PDA

View Full Version : Neoadjuvant chemo + herceptin... duration of herceptin?

xcrunner53
03-29-2012, 12:57 PM
Hi, my mom was diagnosed last year with Her2+ breast cancer and I'm just on here trying to gather some information.

She was diagnosed on 12/21/10 with a 1.8cm tumor (HER2+/ER+/PR-). She went through 3 months of weekly chemo treatment of abraxane and herceptin. Then in June she had a bilateral mastectomy with all sampled nodes clear. Post surgery she continued on herceptin and is currently still on it.

My mom has received mixed answers from her doctors as far as the duration of her herceptin treatment. Originally she was told she would be on herceptin for 52 weeks, however the doctors did not specify whether or not this included the 12 weeks while she was on chemo prior to surgery.

For those of you who have done neoadjuvant treatment and/or are familiar with it, I am curious if you have any information that confirms that the duration of her herceptin should include the doses prior to surgery or not.

Thank you!

xcrunner53
03-29-2012, 01:25 PM
Also just to clarify some things so you all have a better understanding of my mom's cancer and treatment...

Chemo was weekly.
She was on abraxane/carboplatin/herceptin from Feb '11 to June '11 (started with TCH but had to stop taxotere due to toxic reaction) .
Bilateral mastectomy in June '11.
Resumed perception only infusions in July '11 through March '12.
Had 2 PET scans - March and Oct '11 - both clear.

xcrunner53
03-29-2012, 01:26 PM
Another question I have is do any of you believe that my mom should have another PET scan following her completion of herceptin?

Mtngrl
03-30-2012, 09:10 AM
I think they generally do Herceptin for a total of one year with early stage breast cancer. As I understand it, only Stage IV goes longer than that. The 12 weeks of chemo count in the 52 weeks.

jra40
03-30-2012, 12:37 PM
Hello! I had neo-adjuvant treatment for early stage breast cancer. I am in a trial clinical trial that required me to receive Herceptin for 1 year following my first dose. My first dose was in March of 2011 and I just finished last week.

Your mom was lucky to get a PET scan - I did not get any scan at all which I am a little upset about. My oncologist said it was not necessary but I still would've liked the reassurance.

Rest of treatment protocol and results are below my signature line.

Jessica