PDA

View Full Version : Tamoxifen not working; Arimidex/Lupron

ginnyg898
08-16-2011, 04:08 PM
My Onc put me on Tamoxifen about 6 weeks ago. I did alot of research (including this site!) about reactions and side effects, of which I had none. So I insisted on a metabolic test to see if it was working; I really dont see the need to be on a med for 5 years if it is doing me no good. Well, today I got the results and I was right; my body doesnt metabolize the Tamoxifen. So my Onc suggested we do Lupron shots each three months and Arimidex. I will have my first dose later this week.

I would love to hear from those of you that have done Lupron and Arimidex; any side effects I should know of? How did you feel while on the drugs? I read about possible joint pain, not a big deal as I have that from Herceptin already anyway :)

sassy
08-16-2011, 08:40 PM
Hey Ginny,

I was dx'd at 45. Onc put me on Lupron shots every three months and Arimidex. After one year had to go to monthly Lupron because my levels kept rising. I took the shots for four years, then had an oopherectomy.

I did have significant joint pain from both Arimidex and Lupron; my GP put me on Lasix which helped a good deal.

After stopping Lupron shots, I do feel more mentally sharp and a little more on the "normal" side physically.

Good luck, and keep the Lasix in mind if you do have joint pain. Not many people have tried this--small study showed promise and it has helped me.

Best Wishes,

1rarebird
08-17-2011, 07:27 PM
Ginny---What was the name of the metabolic test that you had preformed and which determined you were not metabolizing Tamoxifen? Was it the test for the CPY2D6 enzyme? I had that done but before starting Tamo. Thanks--bird