PDA

View Full Version : FDA Panel Calls for Silicone Breast Implant Registry

hutchibk
09-02-2011, 07:28 AM
http://www.medpagetoday.com/Surgery/PlasticSurgery/28309

Sheila
09-02-2011, 08:02 AM
Brenda
I was part of a study on Mentor Silicone implants, supposed to be followed up for 10 years...I even called the PS and Mentor, and no one can tell me why I have never been followed. Makes one wonder a bit about these studies...I remember the paperwork was like I was entering a clinical trial, but the followups are lame!

Soccermom
09-02-2011, 03:58 PM
Thanks for posting this Brenda! Although most of my recon is flaps I did have to add small implants. I had spontaneous blistering last year (3 years out) contacted Allergan,filed a report and NEVER heard back! Took antibiotics , ointment and have scarring. Also contacted PS and let them know...like Sheila , no followup by manufacturer :(
Do they really care or is it all "lip service"?
M.

chrisy
09-02-2011, 03:59 PM
I had the same experience. I did get one phone call (message) but when I returned the call nobody ever responded. Lame.

Laurel
09-02-2011, 07:18 PM
Do you ladies get a MRI every 3 years? My breast surgeon scheduled an MRI to coincide with my 3 year anniversary of implantation. I was prepared to remind her, but they beat me to the punch.

hutchibk
09-03-2011, 11:25 AM
I have always stuck w/ my saline... even after my two capsulectomies... I like my decision.

Soccermom
09-08-2011, 08:40 PM
Laurel,
My PS doesnt recommend them unless there is a problem ...
:(

Marcia

Pray
09-08-2011, 09:08 PM
My ps does them at 3 yrs and then 1 a year. My cancer didn't show up on mammograms so I get mammogram on my right breast and 6months later mri on both then 6months later mammo.and so on. So every year I have both.(I am afraid of all of these tests!)

Sheila
09-09-2011, 05:01 AM
Laurel
I have never had a breast MRI as follow up...there is no follow up, just a routine mammograg on the other side.
Makes me wonder if the manufacturer really cares....

chicagoetc
09-12-2011, 06:55 PM
I'm with Sheila here. I was told that I needed to have an MRI every two years. But I'm guessing it won't happen unless I ask. Is it just a matter of Mentor/others covering themselves re liability by having us sign paperwork regarding such? My guess is yes (though I hope I'm wrong).

Melanie

Laurel
09-13-2011, 07:22 PM
Gosh, I am kinda surprised that your PCs and breast surgeons do not offer follow up MRIs. Mentor recommends MRIs every 3 years to validate the integrity of the implant. I think this is precautionary to search for any early leaks, which are always possible despite their best efforts. I was also surprised when my breast surgeon's nurse noted that I was approaching my 3 year anniversary with my new girls and raised the subject of my MRI scheduling. I had remembered what Mentor's literature had recommended and my PC informing me I would have to remind my breast surgeon to order the follow MRI in 3 years, but never even had to pipe up. Of course, I hate breast MRIs because they make my lower back ache from the form that we are propped up on.

You guys have heard the one about the squeaky wheel getting the oil, right? Time to be pesty!

norkdo
09-13-2011, 08:35 PM
Brenda, re choosing to stick with saline...I won't be having recon for a year and a half perhaps. but am fascinated with what u say. Are their downsides for sticking with saline?