PDA

View Full Version : Identity theft alert

Jackie07
08-03-2011, 03:09 AM
Never thought I'd become one of the millions of victims of identity theft!

Received a phone call from the credit card company in the morning. The caller was trying hard to verify my personal information because there's a new application on our account.

I became suspecious and asked her to give me a number to call back. That number is different from the number printed in the back of my credit card...

Fortunately, after 3, 4 calls (using the toll-free number printed on the back of my card) back and forth, I found out the call was legitimate. The number she had given me was the direct line to the identity theft department. And we will be receiving a new card with a different number.

It will be the second 'new' card within just 3 month! I had reported to the credit card company after receiving a suspecious phone call doing some type of 'verification' one day several months ago, and in my not-quite-awke state I allowed the woman to 'verify' all sorts of personal information. I finally 'regain my senses' and reported the incident to the credit card company immediately afterwards and was told that I'd been 'phished'. We received a new card with a new number within a couple of days.

The 'security' staff explained to me what had happened today: They had received a 'relay' call [a type of call that does not reveal where it's originated] from 'us' that 'we' wanted to add an additional person named 'Raquel Augustine' to our credit card account. The caller had provided them with all the correct personal information. But because it was a 'relay' call, the security alert was triggered and we were contacted for verification.

I told the staff the only names that are authorized to use the account. "No one else - no additional names, ever, period!" At the end of the call I was advised to set up a security password instead of using 'Mother's Maiden Name' for verification from now on.

After spending two full hours talking on the phone, I began to realize the magnitude of the problem. Not long ago, StephN had alerted us and most of us have removed personal informaion from our account on Her2support. It's sad that we have to put into extra effort to guard our personal information.

But that's the reality now.

Ps. Can't help but think of the plots in spy movies: our phone (even the landline) could have been 'tagged' and ... :)

StephN
08-03-2011, 10:50 AM
Wow, Jackie. Thanks for the warning. We get calls for surveys, and I NEVER take them now after one of them tried to get more personal information than I thought a survey should ask!

In these times the scammers are clever and change up the scams. One of our local radio stations has a "consumer spot" a few times a day. I can usually catch it when I am out in my car.

They also give warnings from our state attorney general on the latest scams or the new versions.

Hope that is the last you hear of this.

P.S. Love the pic of your father - he is amazing!

BonnieR
08-03-2011, 11:39 AM
Thanks for the heads up. My husband tells me that our credit card was denied in a store yesterday (he just tells me NOW!) so that needs exploring.
I too love your father's photo. So dignified

Jackie07
08-03-2011, 01:37 PM
Thanks, Bonnie, for the comment about my Dad.

He is a retired colonel and had taught schools for ten years after his military career, including 5 years as an elementary school principal in the *'front-line' before retiring again at 65. [*Not a true 'war zone' - the Communist China 'used to' send 'propaganda bombs' to the small islands near their border that were under the military control of Taiwan on a 'fixed schedule' :) Taiwanese ('Free China') military would return similar 'bombs' with flyers and pamphlets to show Chinese citizens living along the coast line of the mainland how to 'seek freedom'. (There were several Airforce pilots who had flewn their airplanes to 'freedom' when I was growing up.) I believe one side was bombing on odd week days and the other side the even week days while Sunday was 'truce' :) [False memory - it should be 'odd days and even days of the month'.]

Residents on those islands had all received military training and were well aware of the bombing schedule and would go to deep underground shelters during the bombing hours. Ocassionally there would be injuries or deaths besides property destruction - then the two sides would be in a tensed situation. Glad all of those were things in the past.]

Below is the statement Father had made in his birthday dinner party that I had posted on my FB [hopefully nobody would steal his identity :)]:

Father stated that he's very content to have reached 96 with good health while his wife, children, daughter-in-laws and son-in-laws, grand children, and two great grand daughters are all still around. "What more can one ask for from life when in old age he is able to eat and drink and is well provided for with all the necessities? [Verbatim: "What else can one ask for when he has come to the stage of life when tea is served within reach and meals are served to one's mouth, and there's no shortage of clothing or food?" – a common Chinese expression meaning one is having a good life.]

He thanked all the younsters who had gethered to celebrate his birthday. He wants them to carry on the good tradition: strong family ties - brothers and sisters taking care of one another with love and trust... etc. He feels he's had a good life.

ElaineM
08-03-2011, 09:05 PM
Thanks Jackie. I agree. We should be as careful as we can both online and elsewhere to prevent problems. Did you know that you can put yourself on a national "Do not call" list"? It helps to prevent alot of unsolicited calls. I haven't gotten unsolicited calls since I put my phone number on that list. The only people who call me are those who have my phone number with my permission.
I think we can also do the same to prevent junk mail both online and at home, but I am not 100% about the junk mail one.

Pray
08-03-2011, 09:21 PM
Jackie,

Thank you so much for sharing your dads wonderful story! (and Picture)

I appreciate this stories that peek into others lives. 96 what a blessing!