PDA

View Full Version : tch vs. acth

gqmom
07-12-2011, 03:51 PM
Hi all,
Today I had a second opinion with another oncologist who offered me TCH OR ACTH. HOW can I decide?? I understand the cardiotoxicity issue but I just want to "give it all I've got". What to do????? Any advice?

Jackie07
07-12-2011, 04:13 PM
Have you had a MUGA or Echo cardiogram? If your score is high (such as over 60 in MUGA), I think ACTH is worth trying because it has both the anthracycline type of drug and Herceptin. The two classes of drugs aim at different parts of the cell structure.

Please look up the treatment history (in the signature field) of new members in the New Comers Club/Welcome Wagon page. I seem to have read quite a few ACTH lately.

ammebarb
07-12-2011, 07:37 PM
My sister received the ACTH for her early stage 2 breast cancer. The "A" part was not done at the same time as the herceptin because of the possibility of cardiotoxicity. Her oncologist characterized this regimen as the "heavy guns". She was grateful for being able to tolerate it, feeling like she had done the most she could with her chemo and herceptin. I suppose oncologists decide on specific regimens for so many reasons. Did your second opinion doctor favor one over the other? Best wishes with your decision, and with your chemo and Herceptin.

Barb A.

Rich66
07-12-2011, 07:57 PM
Is this adjuvant? What pathology?

gqmom
07-12-2011, 08:35 PM
Stage 2, ER/PR -, Her2 pos (obviously); grade 3; 4cm (80% DCIS) with two small areas of invasive cancer; micromet in 1/6 nodes.

Rich66
07-12-2011, 08:44 PM
I am less versed in adjuvant. Any possibility of adding in Tykerb along the line? Another issue is interval. Weekly might give you benefit with less toxicity. Oh...and Metformin pill (link (http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=39740)) might help you battle those pesky cancer stem cells.

tricia keegan
07-13-2011, 12:21 PM
I had the A/C/T/H and while I did find adriamycin tough going it was "do-able" and I had no heart or other issue's throughout, looking back I'm glad I was able to handle it as so far something has worked for me:)
Good luck with your decision!

Jean
07-13-2011, 07:12 PM
ggmom,
Can understand your concern. You need to examine your pathology report. You are er negative which means no other adjuvent treatment such as a AI. Also you had some node invasion ...you can search on the site for the RESULTs of the TCH verses the A/C trials.

Wish you the very best in your treatment choice.
jean