PDA

View Full Version : Aclasta (Reclast) infusion tomorrow

caya
01-30-2012, 06:22 PM
Since I now have osteoporosis (thanks Femara!) my onc. sent me to an endocronolgist to see about getting a zolendric acid infusion. In my province they use Aclasta (5 mg. of zolendric acid) for this purpose. The dr. says I will have the infusion every 12 - 18 months.

So my first infusion is tomorrow afternoon. I'm having it infused by a nurse at a hospital, they told me to drink a lot today, tomorrow, and the next day. The dr. also advised me to take one Tylenol tonight, 3 tomorrow, and 1 -2 the day afterwards to hopefully ward off any flu-like symptoms. A friend is taking me down to the hospital so I won't have to drive home in case I don't feel well.

Any words of wisdom from anyone who has had a Zometa/Reclast/Aclasta infusion?

all the best
caya

Ellie F
01-31-2012, 05:17 AM
Thanks for posting this Caya. Yesterday my scan results indicated I might have a degree of osteoporosis and I am referred for a dexa scan. My onc has stated that if the results are positive he will definitely treat me. Not sure what with so very interested to get any information.
As I have very little dairy in my diet I am going to try to improve my intake of calcium rich foods and vit d3 to try to help the situation. As there is no history of osteoporosis in my family I and I am not oestrogen + I can only assume it is a side effect of chemo and ongoing herceptin.
Any info would be appreciated.
Ellie

Pray
01-31-2012, 06:09 AM
hi Ellie, I started taking Vit. D3 gel caps 1000 twice a day and with in 3 months my D level went from 11 to 25. My Dr. was as pleased as I was! Good luck ladies!

Delaney
01-31-2012, 02:39 PM
My Doctor advised me to take calcium with the D3 and prescribed Calcichew D3 Forte. Two chewable tablets daily. Very easy to take, lemony flavour.

Becky
01-31-2012, 04:56 PM
I was on Zometa (same drug different name) and I did not take Tylenol (a great suggestion by your doctor) and I did get a fever the next day - I felt like I was getting the flu. I felt funky that next day - tired and weak and feverish. But the day after that, I was completely fine. So, with the Tylenol, who knows but I suppose if you plan on feeling funky and don't, all the better. The funkiness doesn't last though.

caya
01-31-2012, 05:39 PM
I had the Aclasta infusion today - the whole deal took about 45 minutes.

I feel tired, a bit of a headache, nothing major. I'm drinking lots of water, and following the dr.'s Tylenol schedule.

I take 4000 U of Vitamin D3/day, as well as 1500 mg. calcium (along with various other things). Vitmain D3 levels up here in Canada must be measured differently, as mine was 101 - the endocronlogist said you want to be between 75 and 200.

all the best
caya

Joan M
01-31-2012, 06:15 PM
Caya,

Glad to hear that nothing major occurred and your doctor is staying on top of the osteoporosis.

Joan

Pray
01-31-2012, 09:57 PM
Hi Caya,On the Vit. D. My dr. said anything over 30 is good. I was showing how much it can rise in a few short months. 11 is not good. Gods blessings to you.

caya
02-02-2012, 07:14 AM
Had a terrible second day - woke up at 6 a.m. with the flu-like symptoms - chills, nausea, terrible bone pain, weakness. I slept most of the day, my girls had to come in at 5:00 p.m. to see if I was still alive -:)!

Feeling better today, but man, yesterday was a doozie!!

all the best
caya

tricia keegan
02-02-2012, 10:34 AM
Hi Caya I'm late coming in here but have zometa once yearly for osteopenia thanks to Arimidex, like you I had a bad second day too but was fine after that!:)

Ellie F
02-02-2012, 01:31 PM
Do you progress onto zometa after trying other treatments or do they give it you from the start if you get diagnosed with osteopenia/osteoporosis?
Can supps of calcium and vit D3 improve things on their own?
Got appt for dexa scan in 3 weeks so grateful for any info.
Ellie

tricia keegan
02-05-2012, 03:09 PM
Ellie i was first tried on Fosamax which upset my tummy so much I had to stop it, you take it once a week before tea/coffee or food and can't eat or lie down for almost an hour after it. My Onc suggested the zometa when I had issue's with this med and it suits me better, good luck with the Dexa and hopefully your bones are fine for now!!!

P.S Sorry I meant to say calcium and vitamins cant help if you pregress to Osteopenia/osteoporosis!

CoolBreeze
02-05-2012, 03:12 PM
I admit I got pretty achy and fluish after my first Zometa infusion. I never had another response though, no matter how long between infusions. (Now I'm up to monthly). Your first will be the worst, and you got great advice from the nurses. Just plan to take it easy the next day and then you'll be fine.