PDA

View Full Version : how to get zometa?

Melissa
05-01-2012, 06:31 PM
Hello all,

I have recently been dignosed with osteoporosis and want to take zometa but my oncologist said no since I have no complications with Fasomax. I've been reading about Zometa and would rather take it. Any suggestions?

Thanks...

Becky
05-02-2012, 04:59 AM
Zometa is quick and easy and just every 6 months (although you may get flu like symptoms the first time).

Are your bones improving on Fosamax? If not, you should try something else. If you feel adamant, go see another doctor. If that doctor will give you Zometa, go for it.

Ellie F
05-02-2012, 09:55 AM
Becky is right about another opinion. I have also just been diagnosed with osteoporosis but my onc has agreed to oral bone strengtheners plus calcium and vit d supps to see how it goes as I had very poor dietary calcium intake due to not taking dairy.I also got good dietary advice from here on the board which you can find using the search function.
Ellie

suzan w
05-05-2012, 06:19 AM
seems alot of us are dealing with this...I had great success with daily injections of FORTEO for 2 years (18%increase in bone mass) followed by an infusion of RECLAST (zometa) , and then another infusion a year later. My insurance would not cover most of it however and I had to break the bank (once again) to private pay.

sassy
05-06-2012, 07:32 PM
I would seek a second opinion also. My onc agreed that the morning ritual of Fosamex, plus the gastric discomfort it caused was reason to switch to Zometa.