PDA

View Full Version : 1st on Halaven, now 1st off of it

Sheila
07-05-2011, 05:02 PM
Seems after the initial miraculous response to Halaven...(Eribulen Mesylate) , the body is now showing a mixed response....my CT looked great, but the neck nodes doubled in 2 weeks and now another large one...so game change yet again...I sure wish the cancer wasnt so smart. I will begin Gemzar with Herceptin next week.....I did get 7 months out of the Halaven, and I am thankful.....seems I am one of the few getting my hair back while still on it.....I must have amazing hair follicles!
So on to Gemzar.....hoping it will be my magic for a while...seems it will be weekly...not looking forward to being tethered to the IV bag that frequently...but we do what we must. Hoping I will still feel good enough to help my sister, as she goes through a double mastectomy and bilateral sentinel node dissection in 2 weeks.

New Avatar is my Dad and I at Relay, celebrating 35 yrs total of cancer survival.

krisvell
07-05-2011, 05:27 PM
Oh Sheila,
You are such an inspiration for me to fight on. Wishing you all the best in your new treatment and for this to be the one that OUTSMARTS the cancer. 35 Years! very impressive.
You will be there for your sister! I truly hope you feel well.
Hugs and Prayers,

Kris.....

Elizabethtx
07-05-2011, 05:56 PM
I love your positive hopeful outlook! Here's hoping that the new treatment will be the answer! You are strong, so keep your spirits up. Hugs!
Elizabeth

chicagoetc
07-05-2011, 06:00 PM
Sheila,

If there is a role model worth paying attention to, it is you! Miss our lunches but understand that there is more than enough going on where you are. Blessings to you and your sister during this time...

Melanie

Rich66
07-05-2011, 06:50 PM
Will you be getting Herceptin with that?
Edit
Never mind..I can read;)

caya
07-05-2011, 06:52 PM
Sheila, you are one brave WARRIOR WOMAN!! Keep on fighting - love the pic of you and your Dad.

all the best
caya

Laurel
07-05-2011, 07:26 PM
Love the photo of you and your Pop! Really sorry the run on Halaven is over. I was hoping that would go much longer. Skin mets still under cover for now? Well, here's to hopin' that Gemzar is another magic bullet that gives you a long run, my friend.

ElaineM
07-05-2011, 08:04 PM
I am sorry to hear your Halaven journey is over. I will keep my fingers crossed the Herceptin and Gemzar will work for you. Nice photo of you and your Dad. The two of you are quite a team !!!!!!!! All the best to your sister.
I will keep my fingers crossed for her too.

chrisy
07-05-2011, 09:41 PM
Sheila,
Good on the internal stuff. Boo on the nodes-They are really stubborn and just not getting on the program. Hoping gemzar will fool them.

I know that supporting your sister is important to you, but don't forget to take care of your beautiful self.

Much love
Chris

sassy
07-05-2011, 10:23 PM
Sheila,

Sorry the Halaven has slowed its work and hoping Gemzar will pick it up. You continue to be our leader of HOPE.

Love the pic of you and Dad--they really are special people aren't they!

Keeping you in my prayers.

StephN
07-06-2011, 12:29 AM
Well, friend, it seems to be mushroom season again - on your neck! Hope Gemzar will saw them off at the root. Understand it is a long drive and takes a whole day out of every week for the new treatment. It WILL be worth the effort.

My best thoughts going toward your dear sister and her new challenges.

Wonder what happened to foil the Halaven so suddenly?

Trish
07-06-2011, 03:34 AM
I hope the Gemzar does the trick on those neck nodes and your sister copes OK with her treatment. Love the pic with your Dad and look forward to the photo with you, your Dad and your sister celebrating 50 years of cancer survival in total.
Trish

Shobha
07-06-2011, 07:47 AM
Sheila,

Wishing you very good results with your next treatment! Your positive attitude is such an inspiration for me. You are in my prayers.

hugs,
shobha

Becky
07-06-2011, 07:56 AM
Those pesky nodes, oh rats. I am sure you will have good results with Gemzar and Herceptin. Can they add Tykerb back?

I love you lots Girl.

Joan M
07-06-2011, 03:02 PM
Sheila,

Those damn neck nodes again. They are feisty. But your getting 7 months out of Halaven is a good response. The Gemzar and Herceptin protocol will also help in pushing them back.

I thinking about your sister and wishing her a good outcome.

Joan

Barbara H.
07-06-2011, 06:00 PM
Sheila,
My thoughts are with you. It is always a difficult adjustment when a treatment stops working. Gemzar may also shrink those nodes and hopefully bring you to NED. I also hope that all goes well for your sister.
Best wishes,
Barbara H.

Jean
07-06-2011, 07:21 PM
Sheila,
Love the photo of you and your handsome Dad.
You are truly wonder women!!!!
Sending you huge hugs and best wishes on the new treatment.

Jean

ammebarb
07-07-2011, 05:53 AM
Thinking of you as you begin a new regimen, and also thinking of your sis. Great picture of you and your dad! Hope you get good results quickly, Sheila.

Barb A.

michka
07-07-2011, 10:15 AM
We had some good news on the forum and bang! I read your post Sheila. I was hoping so much for you, our courageous Halaven pioneer. 7 months is not enough. You deserve more. You deserve Ned.I hope the next combo will get you there. Thinking of you. Michka

tricia keegan
07-07-2011, 02:41 PM
Oh not the news I wanted to read Sheila but onward and upward like the true fighter you are and praying you have a great response to the Gemzar, weekly may be a pain but hopefully the smaller dosage will make any side effects less too!! xx
My best to your sis also!

Pam P
07-07-2011, 04:11 PM
Sheila --I'm angry that halaven has failed you - hoped you'd get a longer ride on it but we'll trust that gemzar will pick up now and drive those nodes back and everything else too. I think gemzar was fairly easy on me and hopefully will be good to your counts too. Wishing you and your sister all the best in the coming days and weeks and always. Pam

Ceesun
07-08-2011, 07:57 AM
Sheila, Wishing you much success with the gemzar and herceptin combo. Ceesun

Kavy
07-09-2011, 11:16 PM
Sheila.
I'm so sorry to hear that Halaven stopped working for you. I hope that Gemzar/herceptin will be a great combo for you. It was an easy combo for me, much easier than Halaven.
I'm also very sorry to hear about your sister. I pray that everything goes well on her surgery.
A big hug for both of you.
KarlaV.