PDA

View Full Version : Last chance to talk me out of it (?)

KristinSchwick
04-24-2012, 01:22 PM
Ladies,
I just wanted to give you all a chance to talk me out of having my ovaries removed on Thursday. I've gone back and forth for months on what to do. My cancer (bone mets) tucked tail and has run off from the lack of estrogen. Tumor markers are still high, but they've gone into a steady (but slow) decline ever since I started femara and zoladex. Both I, my husband, my father and my oncologist think that having my ovaries removed is the right choice. It will simplify treatment and treatment decisions in the future.

I did not get a chance to harvest eggs- it would have been too risky, and I have one beautiful son- which I am very grateful for. I also have two sisters who have both offered to help with surrogacy/egg donation if it comes to that.

Any last minute considerations out there? Any advice as far as lifting, driving, activity level, etc after the surgery? It will be laproscopic and robotic- taking the tubes and ovaries only. Anyone out there regret having the elective surgery? Thanks for all your wisdom in advance.

snolan
04-24-2012, 01:38 PM
Typically recovery time is around 6 weeks for lifting activities. But walking is always recommended once you feel up for it. Even though it is a simple proceedure you are still having a major organ removed so there will be some discomfort and fatique from the surgery. I think you decision is a smart one, anything you can do to prevent the spread of the cancer is the safest route. The fact that you have your families support and your Dr's also speaks to you doing the right thing. I hope all goes well:)
Suzanne

KristinSchwick
04-24-2012, 02:48 PM
Suzanne,
I just realized that you also had your implant infected and ultimately had to have it removed. Like you I had a mastectomy, reconstruction followed by radiation and then after all that- the darn thing got infected and we tried and tried to save it, but bad cellulitis forced me to have it removed.

How was recon the second time around? I think the radiation and scar tissue from everything has made my chest hard and tender. Its been almost a year since the infection. Was it hard to get a pocket for the implant established after all you've been through. Thanks for your words of wisdom on the surgery. :)

Becky
04-24-2012, 05:00 PM
I had the surgery you are contemplating - having the ovaries and tubes removed. I had it laproscopically too. It felt like I had done 1000 sit ups for a day or two but I heard that it is not as bad as that. I hurt a bit more than usual because I had my second child c-section (but had my third vaginally) and I had alot of scar tissue from that c section and the gynocologist removed that scar tissue - hence, more pain. But it was still a super easy recovery and I don't remember "no heavy lifting" although that might be the case. Your doctor will know.

Since your ovaries are already shutdown because of the Zoladex, and you are taking Femara, you won't feel any different hormonally.

Of course the decision is up to you cuz you can't put the ovaries back again. However, if pain and inconvenience is on your mind, that isn't an issue with this procedure. You will feel funky for a week and then its back to business again.

snolan
04-25-2012, 12:20 PM
Reconstruction has gone well, I did have some fluid accumulation and had to have a drain put in for about 5 weeks then it fell out by itself and I freaked out started to cry. We waited to see what happened and the darn thing healed on its own! I have had to have physical therapy to my shoulder. Being a physical therapist assistant it was hard to accept that I needed help to get through this but my shoulder is responding well and the boobies look great. Get my nipples done on the 18th of May.

Unregistered
04-25-2012, 08:28 PM
Kristin. I had my ovaries out 2 weeks ago and I am today just finishing off packing to move house! My husband had to most of the lifting of children for about 3 - 4 days and then all good. Just a little discomfort and pain but not long lived. I didn't want the risk of having my ovaries still for the rest of my life - which will be long!!
As we areoving my comp is packed and I can't remember either log in or password!!

It's jennyB from Australia.
Good luck with your decision xx

yanyan
04-26-2012, 11:02 AM
Hi Kristen. I guess you are going in for surgery today. I hope everything goes well ! I had one ovary taken out due to chocolate cyst 4 years ago and recovery was easy. Sending you prayers for a fast recovery !

tricia keegan
04-26-2012, 01:10 PM
Hi Kristen and I'm only seeing this now but wanted to tell you I had the same surgery in '06 and have not regretted it, recovery was super fast and it was the easiest op I ever had!

Whonoze
04-26-2012, 10:28 PM
I also had it and am very, very happy I did. Little pain, big gain.

Pmoore
04-27-2012, 01:21 PM
Hi Kirsten,My doctor wants me to have the same surgery,but I keep putting it off.I am currently getting that awful zoladex shot, so painful.Let me know if you decide to do the surgery and how it goes.Pia

KristinSchwick
04-27-2012, 05:58 PM
Thanks everyone for all your encouragement and warm wishes. Surgery was a piece of cake! Pain is super minimal, I took the narcotics for a day, but now am on only high dose ibuprofen. I did go home the same day- so glad I had the surgery. They let me eat within a few hours of surgery, no nausea this time, and the incisions are tiny! Turns out it was not robotic, only laproscopic- the surgeon looked around inside and said everything looked normal and healthy. Did have some weird shoulder pain which resulted from the diaphragm nerve getting irritated by the air they used to inflate my abdomen- but they said that will go away.

So much easier than the mastectomy and reconstruction surgery.

tricia keegan
04-28-2012, 12:42 PM
Glad you found it so able Kristen and glad its all over for you!:)

Mtngrl
04-28-2012, 06:26 PM
Kristin--

I'm so happy that they figured out your cancer is ER+ and that endocrine therapy is helping. That's wonderful for you.

I'm also glad your surgery went well.

Keep up the good work.

NEDenise
04-30-2012, 08:05 AM
Kristen,
So glad to hear things went well! Just another bump in that long, long road you're traveling to old age, right! :)

Take good care of yourself as you heal.
Denise