PDA

View Full Version : People get ready there's a train a'coming... news on pertuzumab, Cleopatra!

Lani
09-03-2011, 02:59 PM
Nature Reviews Drug Discovery 10, 648 (September 2011) | doi:10.1038/nrd3538

Trial watch: ERBB2 dimerization inhibitor meets end point in breast cancer trial

Preliminary results from a Phase III clinical trial of pertuzumab, an antibody that prevents dimerization of the ERBB2 (also known as HER2) receptor with other ligand-activated ERBB receptors, have shown that the drug significantly extended the progression-free survival of patients with ERBB2-positive metastatic breast cancer.

In the CLEOPATRA clinical trial, 808 patients with previously untreated metastatic breast cancer were treated either with pertuzumab plus trastuzumab (Herceptin, Roche/Genentech) and docetaxel chemotherapy or with trastuzumab and docetaxel. Although no comprehensive data have been released yet, Roche has announced that it intends to seek regulatory approval for pertuzumab based on the results of this trial.

“Pertuzumab is very likely to be a milestone in the treatment of ERBB2-positive breast cancer for a number of reasons,” says José Baselga, Associate Director of the Massachusetts General Hospital Cancer Center, Boston, Massachusetts, USA, and principal investigator of the CLEOPATRA trial. “To begin with, it is likely that pertuzumab in combination with trastuzumab and docetaxel will be the new standard of care as a first-line treatment in patients with metastatic breast cancer. This combination is superior to the standard trastuzumab and docetaxel, with very minimal — if any — additional side effects. In addition, a clinical trial of pertuzumab as adjuvant therapy (postoperative) is just starting (ClinicalTrials.gov identifier: NCT01358877), so pertuzumab could also change the way we treat breast cancer in the early disease setting.”

Pertuzumab is very likely to be a milestone in the treatment of ERBB2-positive breast cancer for a number of reasons

Although both pertuzumab and trastuzumab bind to the same receptor tyrosine kinase — ERBB2, which has aberrant expression or function in breast cancer and is associated with poor prognosis — the antibodies function through different mechanisms.

“The ERBB family of receptors have four extracellular domains. Trastuzumab binds to domain IV of the ERBB2 receptor, whereas pertuzumab binds to domain II — the so-called dimerization arm,” explains Nancy Hynes, who studies the molecular basis of breast cancer at the Friedrich Miescher Institute for Biomedical Research, Basel, Switzerland. “Domain II is the domain that interacts with the other ERBB family members — epidermal growth factor receptor (EGFR), ERBB3 and ERBB4 — when they are ligand-activated.”

Importantly, pertuzumab blocks interactions between ERBB2 and ERBB3, which together form the most potent dimer of the ERBB family in initiating oncogenic signalling. Moreover, unlike trastuzumab, pertuzumab has the potential to function in tumours with normal levels of ERBB2. However, Hynes notes that the antibody might be less effective in tumours with active EGFR, given that EGFR homodimers can signal without the help of ERBB2. Another advantage of pertuzumab lies in the fact that it interferes with ligand-activated ERBB2-containing complexes, which means that the drug could work in ERBB2-positive tumours in which trastuzumab alone is ineffective. “In ERBB2-overexpressing tumours, one mechanism that could contribute to trastuzumab resistance is co-expression of heregulin or any of the other ERBB ligands. Based on the promising results of combining trastuzumab and pertuzumab in ERBB2-overexpressing breast cancer, we can hypothesize that the ability of pertuzumab to disrupt ligand-activated ERBB2-containing complexes contributes to its activity.”

Given the success of this trial, which investigated a combination of two antibodies, it is possible that combination therapies that target more than one component of a signalling pathway could become more widespread. Indeed, as Baselga points out, “The demonstration that combined ERBB2 blockade with two antibodies may be superior to therapy with just one antibody has implications that extend far beyond ERBB2, as the concept could also be applied to the targeting of other receptor tyrosine kinases.”

StephN
09-03-2011, 03:42 PM
Thanks, Lani -
Looks like what the experts have been theorizing for a few years now is coming to fruition.

I love the name of the trial - Cleopatra was a woman to be rekoned with, and so will this drug combination.

I hope some of our sisters here who are beyond the first line in their mets fight will be able to benefit off label or however.

chrisy
09-03-2011, 04:38 PM
i've had a few conversations with genentech researchers involved with the development of pertuzumab, some who were also on the tdm1 development. Those folks really know their stuff; and when they get excited, I get excited. Steph, it is definitely another step towards the 'total blockade" appoach we've been hearing about over the years.

Hurry up, please!

schoonder
09-03-2011, 04:52 PM
At ESMO late September, Roche will also release data from a two armed phaseII trial of T-DM1 vs Trastuzumab/Docetaxel, results of an evaluation which they're very excited about. The now ongoing international phaseIII trial Marianne, follow-up of this completed phaseII, was given a third arm consisting of T-DM1 and Pertuzumab.
Hopefully results from this combination show that Pertuzumab is synergistic in this setting and thus help further improve on standard of care as a first-line treatment in patients with metastatic breast cancer

Trish
09-03-2011, 11:59 PM
Thank you all for that info.Bring it on! The total blockade approach is yet to be embraced by the Australian Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme but I fear that has more to do with economics than science.I'm so glad to have benefit of your experience and contacts.
Trish

pibikay
09-04-2011, 12:07 AM
Thanks all for the info.But when we will gwt them here in India is what I am wondering.

kykeon22
09-04-2011, 12:39 AM
Thank you for this piece of information,

I can't wait to see the results of the trials.

Ellie F
09-04-2011, 04:50 AM
Thanks Lani
Another bit of good news. I hope as Chrisy has suggested that it is also synergistic with T-DM1. I am wondering how long it will now be before this is approved in the States because we then have a chance of getting it approved by NICE here in the UK!

Ellie

Lori R
09-04-2011, 07:30 AM
Lani,
Thank you for posting such an encouraging news item. I am so excited by posts that indicate we have yet another weapon available to us!!

Chrisy...thanks for chiming in as I knew you have some direct insights that few of us have. When all those smartie pants researchers get excited I can't help but remain hopeful.

This post also explains why my onc recently mentioned pertuzumab. Another good sign that my onc is "on it".

I go forward with an extra dose of hope for a beautiful labor day weekend. Thank you for the gift of hope!!!!

Ellie F
09-04-2011, 11:28 AM
Hey Lori,
My onc talked about pertuzumab a few months ago and was also very upbeat! It made me think that there was some good news about it then especially when he talked about having some pts in trials here in the UK doing well.
Ellie

hutchibk
09-04-2011, 11:45 AM
Our pipeline is flowing with amazing breakthroughs. Hope these results helps P-mab make it through the FDA maze sooner rather than later.

ElaineM
09-04-2011, 03:58 PM
One of the docs where I go told me the Petuzamab is even better than Herceptin !!!!!!! He expects it to be approved soon after the FDA application is filed. I hope so for everyone's sake.

kiwigirl
09-04-2011, 04:56 PM
I have also seen that it crosses the blood brain barrier like tykerb and is presently being used in Lung cancer that goes to the brain.

KristinSchwick
09-04-2011, 05:10 PM
Science once again gives us hope! As former researcher myself, I can say that there were a ton of people and research animals that put their lives into each new therapy that comes down the pipeline. Hopefully you all understand the importance of animal research, as every therapy at some point is tested on animals for one reason or another.

MJo
09-05-2011, 08:10 AM
RE: Research Animals
I for one am grateful. I told my oncologist that I planned to buy one of those bricks that some hospitals sell and have it carved with "In gratitude to all the laboratory rats that sacrificed their lives for medical research." Haven't done it yet.

Lani
09-05-2011, 08:48 AM
Kiwi girl-- Do you remember where have you seen that it crosses the blood-brain barrier?

My understanding is that is a large molecule, like herceptin which does not cross the BBB, where as small molecules like Tykerb do. Would be happy to have my understanding corrected!

Laurel
09-06-2011, 06:40 PM
MJo, you cracked me up with your "ode to all the rats I have known and loved..."