PDA

View Full Version : no confidence in onc or radiologist

spanisheyes
07-02-2011, 06:36 PM
Hi everyone, I usually just read on this wonderful forum and it has kept me sane the last year but I am so angry with everyone I just had to vent.
I saw my onc for checks after finishing last herceptin in June and got results from mammogram. He said that there are some new microcalcifications which are linear (dont really know what that means) but he said I shouldn't worry too much about them. I then asked him what about the 0.8mm tumour that was left in my breast after surgery? he didn't have an answer for me and just said that I must have confidence in the radiologist! I reminded him that I was supposed to have that lump checked on ultrasound every six months and he looked at me as though I was mad. He said that the radiologist didnt think that was necessary and nothing showed up on mammogram. It never does, I had 3 malignant IDC which never showed on mammo at all only on mri. So now I am really worried and confused by all this. New calcifications and the remaining lump just being ignored. I do have very dense breasts and assumed that I would receive ultrasounds as well as mammos but not to be! I am now very tempted to go private and have an ultrasound but really cant afford to do this. My onc also refused to have my cath-port removed, he said I should keep it for at least another six months because it was very expensive.

ElaineM
07-02-2011, 08:34 PM
If I were in your shoes I would try to see another doctor for a second opinion. It might also be best to find another doctor at another medical office or hospital.
Take care of yourself. Feel free to drop by www.her2support.org (http://www.her2support.org) anytime.

hutchibk
07-02-2011, 09:23 PM
I agree 100% with Elaine. I don't know the limitations of the National Health Service in Spain, but if you can shop around for a more compassionate and proactive doctor, I would immediately.

Best wishes. Please keep us posted.

BonnieR
07-02-2011, 09:55 PM
I agree with the others, that you should get a second opinion. You may have to pay for the consultation but it would be worth the peace of mind and the clarification that it should provide.

Does the facility where you get treatment have any sort of patient advocate or social service who could intervene for you?
Keep the faith. Let us know what happens.

sarah
07-02-2011, 11:58 PM
I agree with the others, get a second opinion from an oncologist and a radiologist even if you have to pay out of pocket. And if you find a doctor you like, switch doctors. I'd be very surprised if you aren't allowed to have a second opinion.
In France you can get as many opinions as you like and go anywhere in the country for them (pay your own airfare) and of course change doctors easily - I've done that on several occaisions (oncologist, radiologist and hospitals) and my universal 100% coverage just followed me. So I'd find it unusual, if another EU country was very different.
You definitely must have confidence with your oncologist.
health and happiness
love sarah
~

Jackie07
07-03-2011, 12:56 AM
After 'they' had missed my recurrence for four straight years, I insisted on bilateral mastectomy even though there's only one tumor in the right breast growing out of the residue cells. I don't care about what statistics say any more. I just care about my own health, my own body, my own unique situation.

I also insisted on a hysterectomy/oophorectomy last year after receiving the genetic testing result and learning about a new family cancer incident.

When I went to my family doctor ask for an MRI after experiencing 'vertigo' type of sensation last year, he questioned my sanity (because he was not aware of my brain tumor history) It turned out I did have tumor growth (Central Neurocytoma - unrelated to BC) and I wasn't crazy!

I now do my own research; request my own referrals; and take charge of my own destiny.

tricia keegan
07-03-2011, 02:15 PM
I have two friends in Spain who moved there from the U.K and are receiving wonderful care from their Onc. If you'd like to send me a pm with your location maybe they can help to suggest another opinion close to you?
This does'nt sound right to me either and most of my friends with dense breasts are getting mri's, but certainly an US is a must!
You're quite right to question this Dr!

P.S Sorry I've just seen your location on your signature, I have a friend in Sotogrande, another in Calpe Alicante and a third not too far from Barcelona, is this anywhere near you???

Lien
07-04-2011, 03:12 PM
Even if the docs think you shouldn't do any other tests, they should at least explain why they make those decisions. And if you don't feel comfortable with the way you are treated, find another doctor. Travel to another hospital if you need to. Go online and find a good doc in your area, someone you can trust.

This is your life, your body and your fear we are talking about. It shouldn't be their decision whether you get tested or not. It should be at least something you decide on together.

Jacqueline

spanisheyes
07-04-2011, 06:25 PM
thanks everyone for all yr messages. Today I went to see a private doctor and she has ordered an ultrasound for me, I dont know what we will have to pay for all this but for my peace of mind it will be worth it. I will be posting to let you all know the results and hopefully will be able to sleep then. goodnight all

tricia keegan
07-05-2011, 02:47 PM
Sending good wishes and hope you get answers!!!:)

spanisheyes
07-06-2011, 12:33 PM
good news! went for an ultrasound in private hospital and all looks good. She couldnt find any tumour and said that the chemo had done its work on it so not to worry. She did say that I should have mri's though because of having dense breasts and to keep nagging my onc. She found a hemotoma on left breast and I am waiting to see if I have to have it drained. I dont really see the point because it has probably been there for a year now, I did have a couple straight after surgery and had to have them drained and it was quite nasty. I actually slept last night and feel so much happier now.
I am also very grateful to all of you ladies for messaging me, I have been reading all yr posts for over a year now but have never had the courage to write myself. That has all changed now and I will continue to read and post too. Maybe I can help someone sometime you never know.
We are also going to investigate the cost of having mri privately just in case Torrevieja hospital continue to refuse them to me. I cannot change hospitals here, even to change doctors is extremely difficult. Will stay with them but am more knowledgeable now and will keep argueing my case for mri's and ultrasound and not just mammos.