PDA

View Full Version : ladies with her2neu positvie stage 2 a breast cancer

soccersarah2005
01-03-2012, 07:53 AM
Hi my mom was diagnosed with her2neu stage 2 a breast cancer. She has to take chemo for a year plus radation. Is this common? Also do we have a surivior who has been in this situation. Thanks so much

Kroesen
01-03-2012, 08:50 AM
SoccerSarah,

My name is Arlyce and I am going through treatment right now. I have been diagnosed as stage 2B. First of all, there is hope! I remember like it was yesterday the fears that come with the diagnosis. I started this process last June, had a mastectomy last July and started chemo in August.

The chemo that you are talking about that will last a year is probably herceptin. Am I right? After you get through the first set, things will look up.

I am starting radiation this week. This is my second step.

Let me know how everything is going. This is a great site for support and questions. There are many here that are more knowledgable than I am, but I am here for you and your mom.

Stay strong!

NanaJoni
01-03-2012, 09:16 AM
Sarah - I was Stage 1 but did this same treatment plan. I did something called TCH (taxotere, carboplatin, Herceptin) for 4 treatments, then over 30 radiation treatments and Herceptin every 3 weeks for almost a year. This is one of the most common treatment regimens for HER2+ breast cancer. Had a few complications along the way (in my signature) - but now am doing very well and had scans in the last few months showing I'm NED (no evidence of disease). I'm sure you'll get replies from lots of the folks on this site who were Stage 2 and are also doing very well. You'll get great info and answers to questions here on this forum so don't hesitate to ask anything. Good luck to you and your mom - lots of prayers go out every day for us all.

PinkGirl
01-03-2012, 12:19 PM
Hi Socc
I am/was stage 2 A. I had 8 chemo treatments and a year
of herceptin. I didn't need radiation because I opted for a
mastectomy. I was dx. in 2005 and I'm still here!!!

soccersarah2005
01-03-2012, 01:00 PM
thanks so much ladies for your comments!! please keep us in your prayers!! glad you guys are doing great!

tricia keegan
01-03-2012, 01:16 PM
I was 2b so not quite the same but wanted to reassure you the herceptin is not a chemo but a targeted therapy so wont have the debilatating side effects chemo does, good luck to your Mom!

CoolBreeze
01-03-2012, 01:41 PM
I was IIa I did six rounds of carboplatin and taxotere, but switched to taxol in the middle due to neuropathy. I did herceptin for a year. The only side effect I had from herceptin is a runny nose.

Good luck to your mom.

Becky
01-03-2012, 07:51 PM
I was stage 2 and did this type of treatment and I am 7+ years out and okay so far!!

Wishing your mom well.

soccersarah2005
01-03-2012, 08:10 PM
hey becky
that is great!!!!!! did u have to take chemo for a year and radiation too???

Becky
01-04-2012, 06:07 AM
I did chemo and Herceptin. I had radiation because I had a lumpectomy. You can see my treatment under my signature.

Gerri
01-04-2012, 09:22 AM
Sarah,

I was dx'd as Stage 2A 6 years ago. I had a lumpectomy and went through chemo for 4 months, radiation and Herceptin for 1 year. I am happy to say I am doing very well.

Best of luck to your mom.

Jackie07
01-05-2012, 02:15 AM
Hi,

I had a 'recurrence' in 2007 that's a Stage 2B 4 years after my initial lumpectomy/chemo/radiation in 2003. I received 6 rounds of chemo (TCH) and 4 rounds of weekly Herceptin before stopping treatment due to reduced heart function (MUGA dropped more than 10 %.)

The 'standard' way of treatment Her2 breast cancer has been chemo + Herceptin for a total of one year (plus radiation if a lumpectomy) There has been studies showing that a shortened schedule (11 weeks?) works just as well (98%). You can check the signatures/postings of the newly iagnosed in 'New Comers Wagon' to compare notes.