PDA

View Full Version : Pain pain pain

LoisLane
08-14-2011, 10:30 AM
Wanted to put my feelers out her to ask you about pain from Letrozole. I was on Femara for two years and then my insurance now covers only the Letrozole the generic brand. Oncologist said no problem same thing. I have found over the last six months I am in terrible pain at night. I know I have a frozen shoulder and am SUPPOSED to be doing exercises for this and I have been negligent with that. That arm is always painful but what I am finding now is that my whole body seems to ache all night. About six months ago I had a nagging pain in my left leg and my family doctor ordered bone scan and all was good except for a fractured rib. didn't know I had that but I did have a tumble hiking probably from that. When I get up in the a.m. feet are so sore can hardly walk. I know that we get lots of aches and pains from these meds but this is getting worse. We even bought a new mattress because thought that would help with shoulder. I asked my breast surgeon about pains last time I saw her and she said she knows that women complain that when you first get up you feel as though you are about 90 years old and then in a few minutes you move more freely. I guess I just wanted to vent here, anyone having terrible pains like this all night? I will be seeing my oncologist Nov and I will ask him about this, a friend said her oncologist changed her meds because of the pains and put her on something else and she said feels much better. I am going to go to my family doc soon if this doesn't let up. My husband said I should think about having another bone scan but I just had one six months ago and I dont know how often it is okay to do those. Oh well any info would be appreciated thanks ladies and gents Lois

BonnieR
08-14-2011, 11:15 AM
I think alot of us can identify with you, esp regarding the morning pain. I feel crippled when I wake up and it is so painful to walk at first.
You have different issues that need sorting out...various sources of pain. I also had a torn rotator cuff and exercise helped.
But the AI can be changed to a different one. I developed trigger thumb from Femara. Switched to Aromasin and it went away. I seem to have less aches and pains now. My onc said that the AIs are basically interchangable and one can switch around when SEs develop. We all tolerate them differently. I have one more year to go and hope to get to the finish line on Aromasin. Although I am blaming it for my recent weight gain!
Keep the faith.

tricia keegan
08-14-2011, 01:50 PM
I've been taking the sister drug Arimidex for five years and hope to continue for at least another two, I had some bone/joint pain in the first year which has now eased, either that or I've simply learned to live with it!

I did'nt have shoulder pain though or pain at night, have you tried switching the time you take this pill, maybe at bedtime could help?

I also take glucosamine/chondroitin daily but it takes about six weeks to notice a difference, exercise also helps so I take long walks daily. I hope you get some answers soon, could this be a frozen shoulder or an issue unrelated to bc???

LoisLane
08-14-2011, 04:54 PM
Thank you Bonnie and Tricia for your comments. You have calmed me down as I was getting a little nervous here worrying something was brewing....Bonnie I have the exact same symptoms with the feet when I get out of bed, my feet just dont want to move! It takes a few seconds and then I hobble off..I will definitely ask my oncologist about switching my Letrozole when I see him in November. I am also going to try taking two advil before I go to sleep to see if that helps as well. I do walk every day with my dog but I have to start the exercises the physio gave me for the shoulder. I was wondering about taking Glucosamine I am going to check with the pharmacist to make sure it is okay with my meds. Thanks again ladies for your support as usual what a great website and caring bunch of women. Lois

BonnieR
08-14-2011, 05:11 PM
Lois, I dont think you should wait until Nov to enquire about switching meds. That's a long time to be uncomfortable. And the sooner you make adjustments, the sooner you will know if the AI is the source of the pain.
I know what you mean about shoulder exercises. SOMETHING ELSE TO DO! lol.
Keep the faith.

Laurel
08-14-2011, 05:41 PM
Lois,

I have "Herman Munster" feet every morning, too! I try to remember to do stretching exercises of my feet before I try to stumble down the stairs. Otherwise, I think I do pretty well with the Letrozole. I know they think that women who take Vit D may have less pain. I take approx. 4000 IUs/day and I also take lots of oil caps, olive, avocado, coconut, and Fish. These are known to tamp down inflammation, so I believe they serve to help with the pain as well. I order them from SwansonVitamins. I only mention that because I find them to be so much less expense than other avenues. It is worth a try.