PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a new plastic surgeon

Pray
08-01-2011, 08:45 PM
How do you go about looking for a great creditable surgeon? I have looked on the internet and talked to hospital staff.

Jaimieh
08-01-2011, 09:04 PM
What type of surgery are you looking at ?? I had a free flap in NOLA and I HIGHLY recommend and of the doctors at the Breast Restoration Center (I had Dr. Sullivan and Dr. Trahan).

I also had implants first and I had an awesome surgeon here in Baltimore.

Pray
08-01-2011, 10:01 PM
My old ps was to harsh and I'm not happy with what I recieved. I live in Michigan. I'm so glad you are happy with yours. I not sure why he became so mean?

Jackie07
08-02-2011, 12:17 PM
Hi,

Based on my personal experience, the doctors who had become 'mean' were the ones who wanted me to switch to other doctors. Sometimes they even suggested it bluntly to my face. Too bad my twice injured brain was often too slow/confused to pick up the subtle message... :)

We are the consumers. And the doctors know their obligations. Yet we are also human, so inevitably there will be conflicts or miscommunications from time to time. I've found that cards and chocolates always make my doctors smile. (In many Asian countries, it used to be customary for the patient to give cash [in a (red) envelope] to the surgeon before an operation and/or after the delivery [of babies].) I usually try to make a cake for the surgeon when I see him/her at the return appointment. They are always happy to have something they can share with their staff/family members.

It's completely up to you to decide whether or not to 'retain' your plastic surgeon.

The American Medical Association website has a DoctorFinder page for patients to look for/up their doctors:

http://www.ama-assn.org/

Hope everything will smooth out soon. Sending you good vibes.

Pray
08-02-2011, 11:53 PM
Thank you for your reply Jackie.

Silly me I never thought it could just be me. I suspect you could be right!

Pray
09-01-2011, 09:32 PM
A quick update I found a new PS that I like alot! He is very well known in our area. When I saw him at first I did not tell him about my bad experiance with the old one, that I just was looking for a new one to take care of me for the rest of my life. When he examinded me he said well you probably know the reconstructed nipple was put in the wrong place and you must have a lot of rib pain because the skin was put around the implant so tight that your ribs are so exposed especially with the radiation you have had. (You may recall that I came to this site because I was going to have an mri for serious rib pain and the possibility if mets. (the mri was clear!) He also said the breast you have left is two inches lower than the reconstruction one. I couldn't believe it! I just wanted to cry at first. It was so great going to a dr and not having to complain and he just knows whats going on! I am having surgery next Wed. and I have never been so happy going into one! I feel I am on top of the world! God is Good! (all of the time!). Thank you everyone for your support!

P.S. As it turns out before I left he asked me who it was. So I told him and he hung his head down in embaressment and said he taught him!

P.S.S Ok so maybe this wasn't so quick! lol!

BonnieR
09-01-2011, 11:19 PM
So, Pray, your PS was unpleasant because of HIS inadequacy and you reminded him of it everytime he saw you!
I am so happy you found someone new who saw the problems right away and will address them. God IS good. Keep the faith.

Pray
09-02-2011, 10:31 PM
Amen my Sister! Thank you for your response Bonnie!

NEDenise
09-14-2011, 08:25 PM
Pray,
So, how did things turn out!? I hope your pain is gone!!
Please let us know how you are feeling.
God Bless!
Denise

Pray
09-14-2011, 09:45 PM
Hi Nedenise,

I am doing well! My new PS is great He examined me before I said anything and told me several things were wrong! and he fixed them last Wed. He is so amazing! If I had him first I would not have had to have 4 extra surgeries! Thanks for asking. God is good all the time!

Nancy

NEDenise
09-15-2011, 06:58 AM
Nancy,
I'm so happy to hear your news!! You've certainly waited a long time to be rewarded!
God IS good all the time!
Celebrate!
Thanks for the update...I love to read good news!
Denise