mystery to me, and you seem to understand and have an ability to translate these (to me, illegible) findings.
Thank you.
Karen

Joan M
05-21-2012, 08:36 AM
Lani is the Where's Waldo of the HER2 website. And we're Wally Watchers. Bless Lani!!

schoolteacher
05-21-2012, 10:05 AM
Thanks for the article, Lani.

Amelia

tricia keegan
05-25-2012, 01:01 PM
Thanks Lani:)

Laurel
05-25-2012, 06:24 PM
Love the "Where's Waldo" tag, Joan. Lani, that just might have to stick. It suits you, mystery girl!

Lani
05-25-2012, 09:55 PM
A friend of mine prefers the Scarlet Pimpernel as a tag for me.

Just to show how "out of the mainstream" I am, I had to google "where's waldo?"and read the wikipedia on it.

And that is VERY out of the mainstream as Where's waldo is widely published around the world with varying titles:

International editions

In translations of the franchise, Wally has often been given a name in the local language:
Bulgarian – Уоли (Oo-oh-li)
Croatian – Jura
Czech – ValdĂ*k
Danish – Holger
Dutch – Wally
Estonian – Volli
Lithuanian – Valdas Finnish – Vallu
French – Charlie
German – Walter
Hebrew – אפי (Efi)
Hindi – Hetti
Hungarian – Vili Icelandic – Valli
Italian - Wally
Korean – 월리 (Wolli)
Japanese – ウォーリー (Wōrī)
Mandarin Chinese – 威利 (Wēilì)
Norwegian – Willy
Polish - Wally Portuguese – Wally
Russian – Уолли
Spanish - Wally
Swedish – Valle
Turkish - Veli
American English – Waldo

chemteach
05-26-2012, 09:15 PM
What a fine sense of humor!! There's even a Where's Waldo app. Much fun, no thinking, and simple entertainment when the days are tough.

suzan w
05-28-2012, 01:35 PM
a histone...like histamine??? In allergies, histamines cause allergy attacks.