PDA

View Full Version : Hunger or Habit?

Hopeful
01-04-2012, 02:08 PM
http://www.philly.com/philly/opinion/inquirer/136635123.html

Hopeful

TanyaRD
01-09-2012, 06:21 PM
Have you ever read any of Dr. Brian Wansink's work? He a professor at Cornell and wrote a book called Mindless Eating. His studies are both eye opening and entertaining. He is a great, humorous speaker. There is some interesting info and videos at the site below.

www.mindlesseating.org

Hopeful
01-10-2012, 07:15 AM
Tanya, I have not (yet), but I enjoyed reading his web site. It made me interested in reading more - thanks for the link and the tip.

Hopeful

Mtngrl
01-13-2012, 12:40 PM
Hmm.

Over the winter break I was away from home, staying with friends, for three weeks. I wasn't trying to lose weight, but I dropped about 4 pounds. I was eating treats (I even made a pumpkin cheesecake and some extremely rich brownies). I ate a lot of restaurant meals. Yet I must have eaten less and/or exercised more than usual.

Maybe some of it was the change of scenery. Also I didn't want to inconvenience my hosts, so I probably ate less of their food than I would have eaten at home.

There was also less mindless eating. I eat "healthy food," but sometimes quite a lot of it. It's really no surprise I'm overweight.

If I can keep discarding excess body fat at the rate I've done it for the last 3 weeks, I'll reach my goal (32 more pounds) in about 24 weeks.

Hopeful
01-13-2012, 01:21 PM
Amy, I find my vacation experiences often result in my losing a few pounds instead of gaining. I attribute it to a definite change in eating habits, i.e., food is usually not available 24/7 as we are moving around, sight seeing and what have you, so I do not eat at all between meals. I frequently end up having fewer meals, too, as I will very likely skip lunch rather than lose an hour or an hour and a half of activity time to finding a place to have a meal. I discovered a long time ago that for myself, if I wanted to change a habit, the best time to start was on a vacation, while not surrounded by any of the familiar triggers. I thought there was a lot of truth to this article.

Hopeful