PDA

View Full Version : I might be in trouble.

Pray
07-06-2011, 08:15 PM
I saw my onc. today and Friday I need a bone scan and have to see my sur. I have to painful spots on one rib and some kind of nodule the size of a dime between two ribs the one that has pain in it and the one above it.
I am hoping to leave on a two week camping trip Saturday. I'm only out 7months from my last herceptin, isn't this kind of early to have bone met? Has anyone had this happen to them? I am trying not to worry It could turn out to be nothing right?

Ishy

Rich66
07-06-2011, 08:56 PM
Pain and/or scar tissue near mastectomy site? What do you mean by "sur"?

hutchibk
07-06-2011, 09:00 PM
I think it's short for surgeon...

Rich66
07-06-2011, 09:08 PM
Ah..............

Pray
07-06-2011, 09:09 PM
Yes it is surgeon. Thank you Brenda. I am sorry I don't know know all the abbreviations everyone uses here. There seems to be so many. Thank you both for responding so quickly! When pressure was applied to two spots on one rib it was very pain full and my onc. said it was to far from the surgical site to be scar tissue and you can move it some. I have had Pain in the past 2 months, I just assumed it was just a new part I was starting to feel again.

michka
07-07-2011, 10:25 AM
Ishy, you have to have it checked but it may be nothing. I have painful spots on some ribs since radiation more than 4 years ago.. Did you have radiation?
Michka

tricia keegan
07-07-2011, 02:35 PM
My friend had a similar issue and pain and it turned out she had a fractured rib!!
I hope it's something easily treated than what you fear, good luck and keep us posted:)

Pray
07-07-2011, 05:25 PM
Thank you for your responses. I did have radiation on that side. It does sound logical that it could be from radiation. I had not thoutht of that. I guess I was thinking that radiation pain would all be gone by now.

yanyan
07-07-2011, 05:39 PM
I think it is always safe to get it checked. I suppose you have follow up visits with your oncologist every 3 months after the treatment? Do they monitor your tumor marker? If you have an elevated result, your doctor should send you for a check up on your pain. good luck with everything!

Pray
07-07-2011, 07:38 PM
I'm ashamed to say I had a women tell me some time ago that they only check tumer markers for ovarian cancer. So I never thought to ask! I have read alot on this site about people checking there markers I didn't think it applied to me. I have'nt had the chance to 3 months with out seeing my onc.

Lien
07-08-2011, 07:48 AM
Hi Ishy,

Ive been told it is quite commong to get pain in the ribs after rads. I had it too, and it came and went for a few years. It scared the living daylights out of me the first time, but then it went away and didn't return until a year or so later. I could also feel some swelling that moved a little when it palpated it.

Here in the Netherlands we don't do tumor markers unless patients are stage 4 and in active treatment. They are notoriously unreliable, although for some they seem to indicate disease progression before the mets show up on any kind of imaging technique.

It is ofcourse possible that these are bone mets, but it is highly unlikely. So try not to panic just yet. (I know how hard that is).

You have done all the right things to avoid a recurrence and I know many women who had your kind of path report, who are over 10 year out from diagnosis and doing fine.

So breathe in, breathe out and get it checked to be on the safe side, but don't get too worried.

Hugs

Jacqueline

Pray
07-08-2011, 12:03 PM
Thank you Jacqueline For your reply! Positive coments always feel good!

I had my bone scan today and inbetween the sessions I saw my surgical onc. We think the little nodules are probably fatty masses. We will wait and see. I see her in 3 weeks.

During the bone scan I could see the pictures and I saw a fairly large dark spot where I am having the pain. I'm sure I am just seeing things because I asked the woman who performed the scan if she thought it looked good and she said they got good pictures and they didn't need to do any extra scans. I hope it is just nothing and I'm just parinoid. My onc. can get the results on line Tuesday. Of course I will be up north for the next two weeks where you have to be in town to use your phone! I feel pretty good about how the day went and everyone seemed up beat and positive. So I will be happy and upbeat enjoying my family on our trip! I appreciate all of you so much!

Peace,

Ishy

JennyB
07-08-2011, 02:09 PM
Ishy,

I had terrible back pain thoughout the pregnancy that I was carrying when diagnosed and when I had the bone scan after his birth there was a big patch in the same area, my onc calmed me down said it was pregnancy related but I guess I didn't ever really beleive him no matter how much I talked myself into it. I had repeat scans a few months later and it was still there no change and no mets the patch was too symetrical. I am now calm about the back problems I guess I am in the '50%'? or so of adults with back pain.
Pain in the ribs after all that we survivors go through in that area is surely quite common?? I know I am starting to get pains there too!
Good luck with your results on Tuesday and enjoy your holidays
Jenny x

Pray
07-08-2011, 08:25 PM
Hi Jenny,

Thank you for your response Your beautiful Baby looks like he was worth every ounce of your back pain! Gods blessings to you. I hope there is an end to your back pain some time soon! As for enjoying our holiday I will do just that. Take good care.

Ishy

Pray
07-24-2011, 11:51 PM
Hello,

My onc. called me on my 3rd day of vacation. I was looking at a beautiful pond surrounded by sand dunes when he said my bone scan was CLEAR! I am so Happy!! I just feel so unbelievably Blessed! I am really feeling I just might make it!!! Thank you everyone for your support!!! My onc. and my surgeon will see me again to check on the fatty spots under my arm over the next two weeks. I feel very positive and I'm no longer worried about the rib pain!

caya
07-25-2011, 08:28 AM
Great news Ishy Lacey - enjoy the rest of your vacation.

all the best
caya

yanyan
07-25-2011, 09:29 AM
Great news, Ishy.. so very happy for you !!! Enjoy your vacation :)

Pray
07-25-2011, 09:37 PM
Than you Caya and Yanyan! I hope I will never have to use the title of this thread again!!

Laurie7
07-25-2011, 10:30 PM
So happy for you to receive such amazing news!!

sassy
07-26-2011, 12:01 AM
Ishy,

So glad you got good news. Rib pain is quite common for many of us. I am six years out and still have rib pain, especially when over tired. Comes and goes.

Take a deep breath and relax now!

tricia keegan
07-26-2011, 11:29 AM
Great news and enjoy the rest of your vacation!:)

Myra Lynn
08-05-2011, 10:35 PM
I was away & just saw your post. Could not be happier for you!

Pray
08-05-2011, 10:56 PM
Thank you everyone for your wonderful responses! It sure is a great feeling to what a blessing every day is! God is good all the time!

Jackie07
08-06-2011, 02:51 AM
Thanks for sharing the wonderful news. Happy vacation!