PDA

View Full Version : Scan results weren't good

Vicki revised
05-06-2012, 11:06 PM
Scan showed while on Tykerb and Herceptin there has been further progression in my liver. More mets and the older ones have doubled in size. This week I start on Abraxane added to Herceptin for 3 months. I told the dr I was tired of wasting precious time. I've spoken to many women who've had great results with Abraxane and at least no platinum chemo this time.

Chemo worked a miracle last time; I know what I'm in for, and I'm ready to go to war against these mets AND win! I don't care about hair--it grows back, I just want to go into ned and live! Plus, it's hot now and being bald last summer was very comfortable.

My dr is also watching the TDM1 trial and looking for any new trials that may come open for which I qualify for.

I knew I'd been feeling lousy so it wasn't a shock but my family truly expected a miracle again and watching their disappointment is breaking my heart.

pibikay
05-07-2012, 01:47 AM
So sorry to hear Vicki.We will be praying for you

Pray
05-07-2012, 05:15 AM
Vicki, My Heart breaks for you. Your strength and courage just blow me away! Gods blessings to you! Please know that you and your family are in my prayers.Peace my friend,Nancy

Delaney
05-07-2012, 07:30 AM
Vicki,
Tyverb/herceptin worked of for me for a while (but sluggishly according to my Oncologist. I'm now trying herceptin/navelbine. Best of luck with abraxane, I'll probably work my way to that one. Keep us updated.

ElaineM
05-07-2012, 09:56 AM
I am sorry to hear about the progression. I am keeping my fingers crossed that Abraxane will work for you.
Take good care of yourself.

Kmswilson
05-07-2012, 11:12 AM
Sorry to hear progression. I'm in a similar situation. I had mixed results in my liver, some shrunk, some grew, some new. I'm on Tykerb because it breaks to blood brain barrier, and since I have brain mets, that's necessary, but my doc says it hasn't been tested with much other than Xeloda, and they consider the Xeloda a fail (especially since I didn't tolerate it well). So they're trying to figure out what kind of options I even have left. We are going to try Herceptin and Tykerb to see how that does. And I'm going to have a liver biopsy Thursday to see if the new growth has changed from HER2. crossing my fingers and praying hard. My doc is also looking for trials to get me into, especially TDM-1.

yanyan
05-07-2012, 11:26 AM
Dear Vicki, sorry to hear about the scan results were not good! I hope Abraxane and herceptin will work for you and that you will get in the trial ASAP. I am currently on tykerb and xeloda and it is slowly working. Have you talked to your oncologist about tykerb and xeloda combined? It seems quite a few of us here who have progressed on herceptin were given this treatment although results are mixed.

Redwolf8812
05-07-2012, 04:33 PM
Sorry about the bad news, but I like your warrior attitude. You achieved NED before - you'll do it again.

Bunty
05-07-2012, 04:49 PM
Wishing you all the best with the new combo Vicki. Abraxane was added to Herceptin for me for a met to the liver last year, and it worked very well. And the other very important possible benefit is that Abraxane is synergistic with Herceptin, so can often 're-energise' Herceptin. It seems to have worked for me, so far.....
Cheers Marie

chrisy
05-07-2012, 05:15 PM
Sorry to hear you got the news you did. Still it was information you needed to have, and it sounds like you have a good plan for your next step. Sometimes the targeted approach can't quite keep things at bay. Hoping this turns around quickly for you, and il glad your onc is on the lookout for a tdm1 trial.

Suit up, warrior girl!

KsGal
05-12-2012, 02:01 AM
I had been told Abraxane is very effective against liver mets. You are definitely a fighter. Im sorry that you have to deal with this...Im sorry we all do, because it is just awful. I will send lots of prayers your way. ((hugs)) Please keep us all updated on how this regimen works for you!

Rolepaul
05-13-2012, 11:23 AM
My wife's doctor has her on Navelbine and Herceptin for whole body preventative. This might be the next choice if Abraxane does not knock out the liver mets.

Lori R
05-13-2012, 03:57 PM
Vicki,
Just a word of encouragement for Abraxane. It has worked for me twice now. While losing hair requires an emotional adjustment, I did find Abraxane very manageable.

When are you receiving treatment? I received mine on Friday afternoons, was a little fatigued on Friday evening and Saturday. Was ready for work on Monday.

I have had challenges with my fingernails lifting and also sensitivity of my nail beds. Other than that, lived life to the fullest.

I am certain Abraxane will knock out these mets for a long, long time.

Please keep us posted and let me know if you have questions for an Abraxane "two timer"

Lori

Mtngrl
05-13-2012, 04:15 PM
Vicki,

I, too, had good results from Abraxane. I tolerated it much better than Taxol.

I understand your desire to kick this thing to the curb. Go for it. I'm rooting for you.

Jackie07
05-14-2012, 03:59 AM
Vicki,

Looks like Abraxane is a winner...

Sending you good vibes...

Catherine
05-14-2012, 07:28 AM
Hi Alabama girl,

Just want to send my love and support as you get ready for the fight. Your post sounds like you are ready to take the meds and let them do the work. Wishing you and your family all the best as you go thru treatment.

Hugs,

Vicki revised
05-17-2012, 11:56 PM
Thanks for all the encouragement and positive info on Abraxane. I'm having treatments (inc Herceptin) once a week for 3 wks with a week off. Started feeling another UTI/bladder infect yest and sure enough I ran fever today so they drew more blood, took urine, did a chest xray and put me on Leviquin.

While on TCH last summer I got at least 4 kidney stones (and had to have 2 lithotripsies), after 25+ yrs without one. I hope that doesn't start again. The urologist never gave me a straight answer as to whether the chemo was the instigator.

Has anyone else had issues with kidney stones while on chemo?

Also, for you all who've been on Abrax. how long before your hair started coming out?

dawny
05-18-2012, 02:23 AM
Hi Vicki, Abraxane got me to Stage 1V NED within 16 weeks, with Herceptin ongoing. Actually my golf ball sized lump disappeared after the third week. My hair was really falling out at the end of week 5, thats when I buzzed it. Good luck on your new regime. I have a new node lump, will prob have a pet scan, and maybe will go back on Abraxane, just need to figure out the plan!
Best wishes Dawn