PDA

View Full Version : Scanxiety for me!

dawny
12-17-2011, 11:49 PM
Hi all

Just having a case of scanxiety - my first scans after chemo were three months ago - all clear NED, now I am off for my first lot of scans since being off chemo. I guess I am worried that without the chemo backup, it may be back somewhere. I know it is not in the brain as I had an brain MRI last week, because i was (and still am) having constant headaches. So hopefully it will be all clear, but those butterflies are lurching around in my stomach!

Thanks all

Dawn

chemteach
12-18-2011, 07:46 AM
Hey there....keeping you in my thoughts and prayers, and I hope it's all great news. Confidence.

Mtngrl
12-18-2011, 02:44 PM
Dawn,

The best advice I ever got was "Don't worry twice." It is what it is, and you'll know what you need to know when you need to know it.

I understand how you feel, though. I was worried about going off chemo too, especially since I still had some active cancer. Then I told myself, "It's an immune system problem. Without the immune suppression from the chemo, and with the help of Herceptin, I'll beat this thing."

I'm happy for you that your last scans were good. There's no reason to think any of that has changed.

Don't let what might happen in the future spoil your present.

All the best,

chrisy
12-18-2011, 03:47 PM
Scanxiety...part of the game. One trick I have used is to try not to think about it, until when I went to see the doctor and get results. That worked surprisingly well except for one time I got the date wrong, showed up a day early, and had a complete meltdown!

It will get easier the more clean reports you get under your belt, and as Amy said there's no reason to think that will change.

Take care
Chris

suzan w
12-18-2011, 06:12 PM
One of the side effects of cancer is the constant anxiety over every little twinge. I have been to the Emerg. Rm in the middle of the night, certain of brain mets, only to have vertigo. Never thought I would be so glad to have vertigo!!! I worried about everything at first. With time, I am much more confident that my body is behaving itself and that I am really NED, and my doctor agrees. The anxiety is tough, you are tougher!!!

BonnieR
12-19-2011, 12:09 AM
I like what Amy said.."Don't worry twice". Time enough for that later, if warrented. I don't have scanxiety since I never have routine scans! That's one way to avoid it. And the ones I DID have on my lungs just sent everybody on a big goose chase and unnecessary surgery.
Keep the faith.

dawny
12-19-2011, 12:22 AM
Thank you all for your wise words of wisdom, I will now go and have a glass of wine with dinner to calm my nerves..... tomorrow is tomorrow

thanks
Dawn

iamlisaann
12-19-2011, 12:58 AM
Ativan Baby Ativan. Controlling scanxiety is sometimes easier said than done for me. Like others have said, once you get clean scans under your belt, I promise you it will get better.

Great Health thoughts, Lisa

BonnieR
12-19-2011, 11:20 AM
Good point, Lisa!