PDA

View Full Version : Social Security Disability....Yes!

Ceesun
04-04-2012, 09:29 AM
Well, Her 2 "family", it is with much appreciation and a fair amount of shock that I (just like Vicki revised) went to online bank on my computer this morning and found a 5 figure deposit from social security. I am almost numb and also a little sad because it underscores my catastrophic situation. I am so thankful to my friend who mentioned to me as we floated around in the pool in Florida...."have you ever applied".....? Unbelieveable! Thank you sisters who offered suggestions on the application process. I felt pretty good about filling out the forms probably from my "teacher years!" and I suppose the dates and times are forever etched in my mind. I only spoke to someone from the SS dept in Florida who was awaiting my records here....as I noted on the form most of my treatment and documentation is in Michigan. The adjustor said if we want more after the Florida clinic we will send for it. I think from the timeline the Florida support info was enough. Well, life goes on....now in a few hours I am off to infuse Vitamin H as Andi always called it. Sincerely, Ceesun

'lizbeth
04-04-2012, 10:00 AM
So glad you received the funds.

Vicki revised
04-05-2012, 12:24 AM
that's wonderful news! I was on a high about it--FINALLY something worked out and it was simple. I was pretty proud of myself for handling it without having to get a lawyer, and being capable of getting approval 1st try and in less than 3 weeks. I've paid a ton of SS taxes over the yrs that I never expected to benefit from. This will take a lot of financial stress off.

Did you get the letter yet? Mine arrived 3 days after the $ so I didnt touch the $ until I knew for sure it was mine.

Sheila
04-05-2012, 04:55 AM
Ceesun
YEAH!!!! So happy things went smoothly for you!

greenacres
04-05-2012, 07:22 AM
Congratulations! Good for you! :) Happy Dance!

Jackie07
04-05-2012, 08:32 AM
Congratulations! Hope more of our sisters will take actions and get what they are entitled to. We have paid into the system and we should be able to use it.

Joan M
04-05-2012, 05:26 PM
Ceesun, Yes!! Joan

KDR
04-05-2012, 06:34 PM
Great, victorious news, Ceesun!
(A little heads-up: Did they point out they would be deducting funds for Medicare shortly? if you defer Medicare but decide on it later, you will have to pay back all the months you were eligible but declined).
Karen

Ceesun
04-12-2012, 09:00 PM
Just got the official notice....yes, they said $ for medicare would be deducted....not sure how Medicare works because I thought I was not eligible until 65, but I will learn I guess!

Vicki revised
04-12-2012, 10:34 PM
When receiving SS disability- after 24 month you are eligible for medicare regardless of age. How this works with your current insurance varies per carrier and group so you should check with your current ins company.

Also, determination as to eligibility and re-evaluation are determined by your state disability office, not the federal so that explains the different timeframes, information required and the date of disbility. I don't understand the relationship b/t the state and feds on this but that's why the varying eperiences we've all noted.

KDR
04-13-2012, 06:03 AM
Ceesun,
Medicare will be your primary and will pay 80% of your medical costs. You will need a secondary to pick up the balance that Medicare doesn't (that is if you don't have other coverage, either husband or other), then get a drug coverage plan. Every plan is customized according to income. It's complicated at times.
Wishing you the very best now and always,
Karen

Ceesun
04-13-2012, 09:28 AM
Oh Karen, thanks and once again Vicki, Sheila, and all.... thanks for your comments....this was really not something I expected. Ceese

KDR
04-13-2012, 01:29 PM
You are welcome, Ceesun...as long as you qualify for SSD, you get Medicare, too.

Sheila
04-14-2012, 06:12 AM
I had medicare and was paying abput 325.00 per month out of my SSD....this was for Medicare Part B as Medicare Part A (Hospital only) is free. Anyway, Part B never paid on anything as my husbands insurance was considered primary...I finally called BCBS, and medicare, and found I did not have to take this part and pay for it since I had good primary insurance. I was told that if anything changed with my insurance, I could start purchasing part B with no penalty...get it checked out before doing anything, with both Medicare and your insurance...it may vary due to state or age....I was in my 50's at the time!..I still only cary Part A to this day, and it is free.

Ceesun
04-14-2012, 06:05 PM
OK Sheila....merci! Ceesun