PDA

View Full Version : A little help with shirts/bras

valleygirl
02-11-2012, 02:27 PM
I had both breast removed on 1/23, I'm having a hard time with shirts. I can't move either arm to well yet to get dressed, my daughter is still having to help. I'm sure i'm going to need PT to get better use of my arms. My left breast has a implant and my right has a expander. It is very noticable. I've just been wearing sweat shirts that zip in the front that are 3 sizes to big. My breast aren't so noticable and it's easy on my arms trying to get them into the sleeves. My problem is finding something half way normal to wear that my breast aren't so noticeable. At some point I plan to go back to work but really would like to wear something other than a sweatshirt that is 3 sizes to big. oh and i'm not sure about bras. I'm still using the two that I got from the hospital that hold the drains and have a velcro front closure. I've looked for sports bras that close in the front with no luck. I'm hoping you can help me. Thanks

CoolBreeze
02-11-2012, 02:42 PM
You might want to try the SPANX Bra-llelujah Bras. You can pull them up from your hips and the are very flexible and soft. No hooks. You can put padding in one side to even you out.

Also, JC Penney carries sports bras that zip in the front, if you have that store near you. You can find some on Amazon too.

As for clothes, that's harder with your shoulder problems. I think you might want to look for button up blouses. You probably can't manage anything that pulls over your head right now. A blouse you can put one arm in and then manage the other arm.

NanaJoni
02-11-2012, 03:01 PM
I had bi-lateral mx with no reconstruction so use prostheses. While I was healing and before I got the "good" prostheses and bras that my insurance pay for, I was using foam and fiberfill padding. I found front hooking Fruit of the Loom cotton sports bras at Walmart - two for $10. They have a double layer of cotton fabric in the cup area and I just cut along the side seam and padded as needed. Later I could even put prostheses in through the side cuts. These are still a favorite for around the house when I want to be comfortable and not as fussy. As for clothes, I bought several button up shirts in a size larger than my normal size. I can still wear them buttoned up or open over a tank or turtleneck. I also bought several cotton tank-style t-shirts, some plain and some with cute lacy inserts in front. I wear them with anything that feels too low cut. Even with my bras I still have a hollow look where cleavage use to be. It's all about artful camouflage and feeling comfortable.

valleygirl
02-11-2012, 03:41 PM
Thanks so much for the quick reply!!! What did you use for padding and where can I purchase it?
Thanks again for all your help!

CoolBreeze
02-11-2012, 04:47 PM
When I was pretty flat on one side, I found one of those "As seen on TV" fake boobs!

http://www.amazon.com/Original-Looks-Silicone-Bra-Inserts/dp/B000VSGPBO/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1329003864&sr=8-7

They are silicone and stay in place really well. I am very skinny (100 pounds) but had a 34D bust (naturally) so needed something substantial to even me out. They are not adjustable but it worked for a long time, and you can kind of place them up higher where you need them. There are other inserts on amazon that may work for you, and doing that quick search I saw an inflatable one you may like to try.

Even cotton padding that you can adjust might be all you need. I did that right after surgery because I was tender.

chrisy
02-11-2012, 04:58 PM
I used to wear tops with lots of pattern - like aloha shirt prints (not in big aloha shirt size tho). Wearing regular clothes off the rack made me feel and look more or less normal despite the actuality if being quite lopsided at the time.

chrisy
02-11-2012, 05:00 PM
Oh yeah I forgot all about just putting a sock in the "empty" side!

Sheila
02-11-2012, 05:25 PM
My sister found that the Coobie bras worked great...she got the larger size as she was a 40C before her bilateral....they work well in the interim for single or double mastectomy...removeable pads, and comfy!

Search bras on the site and you will see alot of people love them...hope this helps

Paula O
02-11-2012, 07:09 PM
Hi Valley Girl,

Larger, patterned button down shirts will probably be your most comfortable, descreet choice right now until you can use your usual clothing. Arm therapy did me a lot of good with my range of motion.

Perhaps your local American Cancer Society resource room may have some free comfy mastectomy bras and breast shaped padding and prosthetics that might work during this time of transition as you go through reconstruction. They have all sorts of free stuff available to cancer patients and are really helpful. A professional "fitter" where mastectomy bras are sold would probably also have some good ideas for you. Paula

http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/s320x320/395909_2926646337960_1614979105_2561434_1501605201 _n.jpg (http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=2926646337960&set=a.1056001293003.10055.1614979105&type=1&ref=nf)
And remember, it’s important not to get any exercise before you actually get to the exercise place.
By: Mark Heiss (http://www.facebook.com/mark.heiss1)

yanyan
02-12-2012, 01:58 AM
I have been braless for almost one year now。it is very uncomfortable to wear a bra on a hard expander.my surgeon told me not to wear bra with the expanders anyway. If you are small breasted like me, I have 500 cc filling on each side it is easy to hide under any clothes. My left expander leaked so my breasts are lopsided. If you wear a top with prints or patterns it covers very well.