PDA

View Full Version : Walking the Susan B 3-Day

Estelle
09-09-2011, 11:04 AM
Dear Friends,

I have posted here from time to time so wanted to let you know that I am walking the Susan B. Komen 3-Day (60 miles) in 2 weeks in DC, and to ask for your support if you are inclined to give it. At my daughter's urging, (she was my primary caretaker) I decided to challenge myself to see if I could do this. Prior to my being diagnosed with breast cancer, we had walked a half marathon for leukemia and lymphoma. Since I now have chronic neurapathy cause by Taxol, I did not believe I could do this type of activity again due to foot tingling and cramping. But training for this event has absolutely empowered me. My first training walk was a mile (after having not walked more than block for the last 2 years); then I walked 3, then 5, 7, 9 and finally 18! The surprise for me was that the neurapathy did not interfere with the walking -- in fact, I hardly think about it when I am walking.

I don't need to tell this group how important education and research are, so I will skip the usual pitch, just if you want to support me (or know more about my personal journey) click on the link below. Any support will be greatly appreciated!

In any event, I hope my story gives you all hope that there is life after treatment, despite how you may feel right now.

Thanks for considering this.

http://www.the3day.org/site/TR/2011/WashingtonDCEvent2011?px=5993126&pg=personal&fr_id=1623

NEDenise
09-09-2011, 12:55 PM
Estelle,
You are an inspiration. I only finished my Taxol a few weeks ago...and the combination of being out of shape...and neuropathy...wow...I hope someday to be where you are!
Best of luck with the walk!
Denise