PDA

View Full Version : Back to Chema

pibikay
04-13-2012, 02:59 AM
Hema developed some pain in her breaston Monday and we had an appointment with the Onc on Wednesday evening.He found that a small lump had formed and he has decided on 4 courses of Chemo starting on the 18th,He ordered Xeloda to be stopped immediately.But to continue with Tykerb.He said that the development was in the initial stages since during his last examination on 28th March it was not there.He ruled out radiation saying that the lump is small and he does not want tohe whole area to be subject to radation.We are praying and our family spiritual guru has sent his blessings

Jackie07
04-13-2012, 04:08 AM
PBK,

Thank you for your update on Hema. Hope the 4 rounds of chemo will do the trick. Sending both of you our love and prayers.

Pray
04-13-2012, 04:44 AM
Hoping and praying for the best for Hema and You!

NEDenise
04-13-2012, 05:17 AM
All the best to both of you! I'll be praying.
Thanks so much for keeping us posted.
Denise

KDR
04-13-2012, 05:50 AM
Pibikay,
Wishing Hema the best possible outcome: ridding herself of this evil little ...
Please, please keep in mind, there are many spectacular treatments on the way, and like my oncologist said once to me, "You've got to hang in there, we are going to get this Stage IV..." I BELIEVE it and I want everyone to BELIEVE it.
Love from America
Karen

caroline96
04-13-2012, 08:53 AM
Please hang in there. Hope this chemo will do the trick.
Keeping you and your family in my thoughts and prayers.

Maria

Ceesun
04-13-2012, 09:32 AM
Prayers for a positive outcome. Ceesun

ElaineM
04-13-2012, 09:51 AM
I am sorry about the new lump just when Hema probably thought she was almost done with treatment. I have my fingers crossed that 4 chemo treatments will help dissolve the lump.
Take good care of yourselves. Peace to you both.

StephN
04-13-2012, 10:15 AM
Oh Dear -
You did not say which chemo Hema will have with Tykerb.

Any way they can biopsy to get a bit of tissue to analyze? It is well known that the cancer will often change its cell biology.

All my best wishes that your guru is powerful.

BonnieR
04-13-2012, 10:56 AM
What a comfort to have a spiritual guru. A real source of strength. We all need one of those. Sending you my good thoughts as well. Keep the faith

KDR
04-13-2012, 01:32 PM
Pibikay,
Just noticed from your signature that Hema stopped Herceptin in 2010. Did she ever resume?
Karen

Sheila
04-14-2012, 06:13 AM
I will be thinking of Hema and hoping the new chemo will take care of these issues....she is a strong fighter.

pibikay
04-15-2012, 05:00 AM
Thank you all.
She had 9 doses of Herceptin and then she was put on Tykerb Xrloda combvination.
The Onc has ordered a blood trest for Monday and based on that result he will decide what is to be used for Chemo

pibikay
04-18-2012, 11:37 PM
Hi Alll
She has been put on Taxol.The infusion went on for nearly 4hrs to day as thr Chemo nurse insisted that she sould like to watch for reactions as this is the st time Hema is on Taxol

fullofbeans
04-19-2012, 02:56 AM
Good luck taxol has proven it's use over and over on this board..hang on relax and let the drug kill the beast

caya
04-19-2012, 05:18 AM
I hope Taxol is the magic bullet for Hema.

all the best
caya

Sheila
04-19-2012, 05:43 AM
Hoping Hema is tolerating Taxol well....I was on it for over a year and did well.....the only real side effect I had was hair loss! Thinking of you both!

schoolteacher
04-19-2012, 06:09 AM
Thinking of you both.

Amelia

KDR
04-19-2012, 06:36 AM
Pibikay,
I had great results with Taxol, and while, I admit it wasn't easy due to the pre-meds (steroids and such), it does the job. I would also ask your oncologist about using Vitamin B6 as neuropathy can result from this treatment.
Karen

ElaineM
04-19-2012, 10:05 AM
All the best to Hema on Taxol. I hope it takes care of the problem.
If Hema has a problem tolerating the Taxol or the pre meds for Taxol she may want to ask for Abraxane. Abraxane is Taxol with a water based nano technology protein binder instead of an older style cremphor oil based binder.

Joan M
04-21-2012, 07:06 PM
Pibikay,

I hope Hema does well on her new treatment, and the tumors shrink.

Joan

Mtngrl
04-28-2012, 06:59 PM
I know a woman with inflammatory breast cancer who's been on Taxol and Herceptin for 13 years.

Good point about asking for Abraxane if there's a problem with the Taxol. I developed an allergy to Taxol. Abraxane is much easier to tolerate--no premeds! And it may be more effective.

pibikay
05-05-2012, 03:30 AM
Just to update.She had a blood test 9 days after the taxol.Her blood counts were down.The Onc ordered three shots of neutina.And also antibiotics for 5 days.Her mouth sores have gone down and her tiredness or fatifue is little less.Hema feels that the lump is dissolving.The next dose of Taxol is on the9th.Hoping for the best

Becky
05-05-2012, 05:39 AM
Is Hema also receiving Herceptin with the Taxol? These 2 together are highly synergistic. Did Hema also get the new lump biopsied? It may have different characteristics and may be hormone positive now. This opens the door for many other less toxic agents.

I am thinking about you and Hema every day.

Pray
05-05-2012, 06:57 AM
I am hoping and praying for the best for Hema and you. Hema is such a tough little lady.Peace my friends,Nancy

pibikay
05-06-2012, 05:23 AM
There was no time to get the biopsy done.Taxol was started within a week 0f our appointment when the lump was found.She is not on herceptin but is continuing on Tykerb.Thanks Becky

ElaineM
05-06-2012, 10:08 AM
Tykerb and Taxol or Abraxane is a good combo. Tykerb gets into more pathways in the body than Herceptin does and works a bit differently, but it is still a good drug.
If Hema's white blood counts are down she can try to eat more fruits, vegetables, and mushrooms. Anything that will help the immune system or has alot of antioxidants will help the white blood count. If her red blood is down various kinds of beans, raisins, apricots, dark leafy vegetables and blackberries are some foods with iron to raise the red blood count.
Antibiotics are good, but they sometimes reduce the good bacteria in the body. Yoghurt helps to get that back.
All the best to Hema. She is a strong lady and she has a nice husband to help her.

pibikay
05-13-2012, 07:28 AM
Hema had her second Taxol on the 9th. Thw blood test on 8th was OK. This time along with taxol the Onc has added a injection to boost the blood count. I was not sble to get the name correctly from the nurse.But it is expensive and comes filled up in a syringe.Last few days she has less fatigue.But she has problems with her stomach which is queasy.

ElaineM
05-13-2012, 11:58 AM
I think the prescription drugs for nausea are Zofran and Compazine. She can ask her doctor for a prescription for the pills to have at home or as an addition to her I. V.
However if she likes ginger she can enjoy that in any form for nausea.
Ginger tea, adding fresh ginger to food when cooking, adding ginger spice to food when cooking, dried or candied ginger, ginger candy, fresh good quality ginger ale beverage are all helpful.
I add fresh ginger to almost all cooked food, including my oatmeal in the morning and I have never been nauseous.
All the best to both of you.