PDA

View Full Version : vagifem?

kristen8594
05-09-2012, 07:31 AM
Hello,
I am wondering if any of you ladies have been prescribed vagifem from your oncologist?
If so, what have your side effects been. My oncologist said it is considered safe after BC her 2/er,pr +.
I am worried and wanted advise from anybody that has considered it or is currently taking it....or took and had to get off it.
Thank you so much!
Kristen

chekmark
05-09-2012, 09:32 AM
I am currently on it, no side effects and it works pretty good. I have only been on it a few months and my oncologist said that there isn't enough estrogen in it to cause harm. Good luck.

kristen8594
05-09-2012, 10:13 AM
Thank you for the reply. Even though my oncol said it would be safe I am worried.
What dosage are you on? Another reason I was concerned about is price. It's very
Expensive. I was also worried about weight gain. I would love for anybody else to chime in.

chekmark
05-16-2012, 05:08 AM
My insurance covers it for me. I pay a 15.00 copay. After the first 2 weeks you only use is 2 times a week so a box will last for several months. I think there is only one strength. I have had some slight weight gain but I lost so much weight from the stress at the beginning of finding out that I had cancer that what I put on was what I had lost and the steroids made me gain a few more pounds but I am still ok. It has worked for me and made things alot better. I was so estrogen deprived that my body quickly absorbed it. My oncologist has prescribed it to alot of her patients and she reports that there have been no issues. Sorry it took me so long to respond this time, I have been out of town. Hope this helps. Good luck.

kristen8594
05-16-2012, 11:22 AM
Thanks for the reply. My insurance covers some but it cost me $50 per month or $150 for a three month. I was hoping to spread the dosage out to last longer but at the same time I didn't know if it would work if I did that. I must confess I am really worried about weight gain. Since you said you had some weight gain that bothers me some. Weight just does not come off like it use to. I have worked out my whole life....I lift and do all kinds of cardio, mostly run....But now that I am 50 and in full menopause the weight is slow to move. In all my research there really isnt another product so I guess I will have to take my chances!
Thanks again,
Kristen

chekmark
05-16-2012, 12:42 PM
I guess I never contributed the weight gain to the Vagifem. I started to gain it back before I started to take it. I am not gaining alot of weight if it is. I was told it was most likely the steroids. I am only about 5 lbs over where I started so I havent been to concerned but will definitely be on the lookout now. It has improved things for me and I am alot more comfortable. It did nothing for the hot flashes unfortunately. Its your decision. You can try it and if it doesnt work or you gain weight then stop taking it, its not something you have to take for your cancer. I wish I had better advise for you. This is just my experience. I wasnt told that the vagifem may cause me to gain weight. Good luck and keep us posted. Darlene

chekmark
05-16-2012, 01:50 PM
I also read recently that too much estrogen or not enough estrogen can cause weight gain. Since vagifem is not taken orally it most likely will not enter the blood stream therefore most likely will not cause weight gain, hope this helps. I do not think my weight gain is from the vagifem. I havent gained any additional weight for weeks, I just havent lost the extra 5 yet. Summer is here and I am alot more active now that surgeries are over so I am confident I will lose it.

SoCalGal
05-26-2012, 10:33 PM
been using for a year plus. no weight gain. 10 mcg twice a week. side effects are slight hot flashes and or a headache if I forget to use it. Main side effect is ability to be a normal woman again!

StephN
05-28-2012, 11:13 AM
Hi ladies -
Did you all start out with one pill a night for 14 days and then cut back to twice a week?

kristen8594
06-14-2012, 01:11 PM
my doctor has me starting out 2 twice weekly, and continue with that. The cost is very expensive $50 per month, but I think it will be worth it. I still havent started it yet!!