PDA

View Full Version : chest wall mets? scar tissue?

gqmom
05-14-2012, 08:56 AM
I had a left mastectomy almost one year ago. In the area above my scar line near my armpit area where the pectoral muscles are, there are some large soft feeling lumps which are really visible when I lift my arm. I still don't have full range of motion in that arm. My breast surgeon examined me about two months ago and said it just felt fiberous. I am scheduled for a chest wall ultrasound as part of my pre-op tests next week. Now I'm scared that maybe I have chest wall involvement. Does anyone else have this problem?

Jackie07
05-14-2012, 10:11 AM
Hi,

2 years after finishing my treatment for stage IIb recurrence, I went to my surgeon and had the questioned 'lumps' on my chest biopsied. Turned out they were caused by the clips she had put in to mark the site after the original mastectomy. It was rare, according to my surgeon, that they would rise up to simulate lumps on my chest.

I was so sure they were metastases... So I understand how you are feeling right now.

If you click on your name 'gqmom', you can access the postings you've made in chronological order. Check out the list and see how far you've come since your initial diagnosis!

There's an old Chinese saying: "Once you are bitten by a snake, you'll be scared by the sight of a rope for 10 years..." One can never be too careful! Just try not to get ahead of yourself and worry too much.

I'm sending you good vibes.

snolan
05-15-2012, 08:24 AM
Definetly get them checked. If they are fiberous you may benefit from some treatment from a physical therapist to do some soft tissue releases. I too had tightness after my mastectomy and didn't go to a PT and ended up with some capsular tighness that was pinching when I raised my arm. After reconstruction it got worse so I went to a PT and in 3 weeks I was much better. Still working on stretching but pinching is almost gone. She had to do a lot of soft tissue and joint mobilizations. I also had some cording which if you raise your arm and see what looks like tendons popping out of your arm pit that is scaring.

Catherine
05-15-2012, 10:08 PM
Range of motion is very important. I, too, recommend going to a PT and have them help you work out those tight areas. 6 years after surgery, I still have to stretch daily. If I do not...things start tightening up on me. Sorry, I do not know anything about the lumps you are describing. Keep asking questions. All the best to you!