PDA

View Full Version : CA15.3, must I change?

michka
08-08-2011, 10:48 AM
Hello to all. I know CA.15.3 markers are not very reliable. However, they allowed me to detect my metastasis. They were at 25 for years and went to 28 and then 32 end 2010. I asked for a Pet/Scan and although my onc thought it was for nothing he accepted.
Since my liver resection in March these markers were always around 36 or 38. I didn't like that because I thought that if Navelbine worked the markers should go down back to 25. My liver MRI is clear so my onc is satisfied and I continue on Navelbine although I am having a hard time.
Now the CA15.3 are 44. I know it is a small increase but in my case it may be significant.
My next Pet/Scan is on September 7th.

My question: should I try switching to Tykerb/Xeloda for example to see if it impacts the markers or stick to Navelbine and wait to see if another metastasis showed up?
Other question I already asked but...should I add an anti estrogen like Faslodex? My onc does not like the idea. He thinks it could be antagonist with the chemo.

Any opinion is welcome. Michka

ElaineM
08-08-2011, 10:57 AM
I wonder if it would be better to wait until you get the pet scan results to change the medicine completely.
Even though the tumor markers are going up you don't know where the potential problem may be. Some medicines might work better in different parts of the body than others.
Take good care of yourself in other areas. Eat healthy food, get enough sleep, get some exercise and fresh air in the next few weeks until you get the scan.

michka
08-08-2011, 10:43 PM
Thanks Elaine. I don't think I can wait over a month to know. My platelets are
up also so I figure this means inflammation. In august, in Paris, everyone is gone. My onc is gone and there is another young onc acting. But I should be able to at least do a MRI of the liver and a scan. A pet/scan is much more difficult to schedule because there are very few. Michka

Trish
08-09-2011, 12:14 AM
Hi Michka
Is Faslodex Fulvestrant? If so I thought that was supposed to work with chemo. I am thinking I should be on an anti hormonal too but Fulvestrant is the only one I haven't tried and it is expensive here and not funded. Hope you get an answer re mets soon.
Trish

michka
08-09-2011, 04:30 AM
Miracle, I managed to get a slot for a Pet/Scan on Thursday. I am just hoping the miracle will go on and that they will find nothing new. Michka

Ellie F
08-09-2011, 07:54 AM
Michka
Please let us know how your scan goes. Hoping that there is nothing worrying found and you can breathe a sigh of relief.

Ellie

ammebarb
08-09-2011, 01:03 PM
Also hoping for the very best news!

Barb A.

Elizabethtx
08-09-2011, 06:00 PM
Praying it all is good news!

Adriana Mangus
08-09-2011, 10:59 PM
Hi Micha,

I agree with Elaine wait until after you get the pet-scan.

Keep us posted after you get the results, please.

Why is everyone gone in August? Just curious...something to do with the weather?.

Stay positive.

Love,

Adriana

StephN
08-10-2011, 04:44 AM
Dear Michka -
I am glad you managed to get a PET appointment. Now you can at least find out what and where you may have inflammation or other activity. I am guessing the Navelbine is causing the inflammation.

Adrianna - August is traditionally the month most of the population of France takes their vacation. The beaches and mountains are FULL of people. The French are entitled to more vacation than we get in the US, and they take it like clockwork.

michka
08-10-2011, 07:14 AM
Thank you for your encouraging words! It helps me a lot. Today I could not have my chemo because my white cell count was too low. That does not worry me and I needed a break. My liver parameters are going up. That worries me more along with the inflammation signs. I hope Steph is right and it is just a saturation from Navelbine. I will know tomorrow evening.
In august everyone is gone from Paris and the hospitals almost shut down except for emergencies because of the vacations. By law, employees have 5 weeks of vacations a year and most of them take 3 weeks in august.Michka

hutchibk
08-10-2011, 08:00 PM
It makes me nervous for folks to discount any tumor marker... for 7 years my CA15.3 has been very sensitive and predictive for me, very very reliable. It has offered my doctors the very earliest indication that I have new activity and is what has led us to earlier than normal scans (CT, PET CT and brain MRI) which have led us to very small and treatable mets. I know TMs aren't as reliable for everyone and that they are only one piece of the puzzle, but I am glad that they are leading you to get a PET and see what is going on.

Please let us know what your PET scan tells you when you get results. Thinking of you!