PDA

View Full Version : 8 of 14 nodes

Deb33
07-27-2011, 08:28 PM
Crap - got my lymph dissection results and 8 of 14 show mestatic disease. I am so bummed. My original enlarged node shows clear which seems so strange to me that 8 others show diseased. I have my double mastectomy scheduled for Friday and then I guess its off to radiation. Bummer - was looking for some good news and clear nodes would have been perfect.

Jackie07
07-27-2011, 09:10 PM
It does sound weird. I wondered which sample they used to figure out your Her2+++ status back in 2/4/11. It's almost like you were having neoadjuvant chemotherapy first, surgery 2nd, and then follow with more Herceptin.

Will be thinking of you on the 29th.

Blondie
07-27-2011, 11:39 PM
Sorry that it was not the news you were hoping for. Just read one ladies signature who had 35/35 lymph nodes involved- she was diagnosed in 2003- still NED. There are many other ladies with similar node status who are doing well!

I don't have any idea what my lymph node involvement is this time...I had 11 nodes removed 11 yrs back and didn't want to risk lymphodema etc- anyway they didn't think it was cancer, so didn't really think it was necessary.....arghhh

Wishing you all the best!

Blondie

Ellie F
07-28-2011, 02:49 AM
Sorry this wasn't what you wanted to hear but as others have said hang on in there!
Good luck for Friday.Are you having immediate reconstruction?
Will be thinking of you.

Ellie

Deb33
07-28-2011, 06:39 AM
Thanks girls - am having expanders put in since the lat flap is out due to the pending radiation. Need more info from my Oncologist to see what the next step is.

Ellie F
07-28-2011, 09:32 AM
Forgot to say you look F-A-B-U-L-O-U-S without hair.

Ellie

Pray
07-28-2011, 10:40 AM
I second the F-a-b-u-l-o-u-s!! Your obviously a strong woman you will do well! Chime in ofter and all the ladies will help you through every step of the way! Gods blessings to you!

bejuce
07-28-2011, 11:15 AM
Hi Deb,

Sorry to hear that. As you can see from my signature, I too had lots of nodes after chemo. I participated in a neo-adjuvant clinical trial at Stanford and in the end all I had at my mastectomy were residual cells at 11 nodes. The pathology report estimated that 95-98% of the original tumor in the nodes was gone with chemo, and all that was left was small foci of cells (no tumor was found in the breast). I remember talking to my surgeon about it the time, how come the huge tumor in the breast went away but not the nodes? He couldn't come up with an explanation, except to say that sometimes that happens and that the nodes can he harder to reach. One doctor I saw in Orange County last year (Dr. Link) told me that he thinks my prognosis is much better than what the number of nodes would indicate, given the treatment I got and how well I responded to it. So try not to dwell on the number so much.

I had my moments of panic when I found out, but immediately went into attack mode and got my team to give me Xeloda (albeit at a low dose) during my course of radiation. I'm about to celebrate my 2 years from surgery (2 1/2 from diagnosis) in a couple of weeks and I'm fine so far. I plan to be fine for a long, long time.

Given your attitude, smile, and fabulousness, I'm confident you'll be too. We're all here for you if you need support.

Love,

Marcia

Elizabethtx
07-28-2011, 11:19 AM
Well at least you know what you are working with. Good luck and I will say a prayer for you on Friday. I know your surgery will go well. What I find strange is you had no mass, only calcifications, yet have lymph node involvement. That is curious. I am sure Herceptin will knock it all out!

Deb33
07-28-2011, 11:20 AM
You girls are so sweet about the bald comments - seems I can't remember having hair even though its only been 5 months. Dr. Link is my Oncologist and I haven't spoken to him yet. I'm confident he will have an agressive game plan for me. Thank you so much for your feedback - its great to not feel alone in all of this.

snolan
07-28-2011, 01:02 PM
Good luck with your surgery, I know you will come through with flying colors. The fact that you are in good shape will help you bounce back quickly. Some helpful hints. Get a long shoe string to attach the JP drains while showering, get a pillow wedge as lying totally flat hurts for a while. Button up shirts only as you can't raise your arms above your head until the drains come out. Hope this helps.

tricia keegan
07-28-2011, 04:06 PM
Sorry Deb, I was told my nodes were not swelled and should be clear and ended up with three positive! Goes to show we need to wait for that path report!!!

caya
07-28-2011, 07:28 PM
Good luck tomorrow Deb. We'll be cheering for you!!

all the best
caya

yanyan
07-28-2011, 08:36 PM
Hi Deb...good luck on your surgery. I had 10/23 nodes and i am doing fine :) Let me know if you have any questions.. i went with immediate reconstruction with latissimus flap.

yanyan
07-28-2011, 08:50 PM
Oh, your oncologist might not give you an aggressive treatment plan since you have already finished 6 rounds of chemo. I had my surgery after 4 cycles and asked whether i can please get some more. He told me no and the 2 remaining chemos would take care of what surgery couldnt take. So now that i am done with all 6 chemos, i am on herceptin only. I too, was sooooooo depressed and frustrated about how many nodes i had. My oncologists simple answer is "we dont know why many nodes were there, there might be 20 or 30". Now i am 2 months out of surgery, i feel better and finally accepted the fact no matter how many nodes were positive, i still have to live. since i am to live, i want to live beautifully. It may take a while for you to feel positive, as you know our emotions go up and down, but you can do it. (((())))

lkc Gumby
07-29-2011, 01:22 PM
Hi deb, I had 12 out of 14 pos nodes, definitely not what my onc or I expected. ( I also had a negative Mamo a few months prior to my dx)
In any event , That was 6 yrs ago and I am happy well & bilaterally reconstructed.
Blessings to you!

Paula O
07-29-2011, 04:41 PM
Deb,

I had 6 out of 11 nodes test positive. It's hard when we get disappointing news.

We are rooting for ya. I wish you the very best with your surgery and recovery. Is it a one night stay at the hospital planned?

I agree with the others: you are somebody who looks GREAT, hair or no hair! :)

Paula